Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Anders

Default Making special ammunition

I assume you use Armoury to make special ammunition, but how difficult would it be? I can't find any rules for it - -1 or -2 per Cost Factor (rounded up)? For a quick-and-dirty system.

Also, why does Steve Jackson use the English spelling of Armoury?
Old 06-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Making special ammunition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I assume you use Armoury to make special ammunition, but how difficult would it be? I can't find any rules for it - -1 or -2 per Cost Factor (rounded up)? For a quick-and-dirty system.
From accounts of doing this with silver you can't make bullets out of pure silver at all without special equipment. You ahve to ahve a hotter fire and special molds. That's probably not a thing you can make up with higher expertise and/or a little Luck.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Prince Charon

Quote:

I would actually suggest using Jeweler or whatever skill silversmiths have to make the actual slug, while Armoury would be what you use to mount it in the case (if it's cased ammo).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I assume you use Armoury to make special ammunition, but how difficult would it be?
Not that hard, given correct tools and familiarity. See Horror, p.52, and High-Tech, p. 174.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:07 AM   #5
The Colonel

I would also suspect that, given access to a CNC machine and the right model files, you could probably knock the bullets out without Armoury at all. Probably still need it to hand load them, but that shouldn't be any harder than loading any other kind of round.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Refplace

It recall depends on the round your making.
Solid slugs (or shot) would likely require Smith or Jeweler depending on the metal. Artist or carpentry for wooden slugs.
But I would require Armoury (yeah that spelling bugs me too) for complicated slugs like sabot APEP, HEI, APT, rounds and such.
Armoury to put the pieces together, you need to know the right amount of powder, how to use the tools, crimping machine, insert the primer without setting it off, etc. And of course gauging the whole thing so it fits properly.

So I would go with Armoury (firearms) and either buy or make the components with another skill as needed.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
Stormcrow

Quote:
Kromm has opined:
Quote:
"Armoury" is the only word in standard GURPS jargon that, when checking spelling with Word, is absent from the English (United States) lexicon but present in the English (United Kingdom) lexicon. I know of no formal reason to use "armoury" in American English, so I would suppose that it was someone's preferred spelling back in the 1980s, left alone to avoid correcting dozens of documents.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
From accounts of doing this with silver you can't make bullets out of pure silver at all without special equipment. You ahve to ahve a hotter fire and special molds. That's probably not a thing you can make up with higher expertise and/or a little Luck.
Apparently you can lathe silver bullets as well - if you are willing to tolerate the loss of some silver to the shavings.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Apparently you can lathe silver bullets as well - if you are willing to tolerate the loss of some silver to the shavings.

Luke
You'd need some bullion of greater thickness than the desired diameter. Some silver (and gold) bars are not very thick.

I have to wonder every time this comes up "Why are people not simply loading chunks of silver into shotgun shells?".
Old 06-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You'd need some bullion of greater thickness than the desired diameter. Some silver (and gold) bars are not very thick.

I have to wonder every time this comes up "Why are people not simply loading chunks of silver into shotgun shells?".
Ballistics would be pretty bad if you didnt turn them into small chunks and preferably round ones.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammunition, armoury