Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #541
Darkwind1823

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

I'm a huge fan of Alastair Reynolds, and Cyberpunk in general. So here are a couple of advantages taken from Reynolds' 'Revelation Space' series.

Cybernetic Uplink [21]
Telecommunication: Radio (Video +40%; Reduced Range(10) -30%) [11]
Mind Reading (Cybernetic Only -50%; Sense-Based: Telecommunication(Radio) -20%; Origin(Cybernetic) -10%; Increased Range(x2) +10%) [9]
Feature: Wireless Datajack [1]

This advantage allows the enhanced to speak via radio to any computer or similarly equipped individual up to a distance of one mile, and to actively interface with any wireless capable computer within 4yrds.

Neuroprocessor Synaptic Overlay [7]
Enhanced Time Sense (Costs Fatigue: 2FP +1/minute -10%; Temporary Disadvantage: Mute -20%; Takes Recharge(1 hour) -30%) [27]
Electrical [-20]

The overlay is in reality a layer of superconducting wires surrounding the synaptic pathways of the brain, and connecting to a subprocessor unit. When activated, all electrical signals are instead routed through the wiring, thus greatly speeding ones perception of the world. Unfortunately, due to the increased processing of the brain, coherent communication is nearly impossible, thus the speech mechanisms of the brain are temporarily disabled. This does not prevent one from communication however, if one is also equipped with a Cybernetic Uplink.
Darkwind1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #542
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwind1823
Origin(Cybernetic) -10%
What's this?

Quote:
Feature: Wireless Datajack [1]
Nitpick: a Feature is free. This is a Perk. :)

Quote:
This does not prevent one from communication however, if one is also equipped with a Cybernetic Uplink.
Wouldn't that be a Mitigator on Mute?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #543
Darkwind1823

Mute prevents verbal communication. They uplink allows much faster transfer of data as well as video. In effect, this combination would allow cybernetic pilots to communicate and coordinate attacks much faster than non-enhanced targets.

Yeah, Wireless Datajack would be a perk. It would give a negative to people apprehensive or repulsed by cybernetics. It really all depends on the game. I had figured it as a supernatural feature.
Darkwind1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #544
Captain-Captain

Reliable Flip Coin.

Destiny (Minor) (Gadget/Breakable: DR 3-5; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Easily snatched with unopposed DX roll); Usable Twice a day [1]

The coin is fated to produce the correct answer to any either/or question where the answer once learned will not have any significan effect on the course of events.

Essentially this is a series of petty destinies adding up to the equivalent of a minor one.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #545
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Reliable Flip Coin.

Destiny (Minor) (Gadget/Breakable: DR 3-5; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Easily snatched with unopposed DX roll); Usable Twice a day [1]

The coin is fated to produce the correct answer to any either/or question where the answer once learned will not have any significan effect on the course of events.

Essentially this is a series of petty destinies adding up to the equivalent of a minor one.
Good grief, I remember this conversation. Rather drawn out, wasn't it?

Last edited by Atreyu_Hibiki; 08-17-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 AM   #546
Harald B

Seeds of Doubt [50]
Affliction (Negated Disadvantage: Fanaticism, +150%; Malediction, +150%; Extended Duration x300, +100%)

While it will not make the victim abandon his cause immediately, this ability will instill doubts and cause him to reflect on his loyalty and no longer hold it to be self-evident, making him lose the Fanaticism disad in game terms. The effect lasts for 5 hours per point of success(/victory? not sure) rather than a minute per point of success. Though technically beneficial, this should be treated as a harmful affliction since no Fanatic will willingly undergo it. Extreme Fanaticism should grant its +3 bonus to resist this affliction.
This is useful for talking reason and getting through to a fanatic, but even more useful if Fanaticism is being used as a Pact limitation on the enemy's powers. And while the title reveals an evil undertone, good guys could use it under the title of Temporary Redemption or somesuch.
In a setting with prolific Moral powers it might be used by both sides, or perhaps only by the neutrals.
Variants that remove Vows or Disciplines of Faith can be equally appropriate, and a limited Modular Abilities that lets you choose between any variant of Seeds of Doubt will be expensive but very useful indeed.
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #547
SandmanBr

Looking good today!!! [25]
Appearance (Transcendent) (Gadget/Breakable: DR
2 or less; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Can only be taken
by stealth or trickery; Gadget/Unique) [7]
Charisma 10 (Gadget/Breakable: DR 2 or less;
Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Can only be taken by stealth
or trickery; Gadget/Unique) [18]

