Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #31
KarlKost

Default Re: types of jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Here's the thing: Writing GURPS books doesn't require you to have a scholarly depth of knowledge; it requires you to know something about the topic, and it requires you to know how to do research. I read over a dozen books and lots and lots of Web pages for GURPS High-Tech: Electricity and Electronics; I read a two-volume textbook on traditional Chinese medicine for GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers. As Nietzsche put it, "A curiosity such as mine is the most agreeable of all vices," and new GURPS books give me an excuse for indulging it. Choose your topic and immerse yourself.
Wait, did you wrote those?
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #32
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKost View Post
Wait, did you wrote those?
Yes, he did. Many of the GURPS authors participate in these forums.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #33
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Yes, he did. Many of the GURPS authors participate in these forums.
I know that, one of many the awesome things about this forums.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #34
Witchking

Quote:
I particularly remember that one of the locations was Odessa, and nearly all the students put it in Texas, because that was the setting of a popular television series of the time; it didn't occur to them to look further, and they had never heard of the one in Ukraine (which would have been more relevant to a world history course!).
And it's not like Odessa is a johnny come lately or a one hit wonder. She has wandered across History about as long as folks been writing down the dumb things they have been doing.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #35
Witchking

Quote:
As Nietzsche put it, "A curiosity such as mine is the most agreeable of all vices," and new GURPS books give me an excuse for indulging it. Choose your topic and immerse yourself.
Ah Research, another one on the list of 'can I possibly justify this character concept having this skill'. Because if the answer is yes on the sheet it goes.

Reseach, Merchant, Riding, Hiking, Tactics, Streetwise, Brawling/Boxing/Judo/Karate...

A point to start for buy in and if the GM rolls in that direction buy more as needed.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:06 PM   #36
KarlKost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
And it's not like Odessa is a johnny come lately or a one hit wonder. She has wandered across History about as long as folks been writing down the dumb things they have been doing.
Well, out of the heart, out of the mind, so they say.

Quote:
Ah Research, another one on the list of 'can I possibly justify this character concept having this skill'. Because if the answer is yes on the sheet it goes.

Reseach, Merchant, Riding, Hiking, Tactics, Streetwise, Brawling/Boxing/Judo/Karate...

A point to start for buy in and if the GM rolls in that direction buy more as needed.
"I wanna be a mage."
"How on Earth would yo"
"I spend a lot of time on the library"
Old 06-26-2022, 04:41 PM   #37
Witchking

Quote:
"I wanna be a mage."
"How on Earth would yo"
"I spend a lot of time on the library"
Basically I want to be almost any character archetype expect Conan(TM).

'I am a Merchant prince and am looking at cornering the silver market. Well historically what happens when silver prices start climbing precipitously? Lemme go to the library and find out.'

'I am a General. I have been handed a grab bag of forces. Everything I can think of says I lose. I do not have an idea. I need an outside of the box way to try and skin this small feline. Lemme go read up on prior Military Geniuses from Alexander to Rommel. If I can't think of a good idea, theft of a good idea is almost as good.'

'I am a Mage. I want to break the laws of Physics/Biology/Grammar/Parking. I need to know the laws better before I figure out how. Lemme...'

Research CAN be very flexible. It can show the character putting work into an idea and gives the GM a chance (on a good roll) to point out flaws/problems that are about to bite the PC in the hindend. The usual limiters are having a large library in proximity and having enough lead time before the task must be executed.

It is enough to put it on the sheet for me (unless it violates the character concept). Now whether it survives the brutal 'I do not have enough points in the budget. Something has to go!' that takes up 50-95% of the character build process for me at least...that is another thing.

But it usually at least gets consideration.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #38
KarlKost

Quote:
Basically I want to be almost any character archetype expect Conan(TM).

'I am a Merchant prince and am looking at cornering the silver market. Well historically what happens when silver prices start climbing precipitously? Lemme go to the library and find out.'

'I am a General. I have been handed a grab bag of forces. Everything I can think of says I lose. I do not have an idea. I need an outside of the box way to try and skin this small feline. Lemme go read up on prior Military Geniuses from Alexander to Rommel. If I can't think of a good idea, theft of a good idea is almost as good.'

'I am a Mage. I want to break the laws of Physics/Biology/Grammar/Parking. I need to know the laws better before I figure out how. Lemme...'

Research CAN be very flexible. It can show the character putting work into an idea and gives the GM a chance (on a good roll) to point out flaws/problems that are about to bite the PC in the hindend. The usual limiters are having a large library in proximity and having enough lead time before the task must be executed.

It is enough to put it on the sheet for me (unless it violates the character concept). Now whether it survives the brutal 'I do not have enough points in the budget. Something has to go!' that takes up 50-95% of the character build process for me at least...that is another thing.

But it usually at least gets consideration.
Well, as someone who has a PhD on pretending to be smart by having a PhD on using Google with an almost obscessive tenacity, you need not sell me the power of Research!

Quote:
The usual limiters are having a large library in proximity and having enough lead time before the task must be executed.
Or you just need a magic box reproducing the words of the divine Oracle know as "Google" to reach the entire collection of human knowledge in this golden era of wonders we live in!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:19 PM   #39
Witchking

Quote:
Or you just need a magic box reproducing the words of the divine Oracle know as "Google" to reach the entire collection of human knowledge in this golden era of wonders we live in!
Well my biases are showing. I have roleplayed almost all genres except Horror (and anyone who plays with me would say that DEFINES horror). In at least a dozen or so systems.

However my preference and default assumptions are based on Sword + Sorcery genre. Tech tending to top out early renaissance, magic somewhat less than the DnD assumption (at least 2E/Ad+d years last time Ive really looked at those rules), a decent amount of rules crunch but not to the levels that Rule...pardon me Rolemaster can get to.

Yes as tech goes up Research the skill gets more powerful and easier and thus I tend to give it even more consideration.

There are some limitations to Research in a pre-printing press world...but often still a worthwhile skill.

Last edited by Witchking; 06-26-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Witchking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:33 PM   #40
KarlKost

Quote:
There are some limitations to Research in a pre-printing press world...but often still a worthwhile skill.
Well, while I eagerly wait the day I'll finally be able to download any knowledge I wish directly to my brain with but a thought, I'd say that greeks, romans, egptians, chinese, persians, babylonians and many many others had pretty impressive collections of papyrus and huge libraries... For the selective few, yes, but still.

As long as it isnt TL0 whose only library would be the shamans' stories, I think it"s always avaiable

Tags
survival