Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
lugaid

Default Limiting Wealth at Campaign Start

I'm considering starting a campaign with the PCs imprisoned for crimes they didn't commit. They'd be on a river barge being transported to a northern prison colony/work camp when river pirates attack and free all of the prisoners in the frozen northern wastes. The PCs would start with nearly nothing but the clothes on their backs and whatever they can scrounge that the river pirates haven't already taken, but they could potentially return to their 80% of starting wealth (and perhaps have to "convince" the people who've taken over to return it); that said, they don't have to—or don't have to on any particular time limit—and could just rebuild their lives from nothing. What sort of Limitation on Wealth would that be? -20% is the obvious and default answer, but should I have the players pay back the points as and when they regain control of their property? What other considerations, if any, should I take into account?

(For those with more curiosity, the campaign is intended to start out with this adventure area, converted to GURPS and my world setting of course, and the prison barge hook is one of those presented.)
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
Proteus

Default Re: Limiting Wealth at Campaign Start

Isn’t this just Wealth (Dead Broke or Poor) with the Potential Advantage of Wealth (NOT Dead Broke, etc.)?
Old 10-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Isn’t this just Wealth (Dead Broke or Poor) with the Potential Advantage of Wealth (NOT Dead Broke, etc.)?
Oh, good point! So, I could handle it all much easier by simply halving Wealth costs or bonuses (so, -13 for Dead Broke, 5 for Comfortable, etc.), or else making Dead Broke the default at 0 points and setting costs for levels above that by adding 25 points to the cost and halving that. Given that it affects Disadvantage totals, I'd probably go for simply halving costs.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
Stormcrow

If the campaign is going to be about escaped prisoners who have to make new lives for themselves, just make them Dead Broke and Status -2 and start. Their old lives have no effect on their current Wealth levels.

If the campaign will eventually see the characters return to their lives and old Wealth levels (think the difference between Gilligan's Island and Return to Gilligan's Island), set them at Dead Broke and Status -2 and use the rule for potential advantages, requiring a 50% down payment on the Wealth and Status. I'd allow half the Status bonus to reactions to affect those who might be impressed by such a thing (like Gilligan deferring to the Howels because of their wealth, but not, for instance, hardened criminals who scoff at you for trying to flex your lost Status).

If you don't know which of the two possibilities it will be, just take the first one, starting them at Dead Broke and Status -2 and requiring them to buy whatever ultimate Wealth and Status they want with (a lot of) bonus character points if they ever "get back to civilization."
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wealth