Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Reconsecration spell or ritual?

I am wondering how would be the best way for a cleric to reconsecrate holy items found in a dungeon? Maybe a spell? By using fatigue to invoke holy energy to change the holy items from one god to another seems ok. But also taking time to change the holy inscriptions to for the new deity also seems reasonable. The idea is that a clerical holy item contains Divine energies that were bestowed by the god that the previous owner worshipped but since the holy item is in a dungeon and lost the PC becomes the new owner and he/she might not worship the same god so he/she would need to reconsecrate the item to their deity.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Yssa

Default Re: Reconsecration spell or ritual?

This feels like it fits into the religious ritual skill, which takes time, not FP (Adventurers 86). While the skill doesn't mention objects or lost holy symbols, it says "Delvers with Clerical Investment (p. 22) can also roll to bless an altar or shrine; this takes an hour" and if you can consecrate an alter, I don't see why you couldn't do it to and item.

Depending on the situation, I might impose a penalty--it seems the more valuable/powerful an item is the harder it would be to alter it's alignment--or require exorcism first to remove it's previous affiliation. In certain situations I'd expect the penalty to be so high that a PC cleric would need to take the object to a temple to have high priests help.

I'm also not sure if you are talking about Holy Symbols (helpful for turning/exorcism) or Power Items (which can be holy and provide FP). According to my reading of the Power items description (Adventurers 115), I'd say that if you found someone else's abandoned power item, even if you did preform a ritual to attune it to your religion, you would still need to bring it to town to get it charged up with FP at the temple. Though the GM could certainly say that there's the dregs of 1 or 2 FP left in there that you can grab, and that wouldn't hurt anyone. (Unless, of course, using that FP invites some crisis of faith. . .)
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote