Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Anders

Default Gold bullets

Gold is a bit harder than lead, and about twice as dense. Price aside, would it be good material for bullets, filling the same function as lead?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Gold bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Gold is a bit harder than lead, and about twice as dense. Price aside, would it be good material for bullets, filling the same function as lead?
It's enough heavier than lead, copper, or steel that it might cause problems trying to use it in a gun designed to use lighter metals, but otherwise seems like it would work fine.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
Imbicatus

You’d likely have shorter ranges due to the denser rounds, and it would be horribly expensive. It should work, but unless you are fighting something supernatural with a vulnerability to gold, I can’t imagine a scenario where you would choose to make them.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Dr. Beckenstein

Wouldn't have somebody used it if it would be worth the effort?

BTW, High Tech states (p. 168) that gold would do normal damage.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
There's the occasional historical mention of someone experimenting with gold bullets as a vanity or out of desperation (I remember reading something about a chieftain in West Africa loading his guns with bits of gold once he had run out of lead shot to fire at the Dutch who were attacking him), but given the immense cost of gold ammunition, I doubt it's possible that they would have been so good as to be, as you say, worth the effort.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
'Worth the effort' means 'enough better to cover the difference in cost'. Which for gold is almost certainly no. That doesn't mean it doesn't work for basic bullet purposes.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Varyon

I considered this for a possible setting in which gold was markedly more plentiful, but ultimately decided the military would probably be better off using longer bullets made of lead. Without some special property, gold bullets are simply heavy for their size. All else being equal, a gold bullet will be slower but effectively experience reduced air resistance, giving it a longer effective range and making it less susceptible to deflection by wind (and possibly solid barriers like windows, doors, etc).
Old 06-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
You’d likely have shorter ranges due to the denser rounds, and it would be horribly expensive. It should work, but unless you are fighting something supernatural with a vulnerability to gold, I can’t imagine a scenario where you would choose to make them.
Denser rounds will only shorten your range if they lower your muzzle velocity - and if they do that they may also impact your damage. And in some weapons, malfunction chance.

High density is a useful quality for projectile construction.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

Of course, if supernatural predators have Regeneration (Very Rapid; Bane, Gold, -5%) [95] and Unkillable 2 (Achilles Heel, Gold, -10%) [90], a civilization may find gold bullets very useful, as they otherwise cannot kill the supernatural predators off.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Of course, if supernatural predators have Regeneration (Very Rapid; Bane, Gold, -5%) [95] and Unkillable 2 (Achilles Heel, Gold, -10%) [90], a civilization may find gold bullets very useful, as they otherwise cannot kill the supernatural predators off.
They need gold something to kill them, but regular bullets with an assault rifle and a gold bayonet might be better.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullets, gold