Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
PenitentDemon

Default Judgement the game, and a question or two

two questions I have, on judgement and the game.

First, is it improbable, that some superiors, might toss an extra reward, onto slaying an outcast, or renegade servitor of theirs, (archangels most likely I know) and are asmoesdoes/dominic more likely, to think its attempted bribery, or biasing their servitors or think its likely to help motivate others.

Second whats a superiors protection likely to amount to, if he feels his servitors being unfairly targetted, (or for a demon prince, more likely, if he feels hes suffering because of the game making a big issue out of nothing, and using up his servitors for their "quota" of arrests.)

direct attacks on either the game or judgement are a BAD idea.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Judgement the game, and a question or two

Well, if you have a specific scenario in mind, that could generate more specific answers... My best one, alas, is that "dealing with Judgment/the Game" (depending on side) is a standard sub-section of at least a paragraph or two, in all the Superior books and Superior PDFs. If you don't already have those, obtaining them at some point might be useful for your plans!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
PenitentDemon

Hmmmn Say a Renegade of Baal, who desserted because he felt he was being screwed over. And baal, was glad enough to have this embaressment cleaned up he wanted to offer a servitor attunement as a way of saying "go on getting those renegades"

(oh on Asmoesdoeses servitors roles? does it have to be one of the ones listed or one fitting that "theme" or can they have totally unrelated roles... just curious)
Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
(oh on Asmoesdoeses servitors roles? does it have to be one of the ones listed or one fitting that "theme" or can they have totally unrelated roles... just curious)
The typical NPC is going to have some relation to the stereotypes... but stereotypes aren't always accurate. That's as true in In Nomine as it is in other games, or in real life. If you want a Djinn of The Game to have a Role as a press agent, or an Impudite of The Game to have a Role as a help-desk operator, go for it!
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Hmmmn Say a Renegade of Baal, who desserted because he felt he was being screwed over. And baal, was glad enough to have this embaressment cleaned up he wanted to offer a servitor attunement as a way of saying "go on getting those renegades"
Ahhh. As I recall, in most cases, a Prince will tend to want to "clean house" himself (or herself) before having to say, "thank you for fixing that for me" to Asmodeus. It's a demonic pride thing. That said, one way to save face -- especially with a nominally "friendly" other Prince -- can be to reward the Servitor(s) in question as if they'd done it for you and not for their own boss. Kind of making them "in service to" yourself after the fact. Possibly even spinning it that you'd conscripted them from your "friend," if you're good enough at slinging the BS. (Short for Bal... Ahem.)

So if you wanted, you could totally justify Baal giving some Gamesters anything from a terse and grouchy nod, to a full-out ceremony with pinning on medals and handing out of powers. The latter would depend on how much Baal thought they'd wind up serving his Word as well as that of the Game, of course; he wouldn't want to give it to people who would use his own powers to weaken his Word.

Quote:
Asmodeans often gravitate to such Roles, it's easy for the paperwork for one to be whipped up, and there are probably demonlings working on establishing those vessels and Roles in the Symphony... But it's not mandatory by any means. Asmodeus knows the value of establishing a baseline so that one can deviate from it at unexpected moments.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Ahhh. As I recall, in most cases, a Prince will tend to want to "clean house" himself (or herself) before having to say, "thank you for fixing that for me" to Asmodeus. It's a demonic pride thing. That said, one way to save face -- especially with a nominally "friendly" other Prince -- can be to reward the Servitor(s) in question as if they'd done it for you and not for their own boss. Kind of making them "in service to" yourself after the fact. Possibly even spinning it that you'd conscripted them from your "friend," if you're good enough at slinging the BS. (Short for Bal... Ahem.)
Nasty. And of course, if you spin it well enough, Asmodeus may start to mistrust the Servitor in question ... who suddenly has no choice but to flee to the safety of his "new-found friend."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
JCD

Where exactly is 'safe' for a former Servitor of Asmodeous? Considering one of the things he looks for as quickly as possible is an executable offense so a) he can offer clemency b) they are inspired to work harder and c) he has something to hang them for later at need...

So of COURSE Asmodeous's Servitors can screw up, and even often. But run to another prince without permission? There is no statute of limitations in Hell.

Ahem Of course, if Asmodeous does NOT chase after him with a warrent of execution (signed years ago), it is probably a set up to put a spy into some other Princes organization. A few incompetent assassination (PCs?) attempts goes a long way to establishing credibility Just saying
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Where exactly is 'safe' for a former Servitor of Asmodeous? Considering one of the things he looks for as quickly as possible is an executable offense so a) he can offer clemency b) they are inspired to work harder and c) he has something to hang them for later at need...

So of COURSE Asmodeous's Servitors can screw up, and even often. But run to another prince without permission? There is no statute of limitations in Hell.
Of course, if you're going to try that, the commander of Hell's military forces is probably a good one to run to. Then again, he is a Balseraph ... was he really just setting you up all along?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
PenitentDemon

Oh on both groups, (it may list these in the superior books I dont know i admit)

Any ideas on songs, and such to use when trying to capture a celestial intact?

Since capturing celestials is probaly pretty tricky, since you have to avoid inflicting Vessel death. (unless his hearts not broken, then thats probaly how you'll want to do things)

(And The Redeemed in particular, will probaly, whip out a pistol, and blow their vessels brains out, if things look at all bad, in a confrontation they seriously suspect the game of, they have a heart after all so .dont have to go into limbo... and they KNOW what awaits them if they fall into asmoesdoeses clutches. most would probaly rather inflict CELESTIAL suicide, on themselves, I'd bet, then risk that... oh if their new superiors michael, does that count as a "unauthorized retreat for dissonance purposes)

Outcastes, im pretty sure some WILL "come along quietly" hoping for clemency... any renegade hoping for clemency is probaly going to take a proactive stance on seeking it.

song I've seen that looks most useful is the Corporeal song of Banishing, as that lets you force someone into celestial form.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Any ideas on songs, and such to use when trying to capture a celestial intact?

Since capturing celestials is probaly pretty tricky, since you have to avoid inflicting Vessel death. (unless his hearts not broken, then thats probaly how you'll want to do things)

(And The Redeemed in particular, will probaly, whip out a pistol, and blow their vessels brains out, if things look at all bad, in a confrontation they seriously suspect the game of, they have a heart after all so .dont have to go into limbo... and they KNOW what awaits them if they fall into asmoesdoeses clutches. most would probaly rather inflict CELESTIAL suicide, on themselves, I'd bet, then risk that... oh if their new superiors michael, does that count as a "unauthorized retreat for dissonance purposes)
I was under the impression that celestial suicide was impossible, at least for angels--which renders the whole 'suicide is a sin' question moot. Not sure where I got that, only that I've been running MHC under that assumption for three years now.

Capturing a celestial is a little trickier, if it's willing to die to avoid it. A ward works, but that's the exclusive purview of sorcerers (tee hee). If it's not willing to be torn to Forces, it's a simple matter of having enough guards.

Tags
asmodeus, dominic