Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Charm List [RPM]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Why are you adding mass? It is an implied consequence of a transformation.
Because the mass of either form cannot exceed the energy allocated for the mass of the subject of the ritual (it is fairly explicit in the rules and examples). In the case of the Body of Air trait, it must be added to avoid transforming the individual into an equal mass of inanimate gases. For an example of what happens when Greater Transform Body is combined Greater Transform Matter without the 'Body' trait, look at Petrify, which just turns someone into an inanimate statue. It is not control over a new form that the 'Body' trait gives, it is control over normally inanimate matter.

Since animals are naturally animate, you do not need a 'Body' trait to control the result of the transformation. In order to deprive an individual of control of the animal body, you would require a Greater Transform Mind ritual. A human mind in charge of a frog body is still a potential threat, even if a minor one. A frog mind in charge of a frog body can be ignored though.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 12-27-2019 at 06:19 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #12
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
You'd need to add Bestow a Penalty, Vision rolls to determine the total penalty the darkness is giving to those in the area.
And what about any bonuses to Vision rolls with Infravision, since you have so much more illumination from the light that's been red-shifted?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
If it's under your control - and your example probably would be - you pay for the Alternate Form. See Sylph Form for an example of this on p. 50 of GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic.
I definitely agree here. 9therwise I could make a nifty little ritual that turns me into Doctor Manhattan for about 50 pts, too. And that is just no.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Looking at what I gave an old Monster Hunters character tooled out to take out other mages:

Banisher:
Greater create XR(6) + lesser control spirit(5)+ lesser sense spirit(2)+ lesser control magic(5)+ 5 yard range (2) = (20)*3 = 60
When activated, finds the nearest demon within 5 yards and sends it back to Hell.

Death Net:
Lesser sense Body (2) + Greater Restore body (4) + lesser control magic (5) + 3d damage healed (8) = 19*3 = 57
This spell triggers when the subject falls unconscious from damage. It heals as much damage as it can, stabilizing the subject.

Standard Warding
Lesser Control Magic(5) + Lesser Control Magic(5) + Lesser Control Undead(5) + Lesser control Spirits (5) + area 70 yards (9*2=18) + duration 2 months (12) = 50 energy

When activated, this ward keeps out demons, undead, and spells. Very useful for setting up a defensible position.

Alarm System:
lesser control magic (5) Lesser sense magic (2)+ Lesser sense spirit (2)+ Lesser sense undead (2)+ lesser control matter (5) + area effect 700 yards (15*2 = 30) +duration 2 months (12) + exclude self (1) =59

Curse Killer:
Lesser Destroy Magic (5)+Lesser Control magic(5)+ Subject Weight 50 tons (8) + fluff (47) = 60

Enchanted on a baseball, triggers on impact. It dispels the thing that it hits. The "fluff" is to equal or exceed the cost of the original spell. The original character specialized in casting this spell, and with the aid of a grimoire and higher purpose (curse-breaker tradition) could sink a enourmous amount of energy into the spell.

Standard Version:
lesser control magic (5) +lesser create spirit (6)+lesser Create Mind (6)+lesser sense mind(2)+subject weight 10lbs (0)+range 1 mile (18)+duration 1 day (7) = 43

This spell creates a small spirit spy. The creature is built like a monkey, coloured to be easy to camouflage, and about 3 inches tall. A mental connection allows the creature to report to the caster. Any damage dissipates the creature, and many obstacles require direct supervision for it to overcome. Any damage will destroy it, as well casting any other spell on it, or moving it out of communication range with the caster.

You should also have a specialty that lets you cast a large and powerful spell, and keep a charm version of it.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote