Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
Grayscale

Default Yet another Glorantha conversion attempt - Magic system

Hi guys,

I've been interested in Glorantha lately, reading some material, and I like the feel of the setting. I'm working on a sort of conversion of the system: I want to retain some of the "feel", mechanics need not be 1:1, neither they need be too "balanced" when it comes to points - I don't see the game going to a point level high enough where it could all start falling apart. But any way, here's the magic system I've come up so far (PDF at the bottom if you prefer that):

Types of Magic
There 4 main types of magic:
• Folk magic
• Rune magic
• Spirit magic
• Divine favor

The Power Attribute
Instead of IQ, all Magic is derived from a new attribute called Power (POW), that costs 10/points per level. Every magic skill defaults to POW, instead of any other attribute, and every magic resistance roll is made against POW.

Rune Marked
Every single creature in the world is “Rune Marked” (Power Investiture 0), meaning it can cast magic, at least in simple forms. Additional levels of Power Investiture work as the talent for magic in the setting – though they are “split” in 2 ways: Rune Magic (Rune Marked 1, 2, so on…) and Spirit Magic (Spirit Magic 1, 2, etc..). Regardless of which option you choose, the subsequent levels of the talent will add to their specific option and Folk Magic.

Folk Magic
Folk magic represents “everyday” magic and is available to all characters through the Rune Marked 0 (Power Investiture 0) advantage. Mechanically, it works just like the standard magic system, with the following difference: every spell must have a “token” or “charm” of its runes to be cast in its regular casting time – these need not be expensive nor magical in nature. Failure to comply results in the spell taking double it’s cast time to complete. The list of available spells is at the end of the chapter.

Rune Magic
Rune Magic is a form of Symbol Magic, as it is stated in THM168. It’s only available to Initiates of a Cult (this requires Rune Marked 1). The runes available are on the next page. Note that some runes oppose each other. Meaning that the more mastery you have in one, the less you have in the other. Rules wise, this works by subtracting your relative skill level with one Rune from the its opposite.

Example
Artolos has POW 12, giving him Stasis 7 and Motion 7. Through his devotion to a cult, he spends enough points to raise Stasis to 12 (POW + 0) – this does nothing to his motion skill, for now. Later, he decides to increase Stasis further, to 14. This is effectively POW + 2, so now his modified skill level with Motion is 5 (but still Motion per se is POW + 0). Had Artolos a change of heart, and decided to increase Motion to 7 again, he would find it counterproductive: Stasis would now be at 10.
The cults you join will determine what Runes you can study (and it’s possible to join more than one (?)) Cults often have particular secrets and workings to offer advanced members. These take the form of spells from the standard magic system.

Spirit Magic
Spirit magic takes the form of Path/Book Magic from Thaumatology. Each Way (Path) is comprised of selected rituals from the many paths and books available. Likewise, some Ways offer students advanced knowledge – these also take the form of standard magic spells.

Divine Favor
Still working, but I think I'll make it available only in the form of general prayers.

PDF link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zb0...jCwlWm1Lk/view

So, what do you think? Any particular traps?

Also, things I'm thinking about:
Should every Spirit Magic be considered as if being worked by an adept, and thus be able to be cast in seconds?
Could the advantages of being a Rune Lord be, well, represented through Advantages?

Last edited by Grayscale; 12-11-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Grammar
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
cptbutton

Default Re: Yet another Glorantha conversion attempt - Magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exallted View Post
The Power Attribute
Instead of IQ, all Magic is derived from a new attribute called Power (POW), that costs 10/points per level. Every magic skill defaults to POW, instead of any other attribute, and every magic resistance roll is made against POW.
[...]

So, what do you think? Any particular traps?
Does POW start at 10 by default like other attributes? Or is it bought up from zero?

Will in-game increases in POW be free if you successfully win a POW contest and then make an increase roll, as in RQ? Or is it just spending CP? Or some combination?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Does POW start at 10 by default like other attributes? Or is it bought up from zero?

