Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-27-2024, 02:18 PM   #1
Shako

Default Two disputes

A couple of friends and I need to settle a dispute.

The first dispute:
I am level 9 and I’m about to beat a monster. My friend uses his Elsa Ally which states “ you may discard your hand (minimum of three cards) to freeze, the monster(s). This ends combat and no one gets treasures or levels”, during my combat and discards three cards to freeze the monster ending the turn. The ally card doesn’t specify whether he can use it on any combat or only on his turn. Is he able to use this Ally when he is not the active player? And no he has not a helper.

The second: (different combat)
I have two motivations Love and Inspiration. Inspiration allows me to Discard and Ally for a +5 bonus in combat. Love allows me to Discord my hand (minimum of two cards) in order to avoid any effect that would make me discard an ally. Am I able to, in this case, discard my hand for a +5 in combat and keep my ally?

Last edited by Shako; 03-27-2024 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Shako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:49 PM   #2
m2pt5

Default Re: Two disputes

I'm not certain on the first one, but the second one is almost definitely no. That ally discard is a cost, not an effect.
m2pt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:40 PM   #3
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Two disputes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shako View Post
A couple of friends and I need to settle a dispute.

The first dispute:
I am level 9 and I’m about to beat a monster. My friend uses his Elsa Ally which states “ you may discard your hand (minimum of three cards) to freeze, the monster(s). This ends combat and no one gets treasures or levels”, during my combat and discards three cards to freeze the monster ending the turn. The ally card doesn’t specify whether he can use it on any combat or only on his turn. Is he able to use this Ally when he is not the active player? And no he has not a helper.

The second: (different combat)
I have two motivations Love and Inspiration. Inspiration allows me to Discard and Ally for a +5 bonus in combat. Love allows me to Discord my hand (minimum of two cards) in order to avoid any effect that would make me discard an ally. Am I able to, in this case, discard my hand for a +5 in combat and keep my ally?
1) No. Can only use ally abilities such as this during a combat that the owner is involved in. If he was not the active player nor a helper, he would not have been able to do this. Also you said he discarded three cards. I don't know if you meant he had more and only discarded three or only had three but "you may discard your hand (minimum of three cards)" means you discard your entire hand regardless of how many cards you have but you must have at least three to use it.

2) As said above, discarding a card to activate an ability can not be avoided.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote