Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Shadowrun Magic

It gets a little more complicated than that. Base movement is constant by metatype in Shadowrun 4e, but you can sprint with a simple action (a character gains one complex action or two simple actions per turn). A troll adept with Strength 9, Athletics 3, and Initiative Passes 4 could average 33 meters per second during a sprint (~74 mph). If it decides to attack instead, the troll gets four actions per turn (of course, this is only 8 simple actions per three GURPS turns, ~3 attacks per GURPS turn).

One possible way of dealing with this would be to have each level of Increased Reflexes give Basic Speed +1.00 [20], Basic Move +6 [30], and Extra Attack 1 (Alternative Ability to Basic Move+6; Multi-strike, +20%) [6]. A character with Increased Reflexes 3 would gain Basic Speed +3.00 and could choose Basic Move +18 and one attack, Basic Move +12 and two attacks, Basic Move +6 and three attacks, or Basic Move +0 and four attacks.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #22
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A troll adept with Strength 9, Athletics 3, and Initiative Passes 4 could average 33 meters per second during a sprint (~74 mph).
Regarding all the history of Shadowrun, not just the rules of SR4, personally I would really not convert that! The point is these kind of metrics did change very often, you should not see them as a fixed benchmark. E.g. in classic SR2 move maneuvers were explicitly limited, so speed reflexes definitely did not mean that you could run excessively fast. On the other hand in the novels you read of cybered characters running in the region of 35 mph or something like that, maybe 40 mph or so being the upper limit. But for the (meta)human body a speed of over 70 mph is ridiculous anyways IMHO, this was just broken in some versions of the rules if you ask me. (*)

E.g. just note: For the above example the SR4 ruling _does not_ even require super-ultra-high-awesome cyber joints which would be totally necessary to make that kind of super running (realistically) "somehow" possible (if we're not in the marvel verse ;).

*: Of course, in reference to a reflex spell, one could just say "it's just magic..." but these reflexes would still have to be comparable to cyberware / bioware equivalents, so the issue remains.

Last edited by OldSam; 01-13-2020 at 03:41 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #23
Hugin

I've dabbled a bit with doing an SR3 Magic adaption to GURPS 4e. I was going to start off a campaign in 2050 and use a bunch of my SR 1-3 adventures. I never finished, but what I have is below:

Code:
GURPS Shadowrun 2050 Magic Notes

Magic Based on Other Attributes(TH29)
    • Will-Based Magic(TH29)
    • (Will/2)+5  - Calculated Bases (TH30)

Magical Aptitude (5) (= Magery level 0)
Magical Talent (10) (=Magery 1+)
Astral Perception (?)
Astral Projection (?)
Unusual Background - Magical Initiation(?) [allows the access of more Magical Talent beyond the default 3 levels, and access to “metamagic”(whatever that is)]

Casting Spells (M7)
As in Gurps Magic page 7, with the following adjustments:
    • Success: reduce the energy cost by 1 FP per 3 margin of successes, and mark off the spell’s energy cost against your FP. Its effects take place immediately. 
    • Failure, the spell does not work and you must pay the full energy cost. 
    • Critical failure, you take half energy cost in HP damage and the spell fails badly.

Distraction and Injury (M7)
What does “your spell is spoiled” mean in terms of FP drain ect…?

Energy Cost(M8)
Energy costs are only reduced by 1 FP per 3 margin of successes on the spell roll.  This means that a person with an effective spell level of 19 will almost always reduce the energy cost by at least 1 FP. (a roll of 16(19-16=3 success) and he reduces the FP cost by 1 point.)

Burning HP(M8)
As in Gurps Magic Page 8, except that burning HP to fuel a spell produces 2 points of energy for every HP lost. 

Magic Rituals (M8-9)
Use the Optional Rule: Alternate Magic Rituals(M9) also know as Flexible Rituals (TH37)

Optional Rule: Alternate Magic Rituals(M9)
Modifier |Effect
+1 | Speak the incantation loudly and articulately, and are especially precise with your movements (double the casting time).
0 | By default, all spells require two-handed gestures, subtle foot motions like dance steps, and a clearly spoken incantation.
-2 | No foot movements at all.
-2 | Gestures with only one hand.
-4 | Casting with no hand gestures at all.
-2 | Softly spoken incantations.
-4 | No incantation at all.
-10 | No gestures, foot movements, or incantations (combination of  above )

Minor System Tweaks (TH35)
    • Increase the range of Missile spells by doubling 1/2D and Max. Also increase Acc by 1 or 2 points.
    • Use the Size and Speed/Range Table (p. B550) for Regular and Area Spells.

Minor System Additions(TH38) 
    • Spell Defaults(TH38)
        ◦ Each spell defaults to every other spell in the same college. A spell unknown to the wizard defaults to one that he does know at -4, plus an additional penalty equal to its prerequisite count (TH261-267). However, if the known spell is in the prerequisite chain of the unknown one, add a bonus equal to the known spell’s prerequisite count. A wizard can’t cast a spell at default if it requires an advantage (most often a level of Magery) that he lacks. Spells cast at default cost double their usual base energy and double their casting time.
    • Trading Energy for Enhancements(TH39) (possible metamagic?)
        ◦ Each +1 energy and -1 to skill allows +5% worth of enhancements; e.g., by spending +4 FP and taking -4 to his spellcasting roll, a wizard could cast Lightning with the No Signature enhancement (+20%), enabling him to shoot invisible bolts.
        ◦ List of legal spell enhancements needed.
    • Trading Energy for Speed and Skill (TH39) (possible metamagic?)
        ◦ Faster Casting: Wizards can reduce casting time by one second per 4 extra energy points spent. This option can’t reduce casting time below a second, and isn’t available for ceremonial magic.
        ◦ Increased Effective Skill: The energy-for-skill tradeoff of Ceremonial Magic (p. B238) applies to all castings: +1 to skill for 20% extra energy, +2 for 40%, +3 for 60%, +4 for 100%, and another +1 per additional 100% of the required energy. Such skill increases affect the roll to cast the spell, but they don’t reduce casting time, energy cost, or critical success threshold. A further option for Missile spells is to give +1 to the attack roll per extra energy point spent. These Skill increases can be used with spell defaults however the extra energy cost for skill is based off of the default spell’s doubled energy cost.
I also have GURPS 4e Templates for Shadowrun Metahumans. I tried to read the flavor text from SR1, SR2, and SR3 and kind of use the spirit of the metahuman rather than a direct conversion. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited by Hugin; 01-14-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Hugin is offline   Reply With Quote