Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Extrarius

Default What does (psuedo-)2018 Modern Espionage look like?

I'm interested in trying to run a conspiracy/secret-centered game through the lens of characters that are agents of espionage (spies, diplomats, other?).

We know, through now-public information, that modern technology plays (or can play) a big part in many tasks related to espionage, from observation to subterfuge to sabotage to simple destruction. Likewise, it is used to escape detection through secure/covert communication, decentralized organization and planning, and more. With the internet as it is, I imagine that computer work rarely requires somebody in the field, but it seems like a nice element to include and having at least one field-capable Hacker seems to vastly expand the game-play possibilities.

With all that said, I have no real idea what espionage looks like (aside from James Bond, which is too solo-focused, the only potential source that comes to mind is Archer, and I'm aiming somewhat more serious {taken up to at least only half-joking}).

Are there any books, movies, or other resource you'd suggest I look at for inspiration or a better understanding of espionage? What is your conception of modern espionage, and how would you approach creating a relevant setting (for GURPS, if that matters)?
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
tanksoldier

Default Re: What does (psuedo-)2018 Modern Espionage look like?

For industrial espionage try the movie Duplicity.

I took a graduate class on US vs fUSSR Cold War espionage.

It actually isn’t that exciting. Even when you found out who a spy, mole or whatever was you usually didn’t do anyth8ng about it... you used them to fond others by seeing who they came into contact with. Almost always very boring.

There still are modern day field agents, the main method of breaking into a protected system is finding someone’s written down password and most government network security is a joke.

The main method of protecting really important stuff is to keep it off computer systems that have any connection to the internet... so to get in you still have to physically access the network. The usual means is by suborning someone who already has access.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-18-2018 at 02:59 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
The Colonel

HumInt has changed very little ... MICE (Money/Ideology/Conscience/Ego) are still behind most betrayals and blackmail is still effective as well... all that changes is what people can be blackmailed about.

You are right to discard Bond as a model - Fleming was a commando, not a spy and his character, even in the books, is more assassin than spy. George Smiley is a far better example than Bond. Most spy work is sordid and dull...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
ak_aramis

ELINT (ELectronic INTelligence) is mostly guys at computers launching tailored computer virii and then tabulating the resulting data flows...

Acquaintances at the 6981 ESG describe their jobs as "humdrum on a good day" or "Boring unless you like logic puzzles without known solutions"...

TV and Movies make them cringe...

It's all about code injection for data accessions, and data mining of the accessioned data.

Ok, some of it is to make certain devices fail. Some, not much.

Geeks in uniform slaving over PC's generating attack code, or decrypting captured files.

I once heard from a guy working in the 6981 ESG that they spent a week decrypting a captured file... only to find out it was his mother's cookbook. Stored on a secure military server, and captured to another military's secure military server.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
L.J.Steele

When a relative of mine worked for State Dept., I tried to convince her to download a bunch of alt.conspiracy, run it thru PGP, and put it on a flash drive dangling from her purse.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #6
RogerBW

Fleming was a fanboy. He came up with dozens of grandiose schemes; the few that could actually be done took a lot of work by other people to make them into something achievable.

He does appear genuinely to have believed that sex-and-snobbery was how a spy ought to behave.

The HUMINT/ELINT conflict continues, though the ELINT people mostly won in the 1990s. It's probably no more effective, but it has less potential for embarrassing rogues among your own people.

I agree with The Colonel that most of the real thing is very dull.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Fleming was a fanboy. He came up with dozens of grandiose schemes; the few that could actually be done took a lot of work by other people to make them into something achievable.

He does appear genuinely to have believed that sex-and-snobbery was how a spy ought to behave.

The HUMINT/ELINT conflict continues, though the ELINT people mostly won in the 1990s. It's probably no more effective, but it has less potential for embarrassing rogues among your own people.

I agree with The Colonel that most of the real thing is very dull.
Fleming was an actual spy or at least a controller back at headquarters. He just made a more glamorous version of it in his stories. He also lived back when Licence to Kill was a real thing as Heydritch had cause to know. Incidently he lived when people actually did argue over whether Vodka Martinis should be shaken or stirred.

"Snobbery with violence" (which is another way I have heard it described and makes a terrific pun) also occurred, because of course the type of people that patronize snobby places are also the type of people who spies want to find out about. After all Joe Schmo the Grocer, is not likely to be a mover and shaker (unless of course he is...). And of course the sex was part of it; it has always been known as a way to manipulate people.

What Bond gets wrong is the exagerration. Having so many flamboyant liasons would be a security risk, and destroying so many cars while carrying out an assassination calls attention to oneself besides being inelegant.

It must be remembered however that most of anything is dull. Writers simply smudge that by saying things like, "And the brave company of adventurers traveled on for many days".

Last edited by jason taylor; 06-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
I'm interested in trying to run a conspiracy/secret-centered game through the lens of characters that are agents of espionage (spies, diplomats, other?).

We know, through now-public information, that modern technology plays (or can play) a big part in many tasks related to espionage, from observation to subterfuge to sabotage to simple destruction. Likewise, it is used to escape detection through secure/covert communication, decentralized organization and planning, and more. With the internet as it is, I imagine that computer work rarely requires somebody in the field, but it seems like a nice element to include and having at least one field-capable Hacker seems to vastly expand the game-play possibilities.

With all that said, I have no real idea what espionage looks like (aside from James Bond, which is too solo-focused, the only potential source that comes to mind is Archer, and I'm aiming somewhat more serious {taken up to at least only half-joking}).

Are there any books, movies, or other resource you'd suggest I look at for inspiration or a better understanding of espionage? What is your conception of modern espionage, and how would you approach creating a relevant setting (for GURPS, if that matters)?
One thing you might try doing is studying up on the technical manuals. Aside from that, James Dunnigan has always done fascinating studies on world conflict.

Every once in awhile you will get a spy memoir or history. However much you want to trust such things really doesn't matter from your pov: you are writing an RPG.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
tanksoldier

Thinking more about it, if you want a more exciting espionage campaign set it in a neutral country during a hot or serious cold war.... Casablanca style. Things can be a bit more edgy and violent, to a point... can't upset the locals and get yourself kicked out or interned.

Quote:
It must be remembered however that most of anything is dull. Writers simply smudge that by saying things like, "And the brave company of adventurers traveled on for many days"
...until they reached the frozen land of Nandor, where they were forced to eat Sir Robin's minstrels.... and there was much rejoicing.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 06-19-2018 at 01:44 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
ak_aramis

Several aspects are still part of the spy game, yet action oriented...

Things like
  • "capture the electronic ID of the target's SUV"
  • "capture the SIM id"
  • recon for an Operator strike
  • negotiation with rebels/insurgents
  • data delivery to rebels/insurgents
  • observation for later humint work
  • fake business for observation
  • sneak-n-peek into key facilities
  • Visual confirmation of ELINT data
  • Wetwork (assassinations and public humiliations)

Many of these are precursors to HUMINT or ELINT.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote