Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #18
Major Ross

Default Re: Pole Weapons: Attack / Defense Question

Thanks for citing the: Changing Options rule. I found it in my old copy of Wizard, as well, and it makes sense. However, back to my initial example of our Swordsman and Spearman. If the Spearman is one hex away, and disengaged, from our Swordsman, and, the Spearman has a higher DX, then if he wins initiative, he can either back up 2 hexes and then charge 3 hexes in a straight line to get the bonus die of damage against our Swordsman (who could defend against it, or, take the pole weapon charge attack, and then attempt an attack of his own), or, the Spearman could also tell the Swordsman to move first, and then if the Swordsman elects to conduct a charge attack of his own against the Spearman, he allows the Spearman to gain both a +2 adjustment to his DX and a bonus die of damage if the Spearman hits!

But, what if the Swordsman just decides to move the 1 hex and, using the CHANGING OPTIONS rule above, DEFEND, against any attack from the now engaged Spearman? I’m cool with that, but, does the Spearman still get his +2 DX bonus and the bonus die of damage (if he hits)? Or, is all that waived, since our Swordsman is NOT attacking, but now simply defending in anticipation of a nasty pole weapon, set in the ground for added defense and damage?? This is where the confusion lies right now, in my opinion....

Thanks,

Ross
Major Ross is offline   Reply With Quote