Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #41
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Gold bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That is true, but while it's typical for a heavier bullet to have more energy, it seems to me that it would be unexpected for that effect of greater mass to result in higher muzzle velocity. (Not impossible, but it seems like you'd have to have a propellant burn curve that's highly unsuited to the lighter round.)
That would probably be true in a situation where you're burning the same amou8nt of propellant to the same degree.

This should not be the case with gold v. lead with black powder. With the gold you should be (and apparently are) burning more powder completely inside the barrel as opposed to shooting unburned (or partially burned) powder out the muzzle.

Gunpowder is cheap and usable by idiots (mostly) but don't assume it's efficient (especially at low-ish TLs).
Old 06-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That would probably be true in a situation where you're burning the same amou8nt of propellant to the same degree..
No, in that situation it would be impossible, rather than unexpected but explicitly not impossible.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #43
AlexanderHowl

Larger amounts of powder tends to result in barrels bursting, as most of them only have so much tolerance beyond their normal capacity.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullets, gold