Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
That might cause some frequent calculation on the order in which the spells are cast - mages would always start with the more costly spells and then proceed to the cheaper ones. This gets worse with the larger Maintenance Penalty I have established.
That is not metagaming. Rather, the characters who live in the world understand magic to such an extent that they know that that's the most efficient and safest order in which to cast a series of spells.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #12
Jürgen Hubert
 
Jürgen Hubert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kassel, Germany
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
That is not metagaming. Rather, the characters who live in the world understand magic to such an extent that they know that that's the most efficient and safest order in which to cast a series of spells.
While this is true, it also drags the game down - which I want to avoid.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Honestly, the easiest option is to just toss fatigue cost reduction for skill completely, and if there's spells that you really want people to be able to maintain for long periods (e.g. Night Vision) bump their duration from Minute to Hour.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
brianfb
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Honestly, the easiest option is to just toss fatigue cost reduction for skill completely, and if there's spells that you really want people to be able to maintain for long periods (e.g. Night Vision) bump their duration from Minute to Hour.
That probably makes sense for 500 point characters, but a 100 point mage gets his one main combat spell to 15 so he can do 1 die attacks for free even after he has cast two spells and burned through his fatigue. Without this mechanic 100 point wizards would be using crossbows, at that point what's the fun in being a wizard?
__________________
My Campaign Website
brianfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfb View Post
That probably makes sense for 500 point characters, but a 100 point mage gets his one main combat spell to 15 so he can do 1 die attacks for free even after he has cast two spells and burned through his fatigue. Without this mechanic 100 point wizards would be using crossbows, at that point what's the fun in being a wizard?
Change missile and jet spells to cost 2/minute, and you can use them at will for the duration. Or change the cost from (dice) to (dice-1, minimum 1).
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-07-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
L.J.Steele
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

GURPS Mysteries has some comments on 4th Ed. Magic. There are implications of concepts like magic having signatures, and traces that you can track, but no real guidelines on how it works. This has a number of implications for how mystery solving works in the setting. Would be nice to see some of those resolved.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #17
benz72
 
benz72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Park, San Diego
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
GURPS Mysteries has some comments on 4th Ed. Magic. There are implications of concepts like magic having signatures, and traces that you can track, but no real guidelines on how it works. This has a number of implications for how mystery solving works in the setting. Would be nice to see some of those resolved.
That provides a good opportunity to enhance the functionality of things like Aura and Conceal Magic
__________________
Benundefined
Life has a funny way of making sure you decide to leave the party just a few minutes too late to avoid trouble.
benz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #18
Peter Knutsen
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
I don't like this idea because it makes high-energy spells (already dubious when energy cost is higher than 10) too risky. Energy reduction works better as an optional skill penalty to opt into than as an unreliable result of rolling.
That'd be my preference too. I like character-choice based casting.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #19
Gnomasz
 
Gnomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Poland
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would generally prefer to work energy and casting modifiers in the same way as damage bonuses from brawling, karate, etc -- e.g. "if you have a skill of at least IQ+Magery, -1 fp cost". That means high IQ and magery don't help at all for costs, they're only relevant for casting probability.
I've just started testing cost reduction based on relative skill: -1 at 4 points invested and -2 at 12 points (there's no need to think about higher breakpoints for now), but it's been only one session, so I can't really judge the effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
While this is true, it also drags the game down - which I want to avoid.
How about mages who would risk many rolls at 6 or less in the morning just to lower the maintenance cost?

To be honest, the "revising Magic" theme makes me weary. We all tweak the whole system in many ways, but spells seem to be the only thing that gets mostly "fixes" and not "our takes". And frankly, all those fixes are based on personal preference. Magic could use some errata with it's frivolous use of the word "permanent", but "this breaks the game if coupled with Magery 20" isn't really a system issue, just like a huge corrosive aura on 200 points wouldn't indicate a problem with Innate Attack advantage, but with what's allowed in the campaign. So maybe we should stop fixing Magic and start just using it like we use Powers?
Phew. With that rant out of the system, back to topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
-3 for each halving of the casting time
Has anyone tried using the Time spent rules from Campaigns for magic? Adding yet another pattern, beside those rules and Power Blow, seems like over-complicating things.
__________________
I'm a 6′ Pole. Of course I'm useful!
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #20
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Revising GURPS Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
Has anyone tried using the Time spent rules from Campaigns for magic? Adding yet another pattern, beside those rules and Power Blow, seems like over-complicating things.
There's a variant on it in Worminghall: You can't spend extra time on the spell roll, but you can get a bonus to effective skill in any spell with Symbol Drawing, and you can take extra time on Symbol Drawing, going from one second for a quick squiggle to 30 seconds for an elaborate diagram. That can give you a fair bonus to every spell as a payoff for good lab technique. I tried it out in a campaign about apprentice mages in their first year at university, and it seemed to work pretty well.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gurps magic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.