Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
ColBosch

Default Re: two rules questions about entrenchments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Yeah, sometimes a scenario idea is too smart for its own good. Based on something Cat said here on the board, I started on an M6 brown water navy idea that rapidly sank under its own weight. (side note, I've got it direct from Winchel Chung that his GEV design was influenced by a design in Popular Mechanics for a PACV Vietnam war brown water navy hovercraft. Is that common knowledge?)
In fact, I did know that! It's why I based my Heavy GEVs (from Drew's "Barbarians at the Gate") on Vietnam-era river monitors.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
In fact, I did know that! It's why I based my Heavy GEVs (from Drew's "Barbarians at the Gate") on Vietnam-era river monitors.
And I learned about it *from* your river monitor-inspired HGEVs....
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
Izzy_B

I did a map test this evening with non-nulear as per The Rise and Fall of Pittsburgh proves to be interesting on M3 with the occupying infantry having a few LADs. It took some serious firepower and clever use of GEV-PCs to wear them down.

Unfortunately the map test proved that the secret sauce element of this scenario idea that makes it more than a slug fest diid not work out to be interesting at all. Need to think about how to complicated this a bit more.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:54 AM   #24
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Q1: Can town hexes be entrenched? Rule15.03.05 states "Entrenchments in any terrain other than clear, forest, or rubble offer no benefit." so it looks like the answer is no. If yes, then which defense multiplier is valid, the town or entrenchment? (rule says "this replaces the benefit for the forest or rubble").

Q2: Does entrenchment affect just a hex side or does it affect the whole hex?
Since this was resurrected.. in 15.03.05 The statement "offer no benefit" does not prohibit having entrenchments. All it means is it doesn't help if you do. As to the reason why you want to (ie, so they exist if the town is rubbled), is likely an invalid premise that they would still exist after the town is rubbled. Rubbling a town is pretty likely to fill in any existing entrenchment.

As for question 2, it's whole hex coverage. While thematically, the protection could be directional, the rules do not state they are; so the default whole hex coverage applies.

As an aside, the same is true for Revetments; the Rules do not call out any directionality to Revetments (the Ogre Miniatures Rules, however, DO specifically call out a direction of coverage for revetments; but even OM makes no directionality for entrenchments).