Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #21
Diomedes

Default Re: Pyramid #3/109: Thaumatology V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Would they not get any other spells then?
If not shouldn't they get a modified magery cost?
No they can still learn all of the regular wizard spells normally.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
PK

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant, select your spells from the Teramancy list first, getting all the ones that you want to start with, and then get any general spells that you need.

Also, you can sacrifice up to 4 points of advantages for 4 style perks.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #23
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
Author of Magnum Opus here. Just wanted to say a big "thank you" to Steve Marsh for all the cooperation and back and forth during the editing process. Hope y'all like it :)
Jinumon
I certainly did! This issue was great fun all around, and I must say I especially liked the new alchemy stuff in Magnum Opus. Nice work, there!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #24
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant, select your spells from the Teramancy list first, getting all the ones that you want to start with, and then get any general spells that you need.

Also, you can sacrifice up to 4 points of advantages for 4 style perks.
Ah! That makes a lot more sense.

Thanks, RPK
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #25
Evil Roy Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
"The Glorious Book of Valadir is filled with inspiring spells of salvation, strong enough to one day make this a perfect world . . . which, ironically, is exactly the problem, and the danger, in using it."
The article is, seriously, one of the best pieces I have ever seen in Pyramid. Conceptually strong, intriguing in its approach, systemless (and I usually gravitate toward the crunchy articles). My only regret is that my current low fantasy game would not really have anywhere to fit it in, but I will hang on to it for future use. Great work, JET.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #26
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
The article is, seriously, one of the best pieces I have ever seen in Pyramid. ... Great work, JET.
Thank you! Glad it was appreciated :)
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #27
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
I'll ask Steven to fix these when he has a chance.
I'm pushing out an update now; happy new year!
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #28
Evil Roy Slade

I have a question about the recipe costs in James Amaral's "Magnum Opus." i really enjoyed the article, but am a little baffled by the math -- perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but two of the sample elixir recipe costs look to me to be incorrect:

In GURPS Magic, the recipe cost for a Healing elixir is $50. In the article, Healing has a listed BRYW of +1/-1/+1/+2, which would make it $200, no? ($25+$25+$25+$125). Is Healing in the article perhaps meant to be Health, which does have a recipe cost of $200?

Likewise, an Elixir of Hearing is listed in Magic as $125 but the article has its BRYW as +1/-1/-1/+1. This is less of an issue as one could just add a specific reagent worth $25 to match it up, but I just want to make sure there is not something I am overlooking in understanding of the calculation of costs.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #29
Jinumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
In GURPS Magic, the recipe cost for a Healing elixir is $50. In the article, Healing has a listed BRYW of +1/-1/+1/+2, which would make it $200, no? ($25+$25+$25+$125). Is Healing in the article perhaps meant to be Health, which does have a recipe cost of $200?

Likewise, an Elixir of Hearing is listed in Magic as $125 but the article has its BRYW as +1/-1/-1/+1. This is less of an issue as one could just add a specific reagent worth $25 to match it up, but I just want to make sure there is not something I am overlooking in understanding of the calculation of costs.
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry for not seeing this earlier. I've been off of the forums for a while.

The Healing Elixer's BRYW is actually a typo caused by a miscommunication between me and the editor (sorry Steve). The proper BRYW should be +0/+1/+1/+0 as listed in the example text under Alchemy 101 given on pg. 4.

The Elixir of Hearing is a case of unavoidable but minimized difference. To get an exactly $125, the BRYW would need to have only one statistic at a +/- 2, which isn't allowed as it allows you to brew an elixir with only one measure of an Essential Prima Materia. I could have also listed it as something like +0/-1/+2/+0, resulting in a cost of $150. A specific reagent worth $25 could be used, I suppose, although those were generally intended to be used only for the more powerful (and expensive) elixirs so that the lesser ones could be improvised more readily.

Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #30
gudmo

Posted this in the DFRPG section... Better suited here I think

Only thing missing were Mage-Hunter Lenses for other classes like Knight, Swashbuckler or Barbarian.

That would be very nice if anyone has examples of such lenses. I especially see a Knight Mage-Hunter Lens being very useful.
gudmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid, pyramid 3/109, thaumatology