Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Baldo

Default [Powers] Leech and nonsapient victims

Leech "only affects living beings", but Gurps Powers says nothing about the SAPIENCE of your victims.
Can psionic/magic/whatever Leech and its various enhancements affect normal animals, plants and/or anything alive with a IQ score of 5 or less?
On a side note, if Leech "only affects SAPIENT living beings", the Morph ability of the Vampirism power (GURPS Powers p.135) needs a "Sapient Forms Only" limitation, but I can't decide the price (-10% or -20%?), any suggestions?

Thanks.
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [Powers] Leech and nonsapient victims

Leech affects living things. Id doesn't say anything about their brains because there's no restriction based on brains unless you LIMIT it to such. With a limitation :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
Can psionic/magic/whatever Leech and its various enhancements affect normal animals, plants and/or anything alive with a IQ score of 5 or less?
Rules-as-written, Leech works on anything the referee defines as "alive".

Rules-as-intended, I do believe Kromm has posted something about it being intended to work on targets with IQ 1 or higher and that if we wanted it to work on IQ 0 targets we could flip that as a zero-cost feature (which stops it from working on IQ 1+ targets) or a +100% modifier (which lets it work on both). I vaguely recall something about a modifier to make it work on non-living targets instead / as well ...

I'd suggest searching the forums.

Quote:
On a side note, if Leech "only affects SAPIENT living beings", the Morph ability of the Vampirism power (GURPS Powers p.135) needs a "Sapient Forms Only" limitation, but I can't decide the price (-10% or -20%?), any suggestions?
I'd price that as a -20% Accessibility modifier.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

I would say greater than -20% as while sapients are rather common, it's much harder to hunt secretly. The world is full of trees with more than enough hit points to keep a plant-pire happy.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Rules-as-written, Leech works on anything the referee defines as "alive".
Correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Rules-as-intended, I do believe Kromm has posted something about it being intended to work on targets with IQ 1 or higher and that if we wanted it to work on IQ 0 targets we could flip that as a zero-cost feature (which stops it from working on IQ 1+ targets) or a +100% modifier (which lets it work on both). I vaguely recall something about a modifier to make it work on non-living targets instead / as well ...
Correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I had asked:

Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Hi Sean, A point was brought up in the Help creating life-draining touch ability? thread, that the basic Leech ability allowed for draining HP from plants. The text does seem to support this, but it feels overpowered to me that a non-limited leech can just go suck a tree for healing, without having to worry about victims that might fight back. Is that really supposed to be the idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
No. The idea is that you can use Leech on things that have IQ. IQ 0 trees and grass shouldn't count.
Followed up by:

Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Would a variant Leech(Plants), like the mentioned Leech(Mechanical), be a valid extension of the rules?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm

Yes, I think that's a good variant.

Sentience appearing to be the main determinant, but once you branch into nonsentience, it looks like categories become necessary. I would rather keep such stuff away from PCs, as a general rule, but I am conservative that way. I cannot think of many examples of Leech being used on non-sentients.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I would say greater than -20% as while sapients are rather common, it's much harder to hunt secretly. The world is full of trees with more than enough hit points to keep a plant-pire happy.
much more importantly, there are much larger ethical issues: feeding off of cattle gets you labeled a theif at the very worst, feeding off of people gets you labeled as a monster.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
much more importantly, there are much larger ethical issues: feeding off of cattle gets you labeled a theif at the very worst, feeding off of people gets you labeled as a monster.
Add Steals Other Score: FP and suddenly you're just a friendly neighbourhood daemon.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Now a days, people keep a look out for missing pets as in the real world it can be a sign of up and coming serial killers.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Baldo

Thanks for all the replies, if Leech works fine even with nonsapient animals, my character is going to add a new quirk: Loves draining cats for sport.

Still, it sounds weird Steal Youth can give you eternal youth by draining the occasional cat...
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Fwibos

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, if Leech works fine even with nonsapient animals, my character is going to add a new quirk: Loves draining cats for sport.

Still, it sounds weird Steal Youth can give you eternal youth by draining the occasional cat...
Weird...or weird-awesome?

It's dangerous to drain cats alone! Take THIS!
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leech, leech victims morph, sapience