Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
Izzy_B

Default two rules questions about entrenchments

Q1: Can town hexes be entrenched? Rule15.03.05 states "Entrenchments in any terrain other than clear, forest, or rubble offer no benefit." so it looks like the answer is no. If yes, then which defense multiplier is valid, the town or entrenchment? (rule says "this replaces the benefit for the forest or rubble").

Q2: Does entrenchment affect just a hex side or does it affect the whole hex?
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: two rules questions about entrenchments

Q1: You quoted the very rule that answers your question: no, entrenchments in a town hex (or anything other than clear, forest, or rubble) have no effect.

Q2: The whole hex. Every rule in the section references the hex. Hexsides aren't even mentioned in passing.

The rules are crystal-clear to my eyes. What prompted these questions?
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
The rules are crystal-clear to my eyes. What prompted these questions?
Why ask? Because its not obvious despite the wording. Obviously a water hex can not be entrenched. Swamp seems rather unlikely but not impossible physically. Urban spaces definitely physically possible and plenty of historical examples. So not obvious.

What prompted the questions? A scenario idea that basically depends on being able to entrench within town hexes. Now I have to re-think the whole thing.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
What prompted the questions? A scenario idea that basically depends on being able to entrench within town hexes. Now I have to re-think the whole thing.
Don't be afraid to write a rule specific to your scenario that takes precedent over the general rule. See, e.g., Iron Mountain.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Don't be afraid to write a rule specific to your scenario that takes precedent over the general rule. See, e.g., Iron Mountain.
Did just that with hills & mountains terrain as well as off map artillery in Defend the Negev!, before I do it again I just want to be sure one way or the other that I'm doing so.

Speaking of Iron Mountain, the light howitzer unit from that scenario might be well suited over an LAD for the thing I'm working on. I'll have to test it both ways.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Did just that with hills & mountains terrain as well as off map artillery in Defend the Negev!, before I do it again I just want to be sure one way or the other that I'm doing so.

Speaking of Iron Mountain, the light howitzer unit from that scenario might be well suited over an LAD for the thing I'm working on. I'll have to test it both ways.
For "digging in" to a town, it's worth considering Revetments. They protect infantry [not to the same extreme...a flat +1, multiply-then-add], give the scenario attacker options [as they can be targeted like a unit] in lieu of shooting what's inside].

Granted, Infantry + Town + Revetment is just plain rude, granting 3-squad stacks a whopping D10 (and the Revetment itself D4)...best roll in some self-propelled guns or a column of superheavies, you're not flushing them out with the revetment intact any other way.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
offsides

Quote:
Q1: Can town hexes be entrenched? Rule15.03.05 states "Entrenchments in any terrain other than clear, forest, or rubble offer no benefit." so it looks like the answer is no. If yes, then which defense multiplier is valid, the town or entrenchment? (rule says "this replaces the benefit for the forest or rubble").
In general, I've learned that the rules are written to be as concise and use the smallest context as possible. So, for example, while the rules don't explicitly state that you cannot dig entrenchments in other terrain, the fact that they offer no benefit implies that they aren't legal in other terrain either. That said, I can see one corner case that your question leads to that's not covered by the rules as stated: Since town hexes can be reduced to rubble, can entrenchments be built in town hexes (for no added defense benefit) such that they will provide benefit if the hex is reduced to rubble? (Same goes for any other terrain that can be reduced to rubble.)

Based on the rules as written I'm inclined to say yes, since it doesn't explicitly state where entrenchments are allowed to be built, just where they provide a defense bonus. But that's probably counter to the intent of the rules (though it does logically make sense that you could do it). Still, this is one of those things that probably deserves at least a FAQ at some point, if not a rules clarification.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:54 AM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:

Q2: Does entrenchment affect just a hex side or does it affect the whole hex?
Since this was resurrected.. in 15.03.05 The statement "offer no benefit" does not prohibit having entrenchments. All it means is it doesn't help if you do. As to the reason why you want to (ie, so they exist if the town is rubbled), is likely an invalid premise that they would still exist after the town is rubbled. Rubbling a town is pretty likely to fill in any existing entrenchment.

As for question 2, it's whole hex coverage. While thematically, the protection could be directional, the rules do not state they are; so the default whole hex coverage applies.

As an aside, the same is true for Revetments; the Rules do not call out any directionality to Revetments (the Ogre Miniatures Rules, however, DO specifically call out a direction of coverage for revetments; but even OM makes no directionality for entrenchments).