Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Sindri

Default Kusari

Is there a reason behind the persistent lack of strength on the kusari statline?

What is it about the opposite blade kusari mounting on a kusarigama that allows you to use it as a one handed kama and should it really be strictly better than the butt mounted version?

Aside from hidden kusari and cost and weight is there any reason to use a 2 yard kusari over a 4 yard kusari?
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
DAT

Default Re: Kusari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
Is there a reason behind the persistent lack of strength on the kusari statline?

What is it about the opposite blade kusari mounting on a kusarigama that allows you to use it as a one handed kama and should it really be strictly better than the butt mounted version?

Aside from hidden kusari and cost and weight is there any reason to use a 2 yard kusari over a 4 yard kusari?
Ready time.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
I can only guess... But I assume it's because someone quite weak could wield it, bu someone of great ST can use their full ST when they smack someone with it. Having a ST statistic for the weapon would cut off damage capability at 3X the listed ST.

Quote:
Because what you have now is essentially a flail with a blade on the handle. With the attachment on the butt, you don't have the leverage to attack one handed, you have a handy anchor point and the attack action comes from the opposite hand. I think you should be able to attack one handed with the butt mounted version if you hold the weapon inverted, but they don't allow for that in the rules.

Quote:
Mostly I would say ready time. Kusari are readied like whips, so a 2 yard kusari is readied in one maneuver, and a 4 yard in two.

The other concern is that you need room to swing it, so in dense trees, with people close by or indoors, you need far less clearance to attack with the 2 yard version than with the 4.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Ready time.
What is this an answer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I can only guess... But I assume it's because someone quite weak could wield it, bu someone of great ST can use their full ST when they smack someone with it. Having a ST statistic for the weapon would cut off damage capability at 3X the listed ST.
Um, kusari have a ST stat. They just don't have a even though it really seems like they should.

Quote:
Because what you have now is essentially a flail with a blade on the handle. With the attachment on the butt, you don't have the leverage to attack one handed, you have a handy anchor point and the attack action comes from the opposite hand. I think you should be able to attack one handed with the butt mounted version if you hold the weapon inverted, but they don't allow for that in the rules.
Even the two yard kusari is pretty long. It seems like it's going to be weighing down your movements pretty much the same wherever it's attached.

Quote:
Mostly I would say ready time. Kusari are readied like whips, so a 2 yard kusari is readied in one maneuver, and a 4 yard in two.
They are? It says "a" ready maneuver to adjust reach from 1-4.

Quote:
The other concern is that you need room to swing it, so in dense trees, with people close by or indoors, you need far less clearance to attack with the 2 yard version than with the 4.
Oh right. I just sort of assume people will be using the snap option but that's a fair point.

Last edited by Sindri; 05-29-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The lack of a dagger on ST for the kusari is an erratum. Per Martial Arts, p. 228, kusaris are two-handed weapons.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Sindri

I did eventually find a reference to kusari being readied as a whip, so I guess that is indeed a factor.

If a kusari weapon is used one handed what skill should it use? Still kusari or flail or even whip? Should anything else change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The lack of a dagger on ST for the kusari is an erratum. Per Martial Arts, p. 228, kusaris are two-handed weapons.
Thanks!

Tags
combat, kusari, low-tech, low-tech companion 2, martial arts