Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #551
Snowy06

Default Re: Member House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Bear in mind, one can choose to become a Cultist as well. It's not something that only happens against ones will.
Of course, but there are also a number of ways Cult membership is forced on you. That mechanic in and of itself is fine, but it was no fun for us to have that happen and then end the game because the sole non-cultist was now a cultist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
A player can't get help if he's not losing the combat. You can't just bring a helper into the combat just because you want to. You must either have be losing based on combat strength, or some other card must require you to have a helper to win the combat before you can get a helper.
Right. I phrased my response poorly I'm afraid. There was a lot of "Oh I'll help you for 'nothing' (but the winning level)" going on. Instead of taking help from someone who would not gain the winning level, but wanted treasure or what have you the main combatant would say "Well I know the Elf will win from this, but I don't want Non-Elf to win down the line or take my treasure so I'll just be a petty jerk and let Elf get this winning level." Granted this is somewhat Munchkinly and could lead to everyone trying to stop that, but we had some trouble with it. It just worked in our particular group to decide that the Elf can't get the winning level that way.
Snowy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #552
Jedi_Jalapeno

Default New Way to Play!

I came up with a new way to play Munchkin:

1. Everybody must make it to the end. If even one person dies, the whole gang loses.
2. It's cooperative. No curses!
3. If you have a race, and someone has a card in their hand that affects your race, and they can't use it, they HAVE to give it to you. (MWAHAHAHAHA)

Try this style out and give me some feedback!
Jedi_Jalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #553
Splume

When I play with my friends or cousins, we play with a house rule that a "Go Up a Level" Card can be played as a +10 to monster. My cousins claim that this is an actual rule, but I've never found it.
Splume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #554
Patsycoconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splume View Post
When I play with my friends or cousins, we play with a house rule that a "Go Up a Level" Card can be played as a +10 to monster. My cousins claim that this is an actual rule, but I've never found it.
This is an interesting way to toughen up the game but it certainly not an official rule.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #555
RL

The Dungeon of Mandatory Murder from Munchkin 6 may be the source of confusion here. While in that dungeon, Go Up a Level cards no longer affect your Level, but they can instead be used to give +10 to either side in a combat.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #556
FaydTarkin

One of my favorites is "Munchkin Zombie Dice." Play Munchkin Zombies normally, but during each combat, players have the option to randomly select 1-13 dice from the Zombie Dice pack. They roll the dice as the concluding action for the fight, much like the die roll in Munchkin Quest. You calculate their rolls like Fudge Dice--Brains +1, Feet 0, Shotgun -1. The final result is added to their final effective level.

For those with an iPhone/iPad/Android, you can add the Zombie Dice App to the mix. As play goes around the table, so does the iPad (but not at the same rate as the players, or things bog down). Whenever someone wins a game of Zombie Dice App, he gains a level in Munchkin Zombies.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #557
All_Thumbs

When playing Epic, we have found that it's sometimes too easy to win combats as you get all buffed up. So we added 2 house rules:

1) Buying a level costs 2000gp once you're Epic.

2) Each monster gets +10 to its Level when fighting an Epic player.

Rule 2 makes for some difficult combats for newly-epic characters if they kick down the door and find 2 high-level monsters; maybe too difficult. I've thought of maybe a tiered system of +5 for a Level 10-14 character, and +10 beyond that, but I don't want to make it too complicated. Munchkin is about backstabbing and treasure, not arithmetic exercises. Might try just +10 per combat instead of per monster.

To answer a question asked elsewhere, we play GUALs normally. An Epic player can go up one level using one GUAL card.
All_Thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #558
dhurtt

Default Boss Fight

[Moderator edit: Moved to the house rules thread, since this is clearly a house rule.] [OP edit: Sorry about that. Still trying to learn the rules of this forum and where everything goes.]

One of the complaints I have heard several times is that the player that wins usually does so by being lucky enough to draw (or play) a wimpy monster when poised at Level 9. Although this may be Munchkin-y, it is not like the adventures that it is attempting to parody, where you have the Boss Fight and kill the Boss Monster.

So, if you want your games to be a little more challenging, you can use this Boss Fight variant. At the start of the game, select a Boss Monster. Typically this is the baddest monster in the deck, such as the Plutonium Dragon in Munchkin or The Dragon Lady in Munchkin Fu. Set this card aside (or if using Munchkin Deluxe, set the card on the Level 10 Room). Now play the game as normal.

When a player draws a monster when Kicking Down the Door, or plays a monster when Looking for Trouble, if the Munchkin were to fight the Boss Monster rather than the monster drawn/played they could win, they will fight the Boss Monster instead.

So in a standard game this means that you would fight the Boss Monster at Level 8 if the Boss Monster were worth two levels. If you were a Samurai, for example, you would meet the Boss Monster at Level 7, as you gain an extra level for fighting a monster worth twice your base level. A Cowboy with a Steed would be in the same position, at Level 7 you can win by reaching Level 9, so at Level 7 you fight the Boss Monster.

The hard and fast rule is that you CANNOT get the winning level unless you get it from killing the Boss Monster. (Cards that allow you to go up a winning level circumvent this requirement, of course.)

Note that it is possible to go to Level 9 without meeting the Boss Monster. You could buy your way up, etc. If you happen to be unlucky enough not to draw Monsters, you might sit at Level 9 for awhile (just as in any other game).

If you try this variant out, let me know how it works out and what changes you make. If you have any questions, let me know.

Dale

Last edited by dhurtt; 04-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.
dhurtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #559
Clipper

dhurtt, it's an interesting concept, but it removes one of the better (and usually best) monsters in the game from showing up randomly.

Another way to remove the possibility of the quick and simple win might be to borrow a rule from Munchkin Quest as a house rule:

Once a player reaches Level 10 (which they still must do as normal), they can attempt to fight a boss monster on their next turn/s. When Kicking Open the Door, they draw cards from the deck until they find a monster (discarding the others) and they consider it to be Level 20 regardless of its written Level. Automatic methods of defeat cannot be used on a boss monster and if the boss monster is killed, the player wins the game.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #560
dhurtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
dhurtt, it's an interesting concept, but it removes one of the better (and usually best) monsters in the game from showing up randomly.
Why do you consider that an issue? In most games, you won't even go through all of the monsters. So, the odds of hitting any particular monster is not that high, especially as the monster behind the door, unless you burn through cards. (A lot more likely if you use the Fast Play rules, but just as likely you will draw it to hand as encounter it.)
dhurtt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice