Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #31
Daigoro

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
The main difference is the presence or absence of small players. With single owner, such as a consortium, you probably won't run into "this is a standalone startup that is making their gate, it does not follow the regulations of top dogs and is in fact trying to fight against them", while with no single owner that situation is reasonably available during a campaign.
I think the results of the votes will end up being guidelines. So if we have D, then the setting will basically have one consortium, but when we get to fleshing out the setting, I can't see anyone objecting if you put forward a startup company that wants to make their own wormholes. The difference would be whether those startups were in the history of the setting, and had become successful, or in the present, and are fighting off pressure from the big boys.
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
Steampunk: Colonial Steam
Daigoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #32
Daigoro

As we mentioned earlier, one of the issues with the voting threads is the burden on the main coordinator. I have a suggestion, but I'd want Frost to okay it first.

If the thread coordinator is unable to get to the thread for a day or two, the voting could be handled by a roster of deputy coordinators. Each deputy handles one set of questions for one day- posting the questions and options, answering queries, then collating the votes- then hands over to the next deputy on the roster.

This keeps the voting game going while taking the sole responsibility off the OP.

However, I would also quite understand if the OP wanted to keep a tight rein on the questions for the setting. Things might come up or get settled that he had other plans for, or even unimaginably worse things could happen.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #33
(E)

One thing that all the previous methods have in common is that they all seek to build the whole world* in one go. There may be benefits to creating a town or the like** first and then expanding from there.

To say it another way why not make a town that is built with play-ability as a central idea and from there backwork and brainstorm the rest of the world.

*planet, galaxy, dimension etc.

**castle, spacestation, city etc.

Last edited by (E); 03-23-2017 at 09:05 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 PM   #34
tshiggins

I dunno. I don't tend to work from "more specific" to "more detailed." Instead, I define the type of setting I want, create a framework for it, and then fill in the details.

On the "space opera" thread, we didn't do that, and the problem with "space opera" is that it's so broad. Star Trek is space opera, but so is Star Wars -- and Battlestar Galactica, and The Chronicles of Riddick, and Alien/Prometheus, and even Firefly. That meant everybody worked to create the "space opera setting" each of us wanted, instead of voting to decide the type of space opera (Plato's Republic in spaaace, or a hero's journey, or explorations into what it means to be "human," or a military/covert op campaign, or a bug hunt, or scruffy ne'er-do-wells trying to scrape by, or TOTALLY AWESOME GALACTIC POWER, or whatnot) that we would all work toward.

A shared understanding of the expected outcome helps keep people focused, and that helps keep them motivated, if for no other reason than those who don't care for that end result choose to opt out.

Last edited by tshiggins; 03-23-2017 at 11:28 PM.
tshiggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #35
Daigoro

Updating the list in Post #2 with some recent efforts:

[Game] Generate a military sci-fi setting
[Game] Collaborative world building for DFRPG
Create a setting -- diesel punk awesomeness!
Shared space setting

Tags
collaboration, collaborative setting, setting building, worldbuilding