Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2020, 04:20 AM   #61
Gnomasz

Default Re: GURPS 4.5e

I'd like to see a re-scaling of tactical combat, so that vertical measure equals horizontal for standard minis. You know, on the map a 1-inch hex is 3 feet, but a 1-inch tall figure represents roughly a 5-feet tall combatant? I've been toying with this a lot and when I've thought I've come to terms with the RAW, simply accepting that the room seems wider than it is. But yesterday I was preparing a figure for a centaur and asked myself again: should I scale it for length or height? That's… annoying.
Close combat being in the same hex by default is also not-friendly for minis.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #62
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I'd like to see a re-scaling of tactical combat, so that vertical measure equals horizontal for standard minis.
The difficulty there is that living things are much, much better than minis at adapting their posture and balance so that they can stay upright in crowded spaces.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #63
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I'd like to see a re-scaling of tactical combat, so that vertical measure equals horizontal for standard minis. You know, on the map a 1-inch hex is 3 feet, but a 1-inch tall figure represents roughly a 5-feet tall combatant? I've been toying with this a lot and when I've thought I've come to terms with the RAW, simply accepting that the room seems wider than it is. But yesterday I was preparing a figure for a centaur and asked myself again: should I scale it for length or height? That's… annoying.
Close combat being in the same hex by default is also not-friendly for minis.
The DFRPG minis, too, size many of the human (or like-sized creature) illustrations at 1". Which, as you note, is actually halfling size . . .

But as johndallman suggests, that artificial compactness does help keep things upright and manageable on crowded maps. It also keeps metal minis cheaper (2" minis would be quite a sight - and costly, too!), lets SJG print more DFRPG minis on each sheet, and so on.

If you want minis to realistically scale to the map, have you tried simply changing the map hex size? Hexes of about 0.6" would nicely fit 1"-high human minis; 0.5" hexes should work nicely too, if making the average mini a bit heroically tall.

Whatever the size, smaller hexes offer a big bonus: more spacious caverns and battlefields on the gaming table.

(Side note on the DFRPG minis: I'd like to see the barbarian mini scaled up to fill more of his cardboard counter. He just looks shrimpy.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #64
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
If you want minis to realistically scale to the map, have you tried simply changing the map hex size? Hexes of about 0.6" would nicely fit 1"-high human minis; 0.5" hexes should work nicely too, if making the average mini a bit heroically tall.
Yes, I did! The bases didn't fit the hexes, so the problem with close combat became "the problem with CC and Reach 1". Hence re-scaling: I've thought about 5' hexes (akin to DnD) or 6' hexes (akin to Iron Kingdoms)… You know what, I might open a new thread with all my thoughts… tomorrow, today's a busy day.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:17 AM   #65
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone 5 View Post
NO CHANGES NO NEW EDITION
Instead just have Alternate Rules like SJG published in the Pyramid magazine.
After spending a TON of money on 3rd Edition, then later going to 4th edition - well I do not want to do that again.
If you make a new edition, GCA, which I and others depend on heavily, would have to change. The current version has not changed in many years although it has faults, and GCA5, for lack of a better name, is a revised/updated version of GCA4 which has been in the works for years with very little sign of completion.
The current game system works fine, if there is something you do not like then change that in your games - that is what GURPS is about.
GURPS Character Sheet (now at Version 4.13.5), which is free got an update January 1, 2020.

So not only do we have runs on Linux and MacOS without resorting to something like WINE but we also have get updated more often to add to the its free open source to use GCS over GCA.

Just what makes GCA worth the money? I'm really curious.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #66
Rupert

One of the little things I'd want is pi- to do 2/3rds of rolled damage as injury, rather than the current 1/2. It would problably need to be re-costed at 4/level for Innate Attack. As it stands pi- is a terrible damage type if it's from a gun or something like that, which you purchased, but is also so cheap as an Innate Attack that it makes for over-powered attacks when the main effect is delivered as a follow-up.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #67
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
GURPS Character Sheet (now at Version 4.13.5), which is free got an update January 1, 2020.

So not only do we have runs on Linux and MacOS without resorting to something like WINE but we also have get updated more often to add to the its free open source to use GCS over GCA.

I find GCA's handling of equipment and of templates better, but my players prefer to be cheap, so we use GCS.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #68
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
For me:
  • It isn't Java. For work-related reasons, I avoid Java-based software.
  • The other players and GMs in my GURPS groups use it, or don't maintain their own characters.
  • The Phoenix printing character sheet is excellent, and its use of sizes and colours can be adjusted for my sight problems.
  • While it costs money, it is not expensive, and the support from Armin and ericbsmith is good.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote