Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #31
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Powers with Gadget Limitations - is it the thing?

Where is the Unbreakable modifier located? And does it apply specifically to gadgets?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #32
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Where is the Unbreakable modifier located? And does it apply specifically to gadgets?
Unbreakable is not a modifier. It's automatic if you apply gadget limitations and don't include Breakable.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #33
AlexanderHowl

That is what I had thought. The default gadget cannot be damage, destroyed, or is not normally targeted for theft (it is neither obviously powerful or important/valuable enough to be stolen). For example, an indestructible penny would qualify (a $10 million gem should probably have Can Be Stolen though, as it is obviously valuable enough to be stolen).
Old 08-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #34
RyanW

Quote:
That is what I had thought. The default gadget cannot be damage, destroyed, or is not normally targeted for theft (it is neither obviously powerful or important/valuable enough to be stolen). For example, an indestructible penny would qualify (a $10 million gem should probably have Can Be Stolen though, as it is obviously valuable enough to be stolen).
I'd still want to give an indestructible penny some price cut, just because it could be lost, or stolen by someone who knows it's significance (or is just taking everything).

Maybe halve the limitation value of Can Be Stolen if the object isn't clearly valuable. Quarter it if the only practical way of knowing it is important is to be told (not even reading it's aura or scanning it with a superscience detector reveals it's a gadget).

Edit for clarity: At that point "Can be stolen" essentially becomes something like "Can be in glove box when car is stolen."

Last edited by RyanW; 08-11-2020 at 04:07 PM.
RyanW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #35
Plane

Quote:
I'm not sure you can even do a default gadget, don't you need to take at least one (steal or break) for it to be a gadget? Something which can't be broke or stole is basically just part of you.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #36
AlexanderHowl

No, I believe that you can define any ability as a separable object rather than an innate part of you. The fact that you can lend your powers is balanced by the fact that it counts as weight and can be disarmed (as opposed to damaged or stolen).
Old 08-12-2020, 08:37 AM   #37
Donny Brook

Quote:
No, I believe that you can define any ability as a separable object rather than an innate part of you. The fact that you can lend your powers is balanced by the fact that it counts as weight and can be disarmed (as opposed to damaged or stolen).
I don't think any weight is assigned automatically to powers built as gadgets, but I have seen it as an additional limitation (Nuisance) . I don't think you can be disarmed of an intact gadget except by the Can Be Stolen rules.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #38
AlexanderHowl

You may be correct. Perhaps Can Be Stolen (-30%) would be appropriate for objects that can be disarmed?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #39
Donny Brook

I'd think so. An artful fencing disarm would be subsumed under contests of DX and a forceful bashing disarm would be under contests of ST.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #40
Plane

Quote:
I'm figuring that voluntary lending of your gadget is like "consenting to steal", they probably should call it "can be transferred" though
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote