Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #41
Langy

Default Re: Changing combat time to more than 1 second/turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You mean, they're in yards?
...yeah. No idea why my fingers wrote 'feet' when I meant 'yards':/

They're the same units as (almost) everything else in the game:p
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #42
Anthony

So, this inspired me to blog about how far it's actually possible to move. Executive summary: moving your Move in 2s is probably somewhere between realistic and generous, doing it in 1s is ridiculous.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #43
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
So, this inspired me to blog about how far it's actually possible to move. Executive summary: moving your Move in 2s is probably somewhere between realistic and generous, doing it in 1s is ridiculous.
From a standing start, yes. Even more so both starting and stopping. But on a flat line, Bolt's maximum split was the equivalent of 13.6 yds/sec.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 06-23-2014 at 08:09 AM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #44
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
From a standing start, yes. Even more so both starting and stopping. But on a flat line, Bolt's maximum split was the equivalent of 13.6 yds/sec.
Also note that using realistic acceleration rates and speed rules over 1 second and also longer timeframes will lead to extremely complicated rules.

5 yards might well be too fast for an average human's 1 second stop and start but it's too slow for his all-out sprint and a double-time/practi8ca/ combat move is probably a separate issue from that.

After that you'll get into the differences between anaerobic and aerobic exertion which is something Gurps does not currently handle well at all.

Nope, multiple cannisters of annelids and probably too complex to be addressed even in a hypothetical 5e. In early simulationist game systems it was not at all rare to have 4 or 5 Move rates. Having an even progression of speeds made even those unrealistic too.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #45
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Nope, multiple cannisters of annelids and probably too complex to be addressed even in a hypothetical 5e. In early simulationist game systems it was not at all rare to have 4 or 5 Move rates. Having an even progression of speeds made even those unrealistic too.
"You may accelerate and decelerate at up to encumbered Move/2" handles the worst problems handily. Everything else is fine, or at least fine enough.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #46
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
"You may accelerate and decelerate at up to encumbered Move/2" handles the worst problems handily. Everything else is fine, or at least fine enough.
It addresses very little but Anthony's issue. Among other things it doesn't touch anaerobic v. aerobic.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #47
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It addresses very little but Anthony's issue. Among other things it doesn't touch anaerobic v. aerobic.
That's what Last Gasp is for. In any case, it's generally less complicated to use longer time scales than shorter, just because you have to deal with fewer 'accelerate' actions. On a 3s time scale, you can basically assume that it takes 1 turn to accelerate or decelerate and after that you're at full speed. On a 1s scale, it doesn't work that well.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #48
DouglasCole

Quote:
That's what Last Gasp is for. In any case, it's generally less complicated to use longer time scales than shorter, just because you have to deal with fewer 'accelerate' actions. On a 3s time scale, you can basically assume that it takes 1 turn to accelerate or decelerate and after that you're at full speed. On a 1s scale, it doesn't work that well.
Thanks for the shout-out; I'll admit that TLG doesn't deal well with ongoing aerobic activity. That's been on my "to-do" list since the article's inception, but I've not gotten around to it yet. I have some ideas, of course.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #49
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Surrendering takes longer than most attacks.
Which is why, if you want to surrender, you back up or duck behind cover, then clearly signal your surrender. "I yield!" can certainly be stated in 1 second, during which time you can either take All Out Defense (Double) to increase your ability to survive if your surrender isn't noticed (or accepted). Against a cautious but honorable foe, dropping your weapon is a free action and certainly increases the chances he'll accept your surrender.

Quote:
Also, in cinematic campaigns, the one second turn prevents combat dialogues or villain monologues.
In movies, dialogues and monologues either take place while exchanging blows or during lulls in the combat, both of which GURPS can handle. The former could end up choppy - I'd suggest doing it a sentence at a time, then waiting until enough time has elapsed before the next (the character may stop in mid-sentence if hit - "You fight like a dairy fa-aarrrggghhh!"). In books, comics, and anime, time is often ignored for dialogue (characters can deliver monologues explaining their too-fast-to-see ultimate technique while doing it) - so just do the same thing!
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Surrendering takes longer than most attacks.
Huh? Dropping a weapon and saying "I surrender" are both Free Actions. Raising your hands is a Ready. Now if you mean, drafting a formal armistice treaty, or making a white flag from improvised materials, or whatever are Long Actions in GURPS, well yes. Shouldn't they be, though?

Quote:
Also, in cinematic campaigns, the one second turn prevents combat dialogues or villain monologues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B363
Talk. You can always talk. If the GM wants to be realistic, he should allow only one sentence of communication per second . . . but it is usually more fun when you ignore this limitation!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, combat time