Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Most "out there" character

What's the most unconventional character you've ever used in play (or at least made with the intent to use in play)? No "sentient blueberry muffins" or others created purely as a thought experiment.

For me, it was Orzon of the Blue Cloak. He was a Verb-Noun mage with only one non-magic skill (Staff), largely because he figured there was no point in learning other skills when he could just cast a spell. He rarely cast spells. He fought primarily with the staff rather than magic, primarily because he often forgot he knew spells. He had Clueless, Confused, Indecisive, Oblivious, and Odious Personal Habit (No Concept of Personal Space). Yes, he was a challenge (but a fun one) to play.

And his equipment list included "Cloak (not blue)" and "Big stupid looking straw hat" because it made perfect sense for him to wear a stupid looking hat, and to call himself "Orzon of the Blue Cloak" despite not owning a blue cloak.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Most "out there" character

Well, the most fun was Fireball. He's a living fireball spell. He is a charming, friendly, if excitable, blaster-type. He could do damage by a flame jet or by "giving the enemy hugs." He also didn't sleep, so he'd get cozy in the camp fire and stand watch all night (he healed from fire damage). He could cook, as well.

Many antics came about from the fact that he didn't have hands, and couldn't interact with the world without burning something.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #3
David Johansen

There was a Sailor Moon game where I played the hyper younger sister and had Increased Time Rate 2 as a power. I claimed it came from drinking Monster Energy drinks but the GM insisted (wrongly) that it came from Ceres. My main move was to run behind the bad guy and pants them.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

I once played an axe wielding homicidal gigantic teddy bear that would hunt down and kill those who horribly abused children. He was actually the embodied spirit of a social worker who was killed when he caught a man abusing his own children. His catch phrase was "Heeereee's Teddy!".
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #5
DangerousThing

My favorite character came to me in a dream. He was a martial artist with enhanced speed, very good with a staff. One of his main characteristics was that he was 15 years old, and had been 15 for many, many years. The campaign was a world-hopping one, based initially on Feng Shui (the game). That campaign was strange.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:23 AM   #6
coronatiger

I once played a rock. Or rather a spirit bound to a rock. My former character had been a champion of Adrestia, goddess of revenge, who had carved Adrestia's holy symbol on a rock she reverently carried around. When she died, it made perfect sense to have an avenging spirit enter the scene to retaliate. The spirit initially believed it was my former character brought back to the world of the living, but discovered eventually that it was a separate entity.

Bound to the rock, the spirit couldn't affect the world more than a few meters from it, so the common tactic included another party member bringing the rock to melee distance, usually carried in a pouch, but occasionally by way of Throwing skill.

I had this character to the end of the campaign and the GM asked what our characters wanted to do. While the others went off to see the world and find new adventures, the rock asked to be left at a temple of Adrestia. And there it would slumber on the altar until someone worthy would come and pray for revenge...

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue

Last edited by coronatiger; 08-12-2020 at 01:29 AM.
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Latro

A quadrapalegic goblin with telekinesis in a generic fantasy world.

A man with a psychic parasite in his brain that manifested as a one inch tall demon that climbed in and out of his ear with a tiny ladder. Only the character could see it. Modern hidden fantasy.
Latro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
Frost

Not actually mine but arguably the most out there character I have seen was 'Unit 6' an allegedly non-sapient freefall maintenance robot that appeared to be possessed by its former owner.

Think a beaten up chrome toaster with arms, a lazy, perverted, occasionally violent chrome toaster with arms.

Last edited by Frost; 08-12-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Gold & Appel Inc

Probably the Tanuki Henge-Yokai I played in CousinX's The Fortress of Xie'e Wu Xing. Invisible con man and prankster in a party of combat monsters. Yes, that Crushing Striker is what you think it is...
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
shadowjack

I once ran a giant banana slug in a dungeoning game. One of the other PCs used me as a mount. I wasn't very swift, but I was easy to feed, hard to injure, and could mollusc my way through barred doors like nobody's business.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote