Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
geppo_68

Default Recover energy spell + fit/ unfit

Dear all,
I have some doubts how to calculate the addition of recover energy + the advantage fit/unfit.

Normally in 30 minutes I recover 3 FP (resting) + 3 ER (energy reserve, no need to rest).

If i have the advantage fit, I recoved 6FP (resting) + 3ER.

If I have the recovery spell 15+, I recover 6FP (resting) + 6 ER.

What if I have both fit AND recovery spell?

Or both unfit AND recovery spell?

Thanks!
Giuseppe
geppo_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Recover energy spell + fit/ unfit

There was an intentional rules change between GURPS and the DFRPG which is in general alignment with the streamlining of rules for the DFRPG and makes me believe that the FP recovery rates from Fit and Very Unfit are meant to stack with Recover Energy. In GURPS the rules specifies that neither Fit nor Very Fit applies to FP spent on powers or magic; in DFRPG that wording only applies to the halved FP lost from Very Fit, implying that the doubled FP recovery rate in Fit applies to all FP lost. A similar wording change happened with regards to Unfit and Very Unfit.

This means that given the wording in the DFRPG, it seems that the "double/halved FP recovery rate" stacks with the Recover Energy spell, which means that:
Recover Energy 15+ & Very Unfit recovers 1 FP per 10 minutes
Recover Energy 15+ recovers 1 FP per 5 minutes
Recover Energy 15+ & Fit allows you to recover 1 FP per 2.5 minutes
Recover Energy 20+ & Very Unfit recovers 1 FP per 4 minutes
Recover Energy 20+ recovers 1 FP per 2 minutes
Recover Energy 20+ & Fit allows you to recover 1 FP per minute

Note that Fit and Very Unfit have *NO* effect on the recovery rate of Energy Reserve, so you recover 1 ER per 10 minutes, with Recover Energy 15+ it's 1 ER per 5 minutes, and with Recover Energy 20+ it's 1 ER per 2 minutes.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-19-2020 at 06:48 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:05 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

This is explained clearly under Recovering from Fatigue (Exploits, pp. 64-65):
Ordinarily, you regain 1 FP per 10 minutes of rest. Make that 1 FP per five minutes if you're Fit or Very Fit, or per 20 minutes if you're Very Unfit.

Spellcasters who know the Recover Energy spell recover 1 FP per five minutes of rest at skill 15-19, or 1 FP per two minutes at skill 20+. Martial artists with the Breath Control skill can roll against it once per two minutes of rest to recover 1 FP. These two abilities replace ordinary recovery, cannot be used together, and don’t benefit from Fit or Very Fit.
See in particular the part I've underlined.

Also important is Recovering Energy (Spells, p. 10):
You recover lost Fatigue Points by resting; see Recovering from Fatigue (Exploits, pp. 64-65). The Recover Energy spell (p. 38) can accelerate this.

Your Energy Reserve regenerates at one point per 10 minutes, resting or not. Recover Energy can accelerate this, too, but only if it and the Energy Reserve belong to the same realm; e.g., wizardly Recover Energy for Energy Reserve (Magical).
Note in particular how this is a parallel process to FP recovery and doesn't interact at all with fitness level or Breath Control.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
geppo_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
This is explained clearly under Recovering from Fatigue (Exploits, pp. 64-65):
Ordinarily, you regain 1 FP per 10 minutes of rest. Make that 1 FP per five minutes if you're Fit or Very Fit, or per 20 minutes if you're Very Unfit.

Spellcasters who know the Recover Energy spell recover 1 FP per five minutes of rest at skill 15-19, or 1 FP per two minutes at skill 20+. Martial artists with the Breath Control skill can roll against it once per two minutes of rest to recover 1 FP. These two abilities replace ordinary recovery, cannot be used together, and don’t benefit from Fit or Very Fit.
See in particular the part I've underlined.

Also important is Recovering Energy (Spells, p. 10):
You recover lost Fatigue Points by resting; see Recovering from Fatigue (Exploits, pp. 64-65). The Recover Energy spell (p. 38) can accelerate this.

Your Energy Reserve regenerates at one point per 10 minutes, resting or not. Recover Energy can accelerate this, too, but only if it and the Energy Reserve belong to the same realm; e.g., wizardly Recover Energy for Energy Reserve (Magical).
Note in particular how this is a parallel process to FP recovery and doesn't interact at all with fitness level or Breath Control.
Right, thanks!!
What about the unfit/ very unfit disadvantage? How they interact with the recover energy spell?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geppo_68 View Post

What about the unfit/ very unfit disadvantage? How they interact with the recover energy spell?
There's no interaction. The fitness traits are either/or with Recover Energy. If you have Recover Energy, use its rate in circumstances where it would work.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
geppo_68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There's no interaction. The fitness traits are either/or with Recover Energy. If you have Recover Energy, use its rate in circumstances where it would work.
May you check my calculations?

Normally in 40 minutes I recover 4 FP (resting) + 4 ER (energy reserve, no need to rest).

a) If i have the advantage fit, I recoved 8FP (resting) + 4ER.

b) If I have the recovery spell 15+, I recover 8FP (resting) + 8 ER.

c) fit + recovery spell 15+...as case b

c) unfit + recovery spell 15+...as case b

d) unfit, I recoved 2FP (resting) + 4ER.

thanks
Old 08-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
corwyn

That's right. Seriously, Recover Energy may be the best 2 points a caster can spend - it increases recovery a ridiculous amount. Especially if your ER equals your Fatigue - 1.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:03 AM   #8
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
That's right. Seriously, Recover Energy may be the best 2 points a caster can spend - it increases recovery a ridiculous amount. Especially if your ER equals your Fatigue - 1.
It doesn’t need to: you can simply cast Lend Energy on yourself while walking around to transfer ER into FP whenever your ER is full.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
It doesn’t need to: you can simply cast Lend Energy on yourself while walking around to transfer ER into FP whenever your ER is full.
That's right, I'd forgotten about that. My current Wizard doesn't have much energy, but she recovers 2 every 2 minutes using Lend Energy.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I thought that as per Adventurers, p. 48, ER could only be used "on magic of one specific kind," and that "you can't use this energy for anything else." I suppose the concept here is that you are using for magic... Just kind of seems odd.

Another odd note that I didn't realize until today: non-spellcasters can buy up to three levels of ER "to help power scrolls, magic items, etc." That's pretty interesting. Might be worth the 9 points if you had a self-powered, powerful magic item...
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote