Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
Jaware

Default Need help designing a power/Imbuement. (Kinda)

I once again consult the collective with the pondering a far greater than I.

Basically what I want to do is fairly simple. I want a "power" made that does a very specific thing. Only I want a skill roll to be used for it. Just like an imbuement skill. In fact, the ability would work amazingly if made into an imbuement. Buuuutttt, I just don't know if making your own imbuements is a balanced thing or not.

I have made the ability with powers before so it's not to bad or super op or anything.

Long story short, what I want is 1 point of crushing explosion damage to be a follow up to a piercing or impaling attack. (Preferably with one weapon and maybe hands for lethal unarmed strikes) but that point of damage is delayed until a trigger is made. (Trigger is a concentrate maneuver within 1 yard. Any further is a skill roll at a penalty equal to speed and range with a bonus qual to number of charges in victim.)

The reason why I want it as an imbuement skill is because I can make modifiers like. -5 to auto detonate on a predetermined trigger (like when he attacks me, when he runs away, or something similar) and a -5 for "enhanced" charges. Dealing 2 crushing explosion damage.

Anyway. All this being magical power modified, and the dots glow, enhanced dots glow a different color etc.

I would think its imbuement lvl 3. At least lvl 2. Also some sort of unusual background type advantage if not made an imbuement skill.

What does everybody think about it? Anything that i missed, or should not do because of breakage etc?
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Need help designing a power/Imbuement. (Kinda)

I think you've got it pretty well thought-out for an imbuement skill. Due to its nature, I'd go with Imbue 3 as the prereq; seems to be a General/Enhancement skill, as it can conceivably be used in melee or as a ranged attack, and doesn't act like a transformative ability.

Now comes the hard part: naming it! :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Jaware

Oh, I forgot to add that the damage scales with the number of charges in the target. So the damage gets gets turned to dice so 5 charges would be 1d+1 cr ex. Etc.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Colarmel

To me, and I may be missing something, it sounds like a weak form of Sudden Death. Do you want it to be a follow-up, or should the charges stick regardless of whether damage gets through?

Is there a radius to the explosive damage, or are they tiny enough explosions to only do damage to the target? How can the charges be removed?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
To me, and I may be missing something, it sounds like a weak form of Sudden Death. Do you want it to be a follow-up, or should the charges stick regardless of whether damage gets through?

Is there a radius to the explosive damage, or are they tiny enough explosions to only do damage to the target? How can the charges be removed?
Sudden death is fairly useless In my opinion I just don't see the usage.

It is a follow up, extra damage after initial damage (especially from internal explosions). Just delayable to take advantage of minute changes in the battlefield. Like to cause knockdown or shock penalties to an attack or to pop a surprise hit when their health is low or something similar.

They only do damage to the target. They are not large explosions. They naturally wear off over the course of 10 minutes or so. Otherwