Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Sunrunners_Fire

Default [Build Advice] Innate Attack: Toxic

I call upon the experience and knowledge of the hivemind! (hehe)

Okay, so ... I'm writing up an alien species template for a science-fiction campaign; specifically I'm trying to model a complex poison and its' giving me fits! (I mostly blame this on my brain being stubborn about working properly.) I'm going to do this step-by-step over multiple posts.

[Step 1]
Teeth (Sharp Teeth) [1] ... they have sharp teeth!
Immunity to Mnemi Toxins [1] ... they are immune to their own stuff!

... done!

[Step 2] Really popular at parties. "Would you please spit in my cup, good sir? Or maybe nibble on my fingers?"
Toxic Attack 1
Modifiers: Cumulative, +400%; Cyclic (1 Second) (2 Cycles), +100%; Follow-Up (Sharp Teeth), +0%; Side Effect (Ecstasy; Secondary), +70%; Side Effect (Euphoria), +80%; Accessibility (Terran Mammals), -...%; Blood Agent, -40%; Damage Limitation (No Wounding), -50%; Partial Dice (Per Level) (+4), +1

What I think this does: Bite! If DR isn't penetrated, nothing happens. If DR is penetrated, victim takes 4 phantom damage every second for two seconds (so the second it is bitten and the second afterwards) that only counts towards determining the penalty for resisting the side effect. 1st second, attempt to resist side effect at -2. 2nd second, attempt to resist side effect at -4. Bite again! Same deal, but 3rd second (bite 2's first second) the penalty is -6 and the 4th second (bite 2's second second) penalty is -8. If victim fails its' resistance, it is incapacitated while having a really good time.
  • Cumulative is taken from Affliction, and is intended to model that the toxin builds up with multiple bites and becomes harder and harder to resist. Is there a more appropriate modifier?
  • I'm not sure what Accessibility (Terran Mammals)'s value should be, though I know it should be at least -20% and probably higher. Your opinion on the limitation value?
  • Damage Limitation (No Wounding) isn't technically available for Toxic Attacks, but the poison doesn't hurt them ... and slapping Cosmic (Can purchase "Damage Limitation (No Wounding)") on it feels silly; though I can do so easily enough if it seems necessary.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build advice, fatigue attack, innate attack, no wounding, phantom damage, toxic attack