Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique
 
Qoltar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A.
Default D&D 5th edition - which book to keep, most generic or useful?

Greetings gamers,

Simple Question - if you were to decide to sell off two of the main three core books of "Dungeons & Dragons" 5th edition and KEEP one of the the three - Which two do you sell?

Which one Do you Keep for future use?

Players Handbook - Keep or sell?
Monster Manual - Keep it or sell it?
Dungeon Master's Guide - keep or sell?

In other words - which of those three books has the most 'generic' or useful stuff that could possibly applied to other role playing games in the future?

I mostly tend to be the GM or the DM of an RPG.
Whats best to keep? What is best to sell off? (To Half Price books or somewhere similar)

- Ed C.
__________________
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me....


A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: D&D 5th edition - which book to keep, most generic or useful?

Depends on what you're thinking of doing.

The PHB is sufficient to let you run a game, and is certainly all you need to play in a game.
The DMG contains general purpose GMing information that is valid for multiple games, though experienced GMs probably already know it.
The Monster Manual is a bestiary. You could convert it to another game system, though mostly the same monsters can be found elsewhere.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: D&D 5th edition - which book to keep, most generic or useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Greetings gamers,

Simple Question - if you were to decide to sell off two of the main three core books of "Dungeons & Dragons" 5th edition and KEEP one of the the three - Which two do you sell?

Which one Do you Keep for future use?

Players Handbook - Keep or sell?
Monster Manual - Keep it or sell it?
Dungeon Master's Guide - keep or sell?

In other words - which of those three books has the most 'generic' or useful stuff that could possibly applied to other role playing games in the future?

I mostly tend to be the GM or the DM of an RPG.
Whats best to keep? What is best to sell off? (To Half Price books or somewhere similar)

- Ed C.
Monster Manual, obviously. That's full of generally useful ideas.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
adm
 
adm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MO, U.S.A.
Default Re: D&D 5th edition - which book to keep, most generic or useful?

Here are the basic rules from the publisher for free covering the PHB and DMG, keep the Monster Manuel.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...e-document-srd
__________________
Xenophilia is Dr. Who. Plus Lecherous is Jack Harkness.- Anaraxes
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
thastygliax
 
thastygliax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Default Re: D&D 5th edition - which book to keep, most generic or useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Here are the basic rules from the publisher for free covering the PHB and DMG, keep the Monster Manuel.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...e-document-srd
That SRD, which IIRC is essentially identical to the free Basic Rules documents, also includes an abbreviated bestiary drawn from the MM. Frankly, all three books are grossly short-changed (for example, the PHB section only includes one subrace per race, one subclass per class, and almost no backgrounds).

My own perspective on this question pretty much matches Anthony's:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Depends on what you're thinking of doing.

The PHB is sufficient to let you run a game, and is certainly all you need to play in a game.
The DMG contains general purpose GMing information that is valid for multiple games, though experienced GMs probably already know it.
The Monster Manual is a bestiary. You could convert it to another game system, though mostly the same monsters can be found elsewhere.
__________________
Tim Emrick / my blog: Studded Plate / my gaming site: Thastygliax's Vault
thastygliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: D&D 5th edition - which book to keep, most generic or useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Greetings gamers,

Simple Question - if you were to decide to sell off two of the main three core books of "Dungeons & Dragons" 5th edition and KEEP one of the the three - Which two do you sell?

Which one Do you Keep for future use?

Players Handbook - Keep or sell?
Monster Manual - Keep it or sell it?
Dungeon Master's Guide - keep or sell?

In other words - which of those three books has the most 'generic' or useful stuff that could possibly applied to other role playing games in the future?

I mostly tend to be the GM or the DM of an RPG.
Whats best to keep? What is best to sell off? (To Half Price books or somewhere similar)

- Ed C.
Nothing generic there, really.

The MM is the closest - only about 20-25% is rules material. Almost 40% is art.

The DMG advice is passable, but about half the page count is mechanical. A large part is the mechanics for the magic items list.

The PHB is 80% rules, 15% art, 5% non-art fluff.

if I were not going to run/play it again, the MM is the only one worth keeping, and even then, other sources are better at presenting the information for most of the content.

Sell them all, or keep all 3.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.