Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Cidri Genesis

Has anyone here developed any campaign history for the Mnoren and Cidri? Specifically, does Cidri have any special purpose?

One idea I like would explain why the Mnoren created Cidri... it's a prison. At some point in their long history of dimension-hopping, a renegade or perhaps overly curious Mnoren traveled somewhere that they shouldn't have and inadvertently punched a hole into a dimension of pure chaos and evil. The entities (i.e. demons) inhabiting this plane sought to escape and invade the home reality of the Mnoren so in response to the threat of destruction as well as the guilt of having caused the issue in the first place, the Mnoren pooled their resources to create a massive artificial planet that is actually a powerful dimensional containment device surrounding the breach.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Cidri Genesis

My theory is that Cidri must actually be many worlds that are linked by gates, because different GMs have quite different worlds with different year lengths and different astrology and other major cosmological differences. They're probably not even all in the same plane of existence given different GMs invent differences in magic and religions and demons and other things GMs invent and customize.

Also, it would be vastly easier and more practical and plausible to me to have many worlds than to make some super-giant planet that somehow got built and yet has earthlike gravity and so on.

As such, I think certain worlds no doubt do have specific purposes and relation to the Mnoren. Some may be some of the original worlds that were reached and exploited by them. There might still be some which are full of Mnoren, and the TFT campaigns just tend to take place on the ones that the Mnoren currently aren't apparently present on (much?) for some reason.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Chris Rice

I always thought of Cidri as a "Zoo" where the Mnoren brought creatures and items from all across the Multiverse for their study and amusement. That's why anything from any time or place might be found there.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I always thought of Cidri as a "Zoo" where the Mnoren brought creatures and items from all across the Multiverse for their study and amusement. That's why anything from any time or place might be found there.
Yes, I think that is the default assumption that most of us made when first introduced to the world of Cidri. I was just curious if anyone had come up with a more creative or expanded version of Mnoren history.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Terquem

Like a gallimaufry, or The Gallimaufry, from Buck Godot Zap Gun for Hire
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Also, it would be vastly easier and more practical and plausible to me to have many worlds than to make some super-giant planet that somehow got built and yet has earthlike gravity and so on.
Hollow Earth. Solves your gravity problem and gives you an even bigger playing surface...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Hollow Earth. Solves your gravity problem and gives you an even bigger playing surface...
Remember that gravity is zero inside a hollow sphere as you think of all those dead dwarves floating around inside there.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:19 AM   #8
JLV

"Magic," dude.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #9
hcobb

250,000 mi^2 land plus equal water gives 12615 miles radius (Earth is 3,959 mi)

Total mass to get to 1 G is 10.15 Earth masses over 32.3 Earth volumes which is mostly ice or water. Fixing density to the same as Earth gives 2/3rs hollow. That's around 2000 miles thick.

10,000 mile radius swinging around in 24 hours gives 1% of a G at the inner equator. I suggest using some magic here.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
Terquem

I've always used a different approach

"Cidri" is more than one world, only the inhabitants don't know that yet (maybe a few upper tier scholars or wizards known, but most regular folk do not).

Moving from one world to another through a gate is indistinguishable from teleporting across any distance so those that move around using gates, think they are on a very large world.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote