Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
PIELIKEI

Default Link Spell Clarification

Hey so I'm running through a pirates type game and I was looking at the concept of healing during a battle.

Because we are on a ship, we have a lot of downtime and area spells (such as link) that we cast mostly move with the ship as per this Kromm post: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=12.

To heal during battle, I was thinking of linking healing (major/minor/great) to different links around the ship (sort of like health packs).

The link trigger I have would be something like
"If any of our crew members who are critically wounded enter this one yard radius, trigger the healing spell on them."

First, the Link spell triggers "is governed like the Delay (above)". Delay triggers state that "The triggering event must be something that could reasonably be determined by a normal person at the Delay site". Is that context specific? (Magic 131 for Link, 130 for delay)
For most days at sea and during most skirmishes, any reasonable person can say: If you are on the ship, you are part of the crew (We won't have any passengers so everyone on the ship is crew). However, during the event of a boarding, most likely the normal person would not be able to tell the difference. In that scenario, would the spell just fizzle out as it can't tell the difference anymore? Would the spell just heal our crew? Or would the spell heal any critically injured person running about at the time? If it does heal anyone running around and I have all the crew in front of me at the time of casting, would I still be suffering from the -5 for not being able to see the subjects, even if I didn't intend for it to heal people who are not on the ship at the time of the casting?
Likewise if I changed the trigger to something like "Heal any critically wounded person who has a special token", do they have to hold it out in plain view? Or would the token being in their pocket be enough?

Second: Major/Minor Healing has consecutive penalties for multiple casting of the spell per day on a single subject but can be cast on the same person multiple times and Great Healing can only be cast on one subject per day, however Link states that "The caster pays the energy costs and makes the skill rolls for the Link spell and all linked spells at the time of the casting"
Does that mean only one linked Great Healing can go off per person? If a crew member was injured and walked into a Great Healing link and then got injured again and walked into another one, would the spell go off? Would it just not have any effect? Same question goes for Major/Minor healing. If I have detect magic attached to the link as well, would the spell be able to detect it to prevent the spell from being wasted?

Finally: I would like to stack linked areas on top of one another, that way the crew would be able to go to those places rather than guess at which areas have already spent their link, would attaching a simple detect magic allow me to change the link to
"If any of our crew members who are critically wounded enter this one yard radius and there are only X link spells left on this location, trigger the healing spell on them."
So 3 linked spells on the same 1 yard radius:
the first one will trigger only when there are 3 link spells left on the location
the second one will trigger only when there are 2 link spells left on the location
and the final one will trigger when it is the only link spell left on the location.
PIELIKEI is offline   Reply With Quote