Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #21
Dalin

Default Re: Good Adventures and Campaigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
TSR 9075 "Castle Ravenloft" for AD&D by Tracy & Laura Hickman - The actual adventure is kind of inconsistent, but I've run two campaigns that explored a castle that was strongly based on Castle Ravenloft and most of the individual encounters were pretty solid. There were some rough parts, but I'd say 80% of the original adventure provided good inspiration for my games.
I also had a lot of fun with that module back in the day. The map was awesome for its time. The one thing I didn't like back then and was surprised that they kept in the Curse of Strahd rewrite was the goofy names on all of the crypts. Seemed out of keeping with the tone of the rest of the adventure.

As for adventures that I've liked over the years, I've mostly played fantasy, so I draw inspiration from a lot of old D&D adventures. One of my favorite go-to adventures for beginning groups is the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. It definitely has a scooby-doo vibe, but I've probably run it more than any other adventure. It translates quite easily to GURPS of DFRPG.

Another adventure I have gotten good use out of was Pharoah, also by Tracy and Laura Hickman. There are plenty of gimmicky bits, but I've run it multiple times using both D&D and GURPS rules.

More recently, I came across Into the Feywild by Kiel Chenier (published by EN World). It's for 5e, but easily translates to DFRPG. I've run it a few times as a one-shot. It's less combat-oriented than many adventures, which I appreciate.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #22
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
In general, Chaosium does very good adventures.
That was why I was surprised that the sample Lovecraftian adventures on their website were "fight scene, motivation to move to the next fight scene, repeat." I could write those when I was 18!

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:55 AM   #23
Baldo

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...-High-Moors-5E
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...High-Moors-OSE
The High Moors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olartheblue
As a traditionalist I must confess I was slightly apprehensive before playing this (although intrigued) My first Hex crawl I didn’t feel part of the world at the start however, ‘dive in’ and you will not be disappointed. Fresh, interesting, new, terrifying, stomach churning, engaging, this game is jam packed with great new twists and turns on old ideas (the odd wonderful touch of eighties fantasy culture thrown in) and plenty of brand spanking new ideas to keep you interested at every stage of the journey. I was absolutely gutted when it ended. Love, love, loved it!
Me too raved about this masterpiece in another thread, but I'm adding The High Moors here because the "Universal" nature of GURPS is very useful with this epic campaign/sandbox/adventure.
Amongst other things, the players are likely to visit different worlds with varying Tech Levels, and absolutely have to pick their combats wisely (the encounter areas do include a god or two, for example).
Pretty sure The High Moors does belong here, just see the *free* player maps below (the map for The Known Lands is 1 hex = 80 miles):
https://unsoundmethodsblog.wordpress...ithout-labels/
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #24
Tinman

I've liked all the Space 1889 published adventures, I've also liked many of the Call of Cthulhu adventures by Chaosium.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:45 PM   #25
ZenUniversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I suspect that Ken Hite's Dracula Dossier would be fun and GURPSable. You might have to adapt it to make sure the party can't get stuck if they fail an information-gathering roll.
Running Dracula Dossier right now with my group. The great thing about the adventure is that there are so many available clues, even with failed rolls players pick up on a bunch of them. Plus with the GURPS skill system, everyone is pretty versatile at 150 points (I'd probably drop to 125 or even 100 if I were to start over and with a more experienced group). So far the biggest challenge they've faced has been finding a tree in Regent's park.

And who doesn't love putting points into TA(Stake/Heart)?
ZenUniversal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #26
Juan

The chained coffin series series published by Goodman games went pretty well.
It is an exploration kind of campaign. Its core is hexcrawling but with more encounter and investigation adventures setting.

Some of the adventures feel more like encounters and I even mixed the first two as a single adventure. The setting is quite appealing.

Being DCC rules conversion was not straightforward but not too hard. Magic took some thinking time but alchemy, bard magic and Divine favor for patrons did work for us.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, system-independent