Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Dwarves of the Shielded-Lands

As Gaia did with my elves Earthos did with my Dwarves at the same time. But where Elves embrace the flow of life and the magical weave it creates Dwarves prefer the Solid reassuring of order. They have no problem with change, but only change for purpose. They are long lived mortals like the Rocks they called home, but unlike the Elves even stone gives to Time.

While they have no problems with light being Earthos the prefer to be close to the stone they love, so the Dwarves called Racdeartháir who live in The Shield Mountain care little for the surface of them leave the control of surfase to the Gnomes.

But leaving so closely with the mountains sacred to Elmara did complete spare the Racdeartháir from Farlorn's warping, resulting in the Racmáistir who did complete;y shun the surface world and delved deeper into the earth Warring with both the Racdeartháir and Hînienvala claiming they alone should have mastery of the true world of Rock.

While the Racdeartháir favor Ethos as their patron God with the Cult of Ethos are the main source of Magic in their Relm; The Racmáistir follow a Fallen member of Ethos's Celestial who a objected the amount of Free will given to Mortals.

Racdeartháir (Dwarf) [40]

Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10].
Secondary Charactristics Modifiers: SM -1; Will+1 [5].
Advantages: Dark Vision [25]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Rock Brother 1 [10]
Features: May have additional levels of Rock Brother talent.
Disadvantages: Hidebound (Except for Stone and Metal related Art and Engineering) [-2]; Intolerance (Racmáistir) [-5]; Stubbornness [-5].

Rock Brother† Talent [10/level]
Innate understanding of the properties of Earth.
Skills: Architecture, Armory (Body Armor), Artist(Sculpting), Climbing (Rock), Connoisseur (Stone and Metal items), Engineer(Mining), Geology, Jeweler, Masonry, Metallurgy, Prospecting, Smith)

Modhcloch [4]

Skills: Axe/Mace, Two Handed Axe/Mace, Savoir-Faire (Dojo).
Techniques: Feint (Axe/Mace); Feint (Two-Handed Axe/Mace);Hook (Axe/Mace); Hook (Two-Handed Axe/Mace); Retain Weapon (Axe/Mace); Retain Weapon (Two Handed Axe/Mace); Sweep (Two-Handed Axe/Mace); Targeted Attack (Axe/Mace Swing/Leg).
Cinematic Skills: Breaking Blow; Immovable Stance; Kiai; Power Blow.
Cinematic Techniques: Timed Defense (Axe/Mace)
Perks: Grip Mastery (Axe/Mace); Grip Mastery (Two Handed Axe/Mace); Sure-Footed (Uneven); Teamwork (Modhcloch).

Optional Traits
Advantages: Combat Reflexes; Fit.
Skills: Polearm; Shield; Tactics; Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace).

I still need to flesh them out and give them a style

Racmáistir (Deep Dwarf) [22]

Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10].
Advantages: Dark Vision(Color) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Rock Brother 1 [10]
Disadvantages: Hidebound [-5]; Intolerance (Racdeartháir) [-5]; Light Sentitvity 5 [-5] Stubbornness [-5]; Xenophobia [-15].

Last edited by roguebfl; 03-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Dwarves of the Shielded-Lands

I like these dwarves, they have a classic feel without being stereotypes.

I'd like more on the martial art: A description of the common tactics, history, etc.. Could give it a lot of flavour.

Right now Feint seems to be included just for munchkins, it doesn't seem to fit with the solid, direct, earthy nature of your Dwarves. But that's just an impression formed without knowledge of the fighting philosophy of modhcloch.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I like these dwarves, they have a classic feel without being stereotypes.

I'd like more on the martial art: A description of the common tactics, history, etc.. Could give it a lot of flavour.

