Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: Let the idle speculation begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
It is a good world; Palladium Books has long been good at making worlds but not at making rules, the opposite of Steve Jackson Games.
Oh, I dunno. Infinite Worlds, Transhuman Space, Yrth ... those are pretty cool.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #12
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
It is a good world; Palladium Books has long been good at making worlds but not at making rules, the opposite of Steve Jackson Games.
Oh, I dunno. Infinite Worlds, Transhuman Space, Yrth ... those are pretty cool.
Reign of Steel.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Licensing a setting to direct competitors is usually bad form. Savage Worlds and GURPS are about as close as it gets for direct competition; equally as close as D&D 5 and Pathfinder.
They’re hardly direct competitors like D&D and Pathfinder, which were the same game as recently as a dozen years ago. Almost all gamers who go beyond D&D play more than two systems and are used to adapting. And despite genericness, Savage Worlds and GURPS systems have big differences; different levels of detail of task resolution is a big one. They’re as much competition as Savage Worlds and Palladium. And Palladium Books still sells Rifts with its house system.

A good comparison is Far Future Enterprises. It has one important asset, the Traveller IP, which is a situation akin to that of Palladium Books, whose one key asset is the Rifts IP. And FFE will license that IP freely, and letting licensees jump around the timeline, helping prevent any competition between them. Something could happen here if you’re worried about competition. Maybe things are before the Siege on Tolkeen.

Addendum: Having said that, I agree that there may be some reluctance on Siembieda's part to have a GURPS version, but it isn't owing to competition, but rather owing to the fact it took the guy a quarter century to license his game world in the first place. I think the most likely scenario is Munchkin Rifts. If that's fruitful, both parties would be willing to talk about GURPS Rifts or other joint endeavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Infinite Worlds, Transhuman Space, Yrth ... those are pretty cool.
None of those are cool. Infinite Worlds is a framing story to showcase GURPS’s adaptability, plus let you kill some Nazis (see the Munchkin card for more). Transhuman Space is alright but uninspired hard sci-fi setting. Yrth is an uninspired fantasy setting with a gimmick to let you play yourself but also to prevent you from changing the setting too much. Basically, those prove my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Reign of Steel.
This, however, is the great exception. There are few RPG settings that let you hold up the book to make your elevator pitch. This does that, with its tag line and cover art.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 08-14-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Palladium was not involved in that project.
After hearing about Palladium's right to Robotech I've given up understanding how they licence products. But more the case in point that if Steve Jackson was in the story I doubt it has anything to do with GURPS.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
After hearing about Palladium's right to Robotech I've given up understanding how they licence products.
Palladium doesn't have the rights to TMNT anything any more - that product line has been converted to "After the Bomb", a post-apocalyptic mutant-animal-rich setting with no mention of TMNT. I highly doubt they even had the rights for anything beyond making a TMNT RPG.

Typically a company doesn't sign over the rights to do "whatever, forever" for their IP (there are exceptions, of course). Most commonly they "lease" the IP for a specific list of products, or a set time period within a genre of products, and usually with review/oversight of the products. With media licenses they are usually further restricted by geography, distribution format, and/or language.

This is why you often see one-and-done product adaptations for RPGs - they literally only got the license for one product.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #16
Bruno

On the original topic, my money is also on Munchkin RIFTS. It could be something else that is original Palladium IP (there is a lot to work with), but RIFTS is their setting with the most immediate recognition value.

I kinda expect the first release to be an expansion for one of the other Munchkin games, or even something like Munchkin Blender (designed for many different Munchkin games). To test the waters, so to speak.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
On the original topic, my money is also on Munchkin RIFTS. It could be something else that is original Palladium IP (there is a lot to work with), but RIFTS is their setting with the most immediate recognition value.
The last I looked there appeared to be fairly successful Rifts minis game. That could crossover with Ogre.

Tags
gen con, palladium, speculation, steve jackson