Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
trappedslider
Banned

Default Why isn't GURPS as popular as the D20 system and games

After waiting for a while i decided to play devil's advocate and ask the question:

Why do you think GURPS isn't as popular as the D20 system and its games and why poeple don't like GURPS.

*hides in a bunker somewhere far away*
trappedslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Mylon

Default Re: Why isn't GURPS as popular as the D20 system and games

GURPS isn't too popular with my friends because they just think of role playing in a different manner. They tend to prefer the high fantasy "cool" stuff, and the system itself favors a grittier style of play. Character creation is fairly detailed and requires a decent amount more thought than the d20, "I'm a mage" style of character creation. Thus D20 allows to pick a role and have a character they don't need to put much thought into and the system isn't too complex (for them, anyway). Which I should note is a valid style of play. Characters can develop a much better sense of personality and history through play than if it was all pre-written.

My primary complaint against GURPS is the probability curve. My secondary one is the stat/skill relationship. Unless every stressful (ie, adventuring) action is at a -4 penalty or so, half of the probability curve goes unused, which in turn encourages players from spend points on other skills until they hit that "probability ceiling", after which they move on to yet another skill...
Mylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
HeroPenguin

Didn't we have this thread a few months ago? It seems awfully familiar...

Either way, I'm pretty sure it boils down to marketing and the pregenerated settings and characters made. Not everyone cares enough to make things from scratch, or handle the mechanics or explore every possible acton or reaction. Why do you think video games are so popular, beyond their graphics?
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
madickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedslider
Why do you think GURPS isn't as popular as the D20 system and its games and why poeple don't like GURPS.
Methinks a great deal of it comes down to the Kleenex factor. If you say "facial tissues," the average person will think Kleenex... If you ask a random co-worker if they are interested in tabletop RPGs, the most likely response, IME, is "oh, like D&D?" Although this seems to be overtaken more and more by the "like Everquest?" response...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
weasel fierce

The man is right on the money.
The D&D brand name has an enourmous influence.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
This Name is Taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel fierce
The man is right on the money.
The D&D brand name has an enourmous influence.
That's rather like curing the problem with the symptoms though.

See, saying D&D is more popular because it's well, more popular, simply states that it is...ummmm...more popular...

It's like if the Surgeon General said "Why are people eating so much McDonalds these days?" and the team of researchers he asked came back with "Cause lots of people eat them, see?"

The question is WHY had D&D reached such a massive scale and WHY do other systems not seem to really challenge it's dominance?

Have you cuddled your Cthulhu today?
This Name is Taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
weasel fierce

My apologies. What I meant is, D&D has name recognition. Ask a group of people and a good chunk will say "D&D". Not roleplaying. D&D. Its synonomous (spelling?) to them.

I've had a long theory that D&D doesnt create roleplayers. It creates D&D players. Because most of them never do anything else, neither do they want to (A sad few are xenophobically opposed, in face)
Old 12-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylon
My primary complaint against GURPS is the probability curve. My secondary one is the stat/skill relationship. Unless every stressful (ie, adventuring) action is at a -4 penalty or so, half of the probability curve goes unused, which in turn encourages players from spend points on other skills until they hit that "probability ceiling", after which they move on to yet another skill...

you got that backwards for 4e.

Stressful situations are unmodified [the based assumption] it the non stressful that get +4. hence why Skill 12 is considered professional.

BUT in both d20 and GURPS is fined the probability curve does encourage them to stop leveling the key concept skills at a certain level, but actual they keep raising them so the can do more and more difficult takes [racking up the penalties]

and both d20 and GURPS probility distribution encourage people to get their secondary, and tertiary skills to a key probability level then leave them to either raise the primary, or pick up new tertiary skills.

to me the Populart of d20 has nothing to do with it machanics.

it becuase D&D uses it, create a huge base population that publishers can tap into for free, produces a lot of material for it. [it polatart is a not partical reated to d20 actually]

So it vissble, lots of material, anbd give it a group depended game work like a lowest common dinomater to which system people know.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Name is Taken
That's rather like curing the problem with the symptoms though.

See, saying D&D is more popular because it's well, more popular, simply states that it is...ummmm...more popular...

It's like if the Surgeon General said "Why are people eating so much McDonalds these days?" and the team of researchers he asked came back with "Cause lots of people eat them, see?"

The question is WHY had D&D reached such a massive scale and WHY do other systems not seem to really challenge it's dominance?
no the Question is why d20, which the current eddtion of D&D uses is popular. not why D&D is popular

It is valid to to say d20 is popular becuase D&D uses, and not sucurla , becauyse D&D popularity is based on d20 at all. [it popular was build long before the d20 system existed]
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #10
trappedslider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
no the Question is why d20, which the current eddtion of D&D uses is popular. not why D&D is popular
thats part of the question the other part which not been addresed is why ppl like don't GURPS
trappedslider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opinion, popularity