Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #31
alexondria

Default Re: What is the main psychological difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Not sure I am following, but I am slow today.

So Thug insults Maven in an attempt to make him angry. This...does not work since it is an externality?

But if Maven CHOOSES to be angry, that inflicts his psyche like water through a sand castle because it is internal?

Just playing with the ideas a bit.
Some people have anger issues. Little slights make them very angry. They have trouble letting go of anger once they feel it. Those that don't like it employ various behaviors to mitigate it and hopefully with time overcome it. In In Nomine a human with that problem would do just that, but a celestial no matter how much they worked would need a superior to remove the discord. That kind of anger though is different from seeing someone do something you don't like and having a proportional response.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #32
Whitelaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
This seems more 'rules gaming' than discussing the internal differences. I don't care what the differences are because of a DICE roll.
The rules exist to simulate what is going on internally.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #33
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I had one game where most of the players spent several minutes trying to figure out a way to monitor a mortal they'd learned may be in danger. The PCs snuck into her workplace, pretending to work in the office themselves, and argued from a distance about how to do this stealthily. Then one new player sent her PC right up to the mortal and said, "Hey, I'm new here! Just getting to know people around the office." She got invited out to go out with a group after work.

At the time, I thought this was just a function of my group being hilariously socially inept and too deeply ingrained with D&D-seeded murderhobo habits compared to the RPG newbie. (And, well, it probably is.) In retrospect, though, I think it paints a wonderful picture of celestials on the job who've just never worked in an office before. :)
I'm watching this thread now because one of the schticks sorcerers have in my game is that they can sometimes identify Celestials by their behaviors, rather than waiting for them to cause a Disturbance.

Offhand I'd say that wetwings are highly inept socially. Young angels and many Seraphim tend to blurt out whatever truth crosses their minds, so they'd be relatively easy to spot. Calabim never have nice things. Lusties always act horny but never smell that way, unless they're in one top-of-the-line vessel and know how to use it. And if you want to know whether your new buddy is a Malakite, bring him to a gambling city and see whether he relaxes or tenses up.

In general I'd say celestials have stronger, more specific drives than humans. They're highly specialized, versus humans who are well-rounded.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #34
Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
In general I'd say celestials have stronger, more specific drives than humans. They're highly specialized, versus humans who are well-rounded.
This is one of the things I have trouble with in char gen. I'll look at the character and say things like, "well obviously they'd have a point or two of Driving, or they'd have a very hard time getting around."

But that's because I'm a human and I'm thinking like a human. I approach things with a generalist's point of view - and not the point of view of an inhuman entity created for a single purpose (even if it ultimately finds itself being put to others).
Old 02-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #35
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
This is one of the things I have trouble with in char gen. I'll look at the character and say things like, "well obviously they'd have a point or two of Driving, or they'd have a very hard time getting around."

But that's because I'm a human and I'm thinking like a human. I approach things with a generalist's point of view - and not the point of view of an inhuman entity created for a single purpose (even if it ultimately finds itself being put to others).
When I created a Destiny angel, I deliberately created him without Driving -- one of his Rites was to walk through a city for hours, observing humanity, on top of which walking gave him a better chance of crossing paths with someone who needed his help. So yeah, very purpose-driven.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #36
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
When I created a Destiny angel, I deliberately created him without Driving -- one of his Rites was to walk through a city for hours, observing humanity, on top of which walking gave him a better chance of crossing paths with someone who needed his help. So yeah, very purpose-driven.
I don't think I've ever created a Celestial character who had Driving as a starting skill, for various reasons.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #37
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I don't think I've ever created a Celestial character who had Driving as a starting skill, for various reasons.
Where I wouldn't dream of a modern Windy without it.
--edit-- But then I'm from L.A., where the public transit system is in its infancy (to put it kindly). Maybe one in Japan, Korea, or Europe would do okay. though even so he'd miss the wind in his hair.

Now my brain is spinning on a quiet, introverted Japanese Windy who likes standing on the beach contemplating the last hundred years...

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 02-23-2016 at 10:33 AM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #38
PenitentDemon

Mortals can choose between good and evil, not as a way of life, but as a moment to moment choice.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
theories, tips