Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #71
demonsbane

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja

I just dowloaded DF 12: Ninjas, but I’m afraid because in any moment this PDF can be hiding from my Windows 7 Search Engine in my HD, just waiting for the right moment to kill or sabotage another files…

Cool thread: all these explanations by Kromm, Peter and others seem like a valuable Designer’s Notes article.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #72
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Finally catching up and addressing stuff Kromm and RPK didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Are DF Ninja cool? Why yes, yes they are. The only problem I see is that now everybody in my game group is going to insist on playing one.
My work here is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
ETA: as pointed out, the Assassin isn't a ninja. It's a template for a sneak-around-and-kill-people character which doesn't use specifically ninja equipment and traits.
Pretty much, that's the whole point of the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The ninja is set up so that he could be honorable; the assassin is meant to be a unequivocally "evil," like the evil cleric and unholy warrior.
Here I have to differ with my line editor. Much of the inspiration for the assassin's build came from evil assassin types, to be sure - but you don't have to build one or play it that way. I kept the clearly-PCs assassins of the Malazan books (Kalam Mekhar, for example) in mind just as much as I did the classic half-orc assassins of my gaming youth. Heh. By default, though, expect the assassin to be nasty work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
Aw. No stylized 'ethnic cool' kunai in the ninja gear, huh?

Although I suppose the kind ninja are usually portrayed with are just funny-shaped knives rather than the weird little spade tool things they really were.
That's pretty much why, although I could have stuck it in. It's more of an oversight - missing a chance for another weapon glossary entry and a cool name - than a deliberate omission. They are just knives, though - but excellent candidates for the Ninja modifier and enhanced magical versions with abilities that depend on your Ninja Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I just bought this and read it non-stop to the end. Very nice mini-supplement. I almost burst into laughter with delight at Shokosu Gi. Peter-sensei, saikō desu! (^^)
arigatou, ga-pusu fan-san. demo hontou ni, shokosu gi no namae ha kuramu-sensei ha kangaeta yo.

Originally I called it the "Suit of Ko Sugi Sho" but Kromm's idea was much funnier.

...and I didn't quote and reply directly, but thanks to everyone who took the time to compliment the book. I'm glad you liked it.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #73
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
arigatou, ga-pusu fan-san. demo hontou ni, shokosu gi no namae ha kuramu-sensei ha kangaeta yo.

Originally I called it the "Suit of Ko Sugi Sho" but Kromm's idea was much funnier.
Could you please explain the joke, for us round eyed gaijin? ;)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #74
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Could you please explain the joke, for us round eyed gaijin? ;)
Sho Kosugi. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467563/

Shokosu gi (gi meaning clothes, in korean I think it's either bok, meaning outfit, or phonetically wii, meaning cloth) is just moving the space from beween Sho and Kosugi to between Shokosu and gi.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #75
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Sho Kosugi. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467563/

Shokosu gi (gi meaning clothes, in korean I think it's either bok, meaning outfit, or phonetically wii, meaning cloth) is just moving the space from beween Sho and Kosugi to between Shokosu and gi.
Oh, LOL

I knew what a gi is. Now, this particular actor isn't widely known in Spain... but hell, now I get it, and yeah, it's funny ;)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #76
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Oh, LOL
I'm glad you like it. Kromm explained it up-thread, too. But the suit is based on my memories of his chain-hooded ninja suit from The Master TV series. Yes, I watched every episode of it and I've seen the MST3K versions too. But I couldn't figure out how to fit "Lee Van Cleef" or "John Peter McAllister" into the ninja gear, so don't bother looking. :D

You can find some images of the Shokosu gi here: http://www.shokosugitheninja.com/main.htm - just put your cursor over the pictures until you hit the one that says "Master."

:)

PS - I'm a round-eyed gaijin too. I just spent a couple years secretly training as a ninja in Japan. Gurps Fan-san's Japanese is much better. Maybe he's a nihonjin. Maybe even a ninja.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #77
Gurps Fan

Quote:

Wow. I believe our Line Editor is a kami!

Quote:
Gurps Fan-san's Japanese is much better. Maybe he's a nihonjin. Maybe even a ninja.
I'm a slant-eyed nihonjin but far from a ninja . . . I'm just a pale, wimpy otaku. Try googling "Kotomi Ichinose" (cited in my signature) and you'll find lots of otaku-ish stuff out there. Well, sorry for derailing the thread.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #78
Harald387

Relevant to this, I'm trying to work up an appropriate DF1-style Wildcard skill for Ninja. Right now I'm looking at the following:

Ninja! (DX/WC)

Fast-Draw (Any), Jumping, Climbing, and Stealth. Make a Will-based roll for Meditation, and an IQ-based roll for Disguise, Holdout, Poisons, or Shadowing.

I'd considered including the weapon skills (similar to the Knight! and Swashbuckler! skills) and including fewer of the tertiary skills, but wasn't sure. Any thoughts?
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 AM   #79
mlangsdorf

It looks weak compared to Thief! and Martial Artist! Thief! covers just about everything a thief does except stab people. Ninja! needs more skills.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #80
Bruno

Compared to a Thief, a Ninja's primary role definitely includes "stab things" - adding Kama, Thrown Weapon (Shuriken), and Knife skills seems like a very safe baseline of weapons. I'd be careful about adding too many weapon skills as that's sort of bleeding into either Monk or Swashbuckler, but that's a good place to start.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, kromm explanation