Right now Feint seems to be included just for munchkins, it doesn't seem to fit with the solid, direct, earthy nature of your Dwarves. But that's just an impression formed without knowledge of the fighting philosophy of modhcloch.
Modhcloch's primary weapons a the the Pick, and the Maul, that evolved from Mining weapons (it also teaches other various hammers and ad pick like weapons). Modhcloch's philosophies are very much based on Racdeartháir's mind set of order, so Grip Master's to switch between a defensive grip for their U weapons and between more tradition grips to hook out larger foes legs an delivered powerful kill shots when the opening presents itself

Teamwork represents the fact the dwarves don't just wildly swing their weapons, but time their swings with the blowers of the fellows, much like they do in the mines to work closely with each other.

Feint is meant to be representative this discipline and patience to work on their foe and create openings where it's best to take advatages of the Power of their weapons.

Savoir-Faire (Dojo) is also an extension other their culture of order hence why is a required skill not an optional skill.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Modhcloch's primary weapons a the the Pick, and the Maul, that evolved from Mining weapons (it also teaches other various hammers and ad pick like weapons). Modhcloch's philosophies are very much based on Racdeartháir's mind set of order, so Grip Master's to switch between a defensive grip for their U weapons and between more tradition grips to hook out larger foes legs an delivered powerful kill shots when the opening presents itself

Teamwork represents the fact the dwarves don't just wildly swing their weapons, but time their swings with the blowers of the fellows, much like they do in the mines to work closely with each other.

Feint is meant to be representative this discipline and patience to work on their foe and create openings where it's best to take advatages of the Power of their weapons.

Savoir-Faire (Dojo) is also an extension other their culture of order hence why is a required skill not an optional skill.
Excellent. Flavor text really matters, and in this case it helps turn the style from a collection of traits into a cohesive and sensible facet of their culture.

Really nice work overall.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Excellent. Flavor text really matters, and in this case it helps turn the style from a collection of traits into a cohesive and sensible facet of their culture.

Really nice work overall.
One price of flavor text forgot got to mentioned Racdeartháir's art tended to but more emphasis on form and texture than color so that art can still be appreciated when relighting on their color blind dark vision in the absents of light (which they need to see color).

the Dwarven versions of the Cult of Earthos plays on his Creation and Leadership aspects and down plays the Sky aspects, though his Prients are not oppsed to calling upon him for light.

the Racmáistir still need more work, their Template isn't finished but i'm not sure what to add. and they need a style of their own. Racmáistir have a very twisted version of Racdeartháir's sense of order.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
aesir23

Quote:
the Racmáistir still need more work, their Template isn't finished but i'm not sure what to add. and they need a style of their own. Racmáistir have a very twisted version of Racdeartháir's sense of order.
twisted how?

If they live in a very regimented, status-conscious society, they might have Selfish.

perhaps they fight with some sort of polearm, originally a pick or hammer, but more twisted and weaponized than the Racdearthair's weapons.

Crossbows would be another option.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; HT +1 [10].
Advantages: Dark Vision(Color) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Resistant to Poison (+3) [5]; Rock Brother 1 [10]
Disadvantages: Fanaticism (Clan) [-15] ;Hidebound [-5]; Intolerance (Racdeartháir) [-5]; Light Sentitvity 5 [-5] Stubbornness [-5]; Xenophobia [-15].

Ardcheannascloch [5]

Skills:Crossbow, Polearm, Savoir-Faire (Dojo), Shield.
Techniques: Disarming (Polearm); Feint (Polearm); Hook (Polearm); Retain Weapon (Polearm); Sweep (Polearm); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Leg). Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Vitals).
Cinematic Techniques: Timed Defense (Polearm)
Perks: Grip Mastery (Polehammer or Dualing Polehammer); Shield-Wall Training; Sure-Footed (Uneven); Teamwork (Ardcheannascloch).

Optional Traits
Skills: Axe/Mace; Tactics.

The Front line uses large shield/dueling pollhammer or crossbow with the second and third rank using the longer pollhammers.

So Jason, what changes would you make to the style to fit urban combat ?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
jason taylor

Quote:

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10]; HT +1 [10].
Advantages: Dark Vision(Color) [30]; Extended Lifespan 1 [2]; Resistant to Poison (+3) [5]; Rock Brother 1 [10]
Disadvantages: Fanaticism (Clan) [-15] ;Hidebound [-5]; Intolerance (Racdeartháir) [-5]; Light Sentitvity 5 [-5] Stubbornness [-5]; Xenophobia [-15].