It is a luck jacket, when you dressing it you look irresistible and very charismatic… like a magic effect.
SandmanBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #548
Blackseasofinfinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanBr
Looking good today!!! [25]
Appearance (Transcendent) (Gadget/Breakable: DR
2 or less; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Can only be taken
by stealth or trickery; Gadget/Unique) [7]
Charisma 10 (Gadget/Breakable: DR 2 or less;
Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Can only be taken by stealth
or trickery; Gadget/Unique) [18]

It is a luck jacket, when you dressing it you look irresistible and very charismatic… like a magic effect.
From Buffy? very cool ;)
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #549
Atreyu_Hibiki

Originally Submitted by Darkwind1823:
Cybernetic Uplink (+10%/-60%):
Telecommunication: Radio (Video, +40%; Reduced Range 10, -30%) [11]
Mind Reading (Cybernetic Only, -50%; Sense-Based: Telecommunication(Radio), -20%; Increased Range x2, +10%) [12]
Perk: Wireless Datajack [1]
Notes: This advantage allows the enhanced to speak via radio to any computer or similarly equipped individual up to a distance of one mile, and to actively interface with any wireless capable computer within 4yrds. 24 points.

Neuroprocessor Synaptic Overlay (-45%):
Enhanced Time Sense (Costs 1 FP, -5%; Temporary Disadvantage: Mute, -20%; Takes Recharge, 15 seconds, -20%) [25]
Electrical [-20]
Notes: The overlay is in reality a layer of superconducting wires surrounding the synaptic pathways of the brain, and connecting to a subprocessor unit. When activated, all electrical signals are instead routed through the wiring, thus greatly speeding ones perception of the world. Unfortunately, due to the increased processing of the brain, coherent communication is nearly impossible, thus the speech mechanisms of the brain are temporarily disabled. This does not prevent one from communication however, if one is also equipped with a Cybernetic Uplink. It also makes the character very vulnerable to any attack that affects Electronics. 5 points.
Modifying: For any character who already has the Electrical disadvantage, this is a 25-point ability. You could also change Electrical into a Temporary Disadvantage, which would make you only vulnerable to electric attacks while the ETS is turned on. This changes the cost to 12 points.

I've modified these to fit into the appropriate ranges. They work out pretty easily, actually... On Cybernetic Uplink, I just removed the Power Modifier for Cybernetic, and on Neuroprocessor Synaptic Overlay, I calculated the target percentage off value we'd need to make the ETS cost 25 points (-45%) and worked my way there. At first I tried dropping the FP cost altogether, but that didn't work, as it removed the need for the recharge time. So I put one of 'em back. I was left with the need to remove 10% still, though, so I took out one level of Takes Recharge. I was really surprised that that little -10% takes the jump from 1 hour recharge to 15 seconds recharge! Wow. Anyway, so here's your abilities back, what do you think?

As a side note, your original Synaptic Overlay actually cost [-2] points, as the ETS had cost 18 points and not 27. I can see the (easy to make) slip-up you did -- the modifiers added to -60%, so you multiplied it by 0.6. However, 0.6 is actually -40%. You needed to multiply the 45 (original point cost) by 0.4, which yields a total of 18 points. Subtract from that the -20 of Electrical, and you end up with a -2 ability!

And you may consider the fact that I went through all this trouble as a sign that I really do like your abilities, and desired to include them in the book. I look forward to seeing more of your submissions in the future.

:D
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #550
SandmanBr

Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken (The Hundred Crack Fist of the North Star) [49]

Crushing Attack 1 (Cosmic: Irresistible attack; Link (Powers must be used together); Very Rapid Fire; Rapid Fire (RoF 71-150); Partial Dice (Does only 1
pt); Reduced Range (×1/10); Delay: Fixed (5 seconds)) [13]

Piercing Attack 1 (Reduced Range (×1/10); Very Rapid Fire; Rapid Fire (RoF 71-150); Cosmic: Irresistible attack; Delay: Fixed (5 seconds); Partial Dice (Does only 1 pt); Link (Powers must be used together)) [13]

Affliction (Incapacitation) 1 (Malediction (Recieves - 1/yard range); Reduced Range (×1/10); Link (Powers must be used together); Daze) [23]

100 hits that does 1 pont of crushing e 1 point of piercing damage each... the target receive the damage 5 seconds after your atack.

Last edited by SandmanBr; 08-17-2006 at 08:22 PM.
SandmanBr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers