Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Cid SilverWing

Default Unfazeable and Leadership

I'm in a dilemma here.

Are Fright Checks that much of a problem that players should buy Unfazeable [15] to dodge FC's as well as Rapier Wit?

Also, how useful is Leadership if you can't make your party members excel better at combat while you're standing there shouting appropriate encouragement to them with Leadership?
Cid SilverWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Unfazeable and Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid SilverWing View Post
I'm in a dilemma here.

Are Fright Checks that much of a problem that players should buy Unfazeable [15] to dodge FC's as well as Rapier Wit?
Fright Checks are the main reason to buy Unfazeable. As to how much of a problem they are, that rather depends on the campaign. Some games will feature 3-10 Fright Checks per session, others may not have one pop up during the entire campaign.

Quote:
Also, how useful is Leadership if you can't make your party members excel better at combat while you're standing there shouting appropriate encouragement to them with Leadership?
I don't understand the question -- that's the sort of thing that Leadership does allow you to do. Are you proposing a variant of the skill that doesn't allow that?

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Cid SilverWing

I've been given the impression - Many times over, I must add - that Leadership is practically useless except for giving party members a poultry +1 to FC's on success VS natural fears (not Supernatural). Situationally it gives a variable bonus to Reactions.

The few GM's I got to speak with, I poked them about using it to raise Striking ST/DX in battle so that my party members can hit more and harder (think of the WoW Warrior's "Battle Shout" which gives Attack Power and thus more damage), and they all told me no.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Extrarius

My understanding of Leadership is that it is the combat-neutral version (Tactics being the combat skill {esp w/ the rules in Martial Arts}, and Administration the non-combat skill). Long Tasks (B346) gives some uses for Leadership, as does Hiking (B351) and Convoys (B466).
Reading over the skill description, I can see they don't make it very clear what the skill does outside of combat, but the sections that reference the skill explain that aspect.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
I've been given the impression - Many times over, I must add - that Leadership is practically useless except for giving party members a poultry +1 to FC's on success VS natural fears (not Supernatural). Situationally it gives a variable bonus to Reactions.

The few GM's I got to speak with, I poked them about using it to raise Striking ST/DX in battle so that my party members can hit more and harder (think of the WoW Warrior's "Battle Shout" which gives Attack Power and thus more damage), and they all told me no.
Leadership isn't magic. Like any other interaction skill, it's most useful when dealing with NPCs.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Cid SilverWing

Battle Shout isn't magic either.

Has no one here ever observed war leaders shout inspiration to their troops?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Battle Shout isn't magic either.

Has no one here ever observed war leaders shout inspiration to their troops?
Sure. And I've observed that it doesn't make them even a little bit stronger or faster. "Shouting inspiration to the troops" only makes it less likely they'll break.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Cid SilverWing

I'm talking psychological effects here. Motivation to push yourself past your limits.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Yeah. Doesn't happen. "Exceeding your limits" is a very fatiguing thing, in the game and in life. The key in battles is to pace yourself, not push yourself beyond your limits, and above all, not to break and run.

But there's no particular reason why you couldn't base a beneficial affliction on a Leadership roll.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 11-14-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Cid SilverWing

The idea is, as I've said, to give bonuses to hit and damage via Leadership as follows:

A party of 5, one's the Paladin leader, a samurai, a mage, a priest and a ninja. The enemy proves innumerable and serious about slaughter, so this has the party at reduced combat efficiency solely for being intimidated by the odds. Paladin rolls Leadership and goes, "To battle with courage! Victor favors the valorous!" This encourages the party members and so negates their initial intimidation, they receive +X to Striking ST and DX (they hit more often and damage harder)

Tags
influence rolls, kromm explanation