Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/107: Monster Hunters III

I'm not afraid of
Things that go bump in the night;
I "bump" back stronger
— William Conrad, Warrior/Avenger
Monsters come in all shapes and sizes, and so do the dedicated hunters who defend us from them. That's why the GURPS Monster Hunters series -- along with the two previous dedicated issues of Pyramid -- includes a wide variety of both. Hunters range from believable 200-point investigators to cinematic 400-point champions, and you can deal with anything from enraged alligators to desperate dream projections.

But there's always room for more options, and Pyramid #3/107: Monster Hunters III brings you even more variety for your campaign:
  • GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions powered up wildcard skills, effectively turning them into low-key super abilities. Now Christopher Rice takes things a step further, proving that hunters are Born to be Wild with over 20 new wildcard skills and new rules (compatible with GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills) that make them even more potent and versatile.

• Fighting flesh-and-blood monsters is relatively straightforward, but dealing with things you can't touch or see can be An Irregular Sort of Terror. J. Edward Tremlett adds three new types of ghosts to those presented in GURPS Monster Hunters 3: The Enemy, along with a frightening 17 new spiritual abilities inspired by everything from modern fiction to ancient stories.

• Inexplicable swirls of light spark debates about UFOs. An old newspaper clipping bemoans how a gifted composer went insane after losing his love. A woman devours an entire store aisle of junk food before eating a fellow shopper. After showing up miles away from where he just was, a hiker claims to know exactly what the future holds for him. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver explains how The Dwyrm is at the center of all of this.

• Stories of champions defeating horrors are really about empowerment -- inspiring us to overcome the demons we face in our own life -- which is why a major sub-genre is aimed at kids and young adults. Liam Duncan offers new lenses, traits, and rules for Young Hunters, including guidelines for using GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School to run a school-focused campaign.

• And we defeated the cultists to rescue this month's Random Thought Table, which proves that "more is less" when it comes to keeping things mysterious and challenging.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2707
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2707_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Pyramid #3/107: Monster Hunters III

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
GURPS Monster Hunters 1: Champions powered up wildcard skills, effectively turning them into low-key super abilities. Now Christopher Rice takes things a step further, proving that hunters are Born to be Wild with over 20 new wildcard skills and new rules (compatible with GURPS Power-Ups 7: Wildcard Skills) that make them even more potent and versatile.
I wrote some designer's notes for this here.

Quote:
Fighting flesh-and-blood monsters is relatively straightforward, but dealing with things you can't touch or see can be An Irregular Sort of Terror. J. Edward Tremlett adds three new types of ghosts to those presented in GURPS Monster Hunters 3: The Enemy, along with a frightening 17 new spiritual abilities inspired by everything from modern fiction to ancient stories.
This was pretty neat, but I had a hand helping the author so I'd already seen it. Still. Very useful. A self-haunted object may appear in an upcoming session of one of the Ceteri games . . . ;-)

Quote:
Inexplicable swirls of light spark debates about UFOs. An old newspaper clipping bemoans how a gifted composer went insane after losing his love. A woman devours an entire store aisle of junk food before eating a fellow shopper. After showing up miles away from where he just was, a hiker claims to know exactly what the future holds for him. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver explains how The Dwyrm is at the center of all of this.
This was kind of...disturbing. Yeah. Disturbing. O.o

Quote:
Stories of champions defeating horrors are really about empowerment -- inspiring us to overcome the demons we face in our own life -- which is why a major sub-genre is aimed at kids and young adults. Liam Duncan offers new lenses, traits, and rules for Young Hunters, including guidelines for using GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School to run a school-focused campaign.
I had a hand in getting Liam to submit this - so I'm pretty happy seeing it in print. :-)

If you ever wanted to use MH to run a game with the hunters still in high school, this is your go-to resource.

Quote:
And we defeated the cultists to rescue this month's Random Thought Table, which proves that "more is less" when it comes to keeping things mysterious and challenging.[/LIST]
I learned this the hard way, but after reading this there is something nibbling at my brainpan and I can't quite express it. There is something more that needs to be said or a way to expand this in a more game-mechanical way using the Deduction rules - I'm just not sure how yet.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Quote:
  • Stories of champions defeating horrors are really about empowerment -- inspiring us to overcome the demons we face in our own life -- which is why a major sub-genre is aimed at kids and young adults. Liam Duncan offers new lenses, traits, and rules for Young Hunters, including guidelines for using GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School to run a school-focused campaign.
If you ever wanted to use MH to run a game with the hunters still in high school, this is your go-to resource.
I've had the bare bones of a couple of such campaign ideas for a while now. This is a must-have! :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
J. Edward Tremlett

Incidentally, if anyone wants an example of a "hostile" fetch in a non-traditional setting, the Space:1999 episode "The Troubled Spirit" is darn near perfect.

(It also has one of the creepiest/psychedelic/1970swhattheheck openings ever.)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
scc

Quote:
Possibly the biggest missing piece here are rules for what would technically be trivial stuff that could have big impact: Too many nights out late and/or bad report cards might result in a ground from your character parents grounding the character, meaning you have to either sneak out or miss out, things like that.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
I've had the bare bones of a couple of such campaign ideas for a while now. This is a must-have! :)
Yup. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Possibly the biggest missing piece here are rules for what would technically be trivial stuff that could have big impact: Too many nights out late and/or bad report cards might result in a ground from your character parents grounding the character, meaning you have to either sneak out or miss out, things like that.
That's fair. The author would have to give you a reason why he didn't include it. When I was poking at it for Liam I honestly didn't think of it. Is a good idea though - something for a designer's notes perhaps.

Become a Patron!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 AM   #7
RaRaRasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Thank you so much! As a first-time Pyramid author, this means a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
There's a lot of stuff I wanted to expand on, but ended up cutting for brevity. Contrasting lists of mundane and supernatural plot hooks were one thing that didn't make it. The throwaway line at the end of the introduction, about getting so distracted by a demonic metaphor for a standardized test that you forget to study for the real one, is a relic from that process.

As it is, my treatment assumes that your parents take a hands-off approach unless you take one of the presented social advantages or disadvantages (Meddling Parents is the big one). However, there's definitely some room between "Not sufficiently overbearing to be worth a disadvantage" and "outright negligent".

If this becomes a regular thing for me, I'll need to start a gaming blog so I can post designers' notes like Ghostdancer does. (Kudos again to him for convincing me to submit this article and acting as a beta reader - I couldn't have done this alone).
RaRaRasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRasputin View Post
If this becomes a regular thing for me, I'll need to start a gaming blog so I can post designers' notes like Ghostdancer does.
Blog with us.... We all blog down here.

You'll blog too, Liam. YOU'LL BLOG TOO! YOU'LL BLOG TOO! YOU'LL BLOG TOO! YOU'LL BLOG TOO! YOU'LL BLOG TOO! YOU'LL BLOG TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRasputin View Post
(Kudos again to him for convincing me to submit this article and acting as a beta reader - I couldn't have done this alone).
I saw something with potential and just did my part in making sure you realized its potential as well. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
There is something more that needs to be said or a way to expand this in a more game-mechanical way using the Deduction rules - I'm just not sure how yet.
If it ever percolates up to the top of your brain pan, I'm definitely interested in seeing what you have to add!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
If it ever percolates up to the top of your brain pan, I'm definitely interested in seeing what you have to add!
I did an expansion recently for my Ceteri game setting bible. I think I'm going to go reread the original rules, those, and then Steven's article and see what comes out. Of course, you'll likely be one of the first to know when I'm done. :-)

Become a Patron!

Tags
monster hunters, pyramid, pyramid 3/107