Will in-game increases in POW be free if you successfully win a POW contest and then make an increase roll, as in RQ? Or is it just spending CP? Or some combination?
I'm putting it at starting at 10 like other attributes. It would be nice to have an increase roll for POW, because then we could introduce sacrificing POW for magic but I don't not sure this would advisable - because as far as I can see in GURPS every character is already sacrificing something (CPs) to acquire spells anyway.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
cptbutton

Quote:
I'm putting it at starting at 10 like other attributes. It would be nice to have an increase roll for POW, because then we could introduce sacrificing POW for magic but I don't not sure this would advisable - because as far as I can see in GURPS every character is already sacrificing something (CPs) to acquire spells anyway.
How will you handle the distinction between temporary (magic fuel) points and permanent POW points? Just making regular Fatigue Points the fuel needed? Or having some special extra FP that are in addition to or instead of regular FP for magic?

Will opposed POW resistance rolls be based on permanent POW or reduced (whatever) for magically depleted characters?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
How will you handle the distinction between temporary (magic fuel) points and permanent POW points? Just making regular Fatigue Points the fuel needed? Or having some special extra FP that are in addition to or instead of regular FP for magic?

Will opposed POW resistance rolls be based on permanent POW or reduced (whatever) for magically depleted characters?
Yes, POW will work as FP ("Current" POW) to fuel magic (it's indeed as Thaumatology says on p.50). Character may not increase these "POW points" above their POW attribute value.

The second part is trickier, I believe. . I don't think GURPS is balanced around that idea and I couldn't find anything so far on Thaumatology that speaks of that - I mean, I'm not sure what should change, price wise, for it behaving this way. It would indeed keep in character with the original source (mainly RQ2 in this case) but I'm not sure if it would make players too unwilling to cast magic.

Of course if this was in effect, as soon as you have "Power investiture 1" (any of the two) your resistance rolls would be made against your POW attribute value, not your "POW points"
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
Refplace

Quote:

The second part is trickier, I believe. . I don't think GURPS is balanced around that idea and I couldn't find anything so far on Thaumatology that speaks of that - I mean, I'm not sure what should change, price wise, for it behaving this way. It would indeed keep in character with the original source (mainly RQ2 in this case) but I'm not sure if it would make players too unwilling to cast magic.
Sacrifice of POW could be done as trading the points for an advantage or a one use ability at 1/5th cost. Those options would be balanced with spending CP.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Sacrifice of POW could be done as trading the points for an advantage or a one use ability at 1/5th cost. Those options would be balanced with spending CP.
Could you give me an example or two?

I think this solves the "math" part of it, but not the fluff , as in the original serting your actual reward is the spell itself.

Also, if POW points were to recover at a much slower rate, does that change costs in any way, for anything?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Could you give me an example or two?

I think this solves the "math" part of it, but not the fluff , as in the original serting your actual reward is the spell itself.

Also, if POW points were to recover at a much slower rate, does that change costs in any way, for anything?
OK, here are some pointers to draw upon.
Impulse Buys from Monster Hunters or in more detail GURPS Power Ups 5: Impulse Buys.
Character Point Powered Abilities from GURPS Power Ups 8 Limitations (mostly drawn from Impulse Buys).
Another reference is buy a Power at 1/5 cost (applied after modifiers, so its more than a simple limitation).
Also since you use the standard magic system for a lot of this each point sacrificed could generate 25 FP (Thaumatology, p. 109)
Trading points in POW for a supernatural advantage would be simple enough.

The other reference I cant find at the moment but you can buy 1 use or charecter point powered abilities at 1/5 cost.

An example.
Mage learns a spell to toss fire.
Innate Attack 10d [5] 50 points/5 for the spell and it costs a character point to use it. Should be a variable amount of points I think but I cant find the reference in my books.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 12-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #9
Grayscale

Will check those.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
Grayscale

Forum user Antiquation directed me to this link from T-Bones blog: http://www.gamesdiner.com/earn-it-to...kills-by-tests

This neatly integrates one the staples of the RQ system, eg: the learn by doing approach, which I had no idea how to emulate. It is now possible to characters to first increase POW, then sacrifice said POW in a ritual, allowing for magic skills to be acquired.

Another potential problem this solves is the fact that (as it was pointed out to me in the Discord channel) resisting Magic will probably be very hard for anyone not wanting to invest in it in the first place - which I think would pretty rare in the setting to begin with, but now at least that person can still be competent on it, through use alone.

@Refplace, I took a look at some of the sources you pointed to and found them very interesting! Though I'm not sure they align much with the character of the source material (I'm no expert though).