Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
HeatDeath

Default Re: Ogre 6th Edition vs. bi-pedal battle mecha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I'm not sure there's too much terrain that walkers can navigate that Ogres can't...!

Just saying...!

<grin>

D.
The outer hull of a capital spaceship in low orbit? :D

More seriously, any kind of really narrow mountain pass or canyon, particularly if it's been partially blocked by rubble?
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Is that the reason? They always looked completely stupid to me, and their appeal was thus a mystery.
I would agree that many of them look a bit stupid — and more to the point, implausible — but some of them aren't so bad. For example, I've always been somewhat fond of the type with the "backwards" legs, such as the Vulture, Marauder, and Mad Cat. (If you're only putting two legs on something that heavy, then at least "backwards" legs seem marginally more believable than "forwards.")
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
palaeomerus

Why pick on Battletech? It has long been at the low end of the sci-fi game power curve with ablative armor, hilariously low ranges for weapons, 1 ton computers, machine ammo explosions after falling down, heat, no nukes due to the big foo-foo "fight nice" treaty, etc.

Try it with other mecha stuff like Macross or VOTOMS where nukes and weapons that can gut five mile long alien battleships are bit more common.

Giant tanks/land battleships really aren't any more realistic or effective. BPC is just a fancy way of saying unobtanium. Deployed Ogres can't even cross trenches. I don't see the source of "better than yours" smugness here. It's just a sci-fi background. It will presumably be 'bigger than some' and 'smaller than others' in terms of what claims it makes about its take on future warfare.

Last edited by palaeomerus; 07-01-2012 at 10:41 PM.
palaeomerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #24
palaeomerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I would agree that many of them look a bit stupid — and more to the point, implausible — but some of them aren't so bad. For example, I've always been somewhat fond of the type with the "backwards" legs, such as the Vulture, Marauder, and Mad Cat. (If you're only putting two legs on something that heavy, then at least "backwards" legs seem marginally more believable than "forwards.")
A lot of them are just hideous designs. FASA had a lot of 'barely even a concept sketch' level art going on in those tech manuals. I gather a lot of it came from a self taught draughtsman under a time constraint doing the best he could. By the time FASA had money for an expanded art budget that was more than just telling some poor guy "we need three paintings and the rest is pen and ink stuff that you do, sorry" their fans had already accepted the scrawly "plans" look with often visible traces of erased lines as a house style.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
I'm not sure there's too much terrain that walkers can navigate that Ogres can't...!
Giant stairs?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #26
six's monkey

Eh-leh-vhate!!
:-)
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
Which was lifted (directly in the case of the Marauder/Zentradi Officer Pod) from Macross.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #28
Sinkuu

yeah, but that's just design ideas. the whole "unseen/reseen" fight was because of the Harmony Gold and whatever else Battletech initally borrowed from (I know a chunk were macross, I forget where others like the shadow hawk and wolverine came from), and that whole copyright debacle.

the whole reason the Inner Sphere called it a "Mad Cat" was because it looked like a cross between a Marauder and a Catapult. Never mind the Clan designation was "Timber Wolf".
Old 07-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by six's monkey View Post
Eh-leh-vhate!!
:-)
Might want to revisit the Swamp rule for Ogres, in that case...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
hcobb

Bi-pedal battle mecha in Ogre 6th edition: Inf.

Tags
fan comic, mecha, ogre/gev