Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #1001
Randyman

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
You'd also need to get rid of sleeping sickness (African trypanosomiasis) and wide-spread domestication of elands would probably help, too.
And now we're getting into "Domination of the Draka" territory...

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #1002
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
And now we're getting into "Domination of the Draka" territory...
I disliked that series, because Stirling had to warp human economic, cultural, social and political realities so much, just to make the Draka viable.

Weirdly, I found that rather comforting, too.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #1003
Kymage

Quote:
I disliked that series, because Stirling had to warp human economic, cultural, social and political realities so much, just to make the Draka viable.

I read the first book and wasn't too horribly bothered by it as I treated it as a book about a small unit combat situation with a background thrown in. Then I read the follow up books and so many things had be changed in that timeline (can anyone say Stupid Virus) to get the Draka to win that even ASBs would consider it too far fetched. I found myself on more one occasion thinking up ways to beat the Draka and who could do it.
Kymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #1004
Randyman

Quote:

Exactly my point. Any AH that includes "Africa as a sociopolitical powerhouse" has to warp and twist so hard that any result might as well be set on a terraformed Venus.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Old 04-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #1005
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Exactly my point. Any AH that includes "Africa as a sociopolitical powerhouse" has to warp and twist so hard that any result might as well be set on a terraformed Venus.
It is ironic that Africa had the environment that led directly to our species' evolution, yet also made developing large mid tech societies nearly impossible.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #1006
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It is ironic that Africa had the environment that led directly to our species' evolution, yet also made developing large mid tech societies nearly impossible.
"God is an iron." - Spider Robinson

Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #1007
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The disease and animals coevolved with us. They learned the hard way how to deal with us but didn't have to learn it all at once so they didn't get squashed.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #1008
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
The disease and animals coevolved with us. They learned the hard way how to deal with us but didn't have to learn it all at once so they didn't get squashed.
Also very few African plants and animals are very domesticatable like cattle, pigs, chickens, wheat-like grasses, and rice.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #1009
Astromancer

Quote:
You'd also need to get rid of sleeping sickness (African trypanosomiasis) and wide-spread domestication of elands would probably help, too.
Sleeping sickness is one of the diseases that got lauched by the events Keys talks about.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #1010
Astromancer

Quote:
If the Swahili coast culture had been able to spread inland, Africa would have had a much more important place in world history.

Still, think about the Gulf of Sidra. Change the geography of the gulf and stretch it south to the Sirir Tibasti area. Place a warm shallow arm of the sea deep into the Saharra. The trade links with Sub-Saharran Africa would be vastly better, and the cultural exchange far richer. Africa would be far more important in world history.

I still think high-yield crops getting to Africa earlier would be the easiest path to a powerful Africa in alternitive worlds.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited