Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
chang

Default trouble understanding the one shot items

hey...
munchkinman posted this in another thread and im having difficulty understanding it well. I think i have play one-shot item wrong for a while now. I think i have being playing one shot item as "usable only once" cards; hence I have never played one-shot items as "carried" they always went from my hand >> use when i could use them >> discard

By doing this I might had had discard / charity some in the past when i could have maybe just carried them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
.... You may play any Item to the table, even if you can't use it (e.g., Hands are full, wrong Class), or you aren't going to use it right now (like one-shot Items). You just have to turn an Item sideways if you aren't using it. However, you are not required to play all of your Items to the table. And, remember, you can only carry one Big Item, so that means you can only have one in play. All of the other cards must remain in your hand.
so cards like
in munchkin: wishing ring, flaming poison potion (and all potion for that matter), pretty ballons
in super munchkin: black coffee, rock of repentance.
Can be put down in the table as "carried" AND THEN play when i need to? they dont need to be kept in my hand and play from them?

I dont fully understand "usable once only" cards vs "one-shot item" cards.
If i got ur post correctly the one-shot item seem to be like the "usable only once" cards but with gold value in them? and which mean you can carried them?

I also wonder about this when you reply to my post here (thx btw) http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=124810 but the thread was closed before i could ask further :)

I figured i ask bc it seems i have been using this cards wrong for close to 2 years.. LOL
thx
chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: trouble understanding the one shot items

Mod note: I am going to ask that no one BUT chang, MunchkinMan, Devin, or me reply to this note. The chance of further confusion seems to be very high, and some of you wonderful people are not as clear and concise in your explanations as you think you are. Thanks.

Taking your questions in random order:

* The previous thread was closed because your question was answered and the conversation was veering off-topic. Not your fault. In the Munchkin 101 forum, we strongly discourage extended discussions unless they serve to illuminate some aspect of the original question(s) or someone asks a relevant follow-up question. If people want to discuss tangential issues, they can start a new thread here (if the question is a legitimate question, and not fuel for a metadiscussion) or in the main Munchkin forum. That's exactly what you did, so we're fine.

* You seem to have a couple of areas of confusion. Let me try to break this down.

1) Item cards are cards with a Gold Piece value printed at the bottom (or the phrase "No Value," which I really wish we'd just called 0 Gold Pieces 13 years ago). Generally, Items are the only Treasures that can be played on the table and used later. (There are a few Treasures that are not Items but give a permanent bonus -- Really Impressive Title from core Munchkin is an example -- that may also be played on the table.)

There are some restrictions to this, mainly that you can only have one Big item in play at a time unless you have a card that waives that limit (Cheat!, Hireling, and the Dwarf race are examples from classic Munchkin), but this is enough to get you started.

2) "One-shot" Treasures are exactly the same as "Usable once only" Treasures, and should have that phrase or an equivalent instruction printed on the card ("Discard after use" or something like that) -- although we tried to clean those up in 2010, we missed a few.

3) Most one-shots are Items, but not all. One-shot Items follow the usual rules from Items, including that you can play them in front of you. The rules are explicit that one-shot Items may be played from your hand or from the table. The occasional one-shot non-Item must be played from your hand.

chang, if this doesn't clear up your confusion, please reply and let me know what you're still not understanding.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #3
chang

omg!!! i cant believe i missed this for close to 2 years.. LOL

First thanks for the fast reply, planning a munchkin night tnt ir tomorrow night. And yeap i understand why the preview thread was closed :D glad i didnt mess up opening this one

Now..
I think i fully understand now, but just to make sure: (please bare with me)

Lets say i have adquired a "flamming poison potion" card during my treasure hunting :); at this point i can either put it down as carried (no in used, sideways) or leave it in my hand (because maybe i want to play it directly from my hand so others dont know what i have)
If i choose the former and play it as carried, at this point I can:
1. choose to use it at any point to affect mine or other's combat (in case of the potion, i know that some like the wishing ring are more specific as to when to play)
2. choose to sell it during my turn
3. choose to trade it (no during combat) or bribe (during combat - mine or other's)

correct? did i finally get this right?

no wonders we had to make the house rules that "you can only trade from the table, except for 'usable once only' items"... LOL
again thx a bunch
Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

I think that looks right, though I'm going to review again in a moment.

However, I will point out that selling Items from your hand is allowed. This can be important if you have a hand full of Big Items you don't want to, or can't, use.

Also, I do want to say that turning one-shot Items sideways is a personal choice, and not necessarily a requirement. Most people stage the combat on the table, and place one-shot Items that are being used closer to the munchkin who is fighting, or the Monster(s), depending on for which side the Item has been played, but basically in that combat staging area. As a personal preference, I turn them sideways, and no one can really say you're doing it wrong if you do, too.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
chang

I though i reply to this earlier <.<

yes, you can sell from ur hand, but you can not trade from ur hand, right?

Yea, we kept them (one-shot item) pile on each other with the name visible (for us to remember what we had) and sideways. I think that way keeps the game table better, cleaner :)

Anyway... wow you cant imaging how much of a gameplay change that was.. LOL :D

thx guys
ps munchkinman unless you (or another mod) find an error later in the sample i posted or more input i think i got this, i played like that last night :) I ll check later just in case, otherwise thanks a bunch.

Last edited by chang; 04-17-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

You are correct: Items may only be traded from those you have in play.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
chang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You are correct: Items may only be traded from those you have in play.
cool thx.. :)