Ardcheannascloch [5]

Skills:Crossbow, Polearm, Savoir-Faire (Dojo), Shield.
Techniques: Disarming (Polearm); Feint (Polearm); Hook (Polearm); Retain Weapon (Polearm); Sweep (Polearm); Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Leg). Targeted Attack (Polearm Swing/Vitals); Targeted Attack (Polearm Thrust/Vitals).
Cinematic Techniques: Timed Defense (Polearm)
Perks: Grip Mastery (Polehammer or Dualing Polehammer); Shield-Wall Training; Sure-Footed (Uneven); Teamwork (Ardcheannascloch).

Optional Traits
Skills: Axe/Mace; Tactics.

The Front line uses large shield/dueling pollhammer or crossbow with the second and third rank using the longer pollhammers.

So Jason, what changes would you make to the style to fit urban combat ?
I meant urban warfare as an analogue to fighting in dwarf caves, because there is no other analogue I could think of to dwarfish cave fighting(sapping, as done by humans, usually doesn't involve such large and complex caves as are traditionally described; it is enough to get under fortifications or prevent same).

In an underground fight of this kind, shield-walls would not be at a premium unless passages were very wide. Hearing would(to sense a sap made by the enemy around the passage you are in), digging(to get around a blocked passage or whatever). Traps certainly would as would be an important skill.
Three-d sense might be important in such a situation. Climbing would. Actually it might be good to ask if anyone here is a spelunker or knows one?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I meant urban warfare as an analogue to fighting in dwarf caves, because there is no other analogue I could think of to dwarfish cave fighting(sapping, as done by humans, usually doesn't involve such large and complex caves as are traditionally described; it is enough to get under fortifications or prevent same).

In an underground fight of this kind, shield-walls would not be at a premium unless passages were very wide. Hearing would(to sense a sap made by the enemy around the passage you are in), digging(to get around a blocked passage or whatever). Traps certainly would as would be an important skill.
Three-d sense might be important in such a situation. Climbing would. Actually it might be good to ask if anyone here is a spelunker or knows one?
I agree with you that it would be more like that than pitched battles but when this conertion is finished it will be my first time running a style based campaign. So I'm also askin if the style works for that environment.

Though you will not the Rock Brother racial talent the both Dwarves have includes the Climbing Skill when used for Rock based climbing, be it mountain cliffs or spelunking.

though my settings Trap makers are Gnomes and Kolbolds... trying to cross the shield mountains anywhere other an approved pass is extremely hazardous ;)

Though the level of noise mining though the rock will result in means it not a prime attack vector as it will normally result more guard waiting for you at the entrest of your new tunnel than you can fit though the tunnel gap.

I see the shield wall as more as a portal barricaded in existing tunnels and to retain some defense when you push out into caverns.

Magic and Monster that can tunnel faster than mining an tunnel could change it a bit
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
jason taylor

Quote:
I agree with you that it would be more like that than pitched battles but when this conertion is finished it will be my first time running a style based campaign. So I'm also askin if the style works for that environment.

Though you will not the Rock Brother racial talent the both Dwarves have includes the Climbing Skill when used for Rock based climbing, be it mountain cliffs or spelunking.

though my settings Trap makers are Gnomes and Kolbolds... trying to cross the shield mountains anywhere other an approved pass is extremely hazardous ;)

Though the level of noise mining though the rock will result in means it not a prime attack vector as it will normally result more guard waiting for you at the entrest of your new tunnel than you can fit though the tunnel gap.

I see the shield wall as more as a portal barricaded in existing tunnels and to retain some defense when you push out into caverns.

Magic and Monster that can tunnel faster than mining an tunnel could change it a bit
I have no idea what would work for the environment. Like I said, underground warfare has no real analogue. Magic tunneling would help, though.

Tags
dwarf, dwarves, fantasy, racial template, racial templates, shielded-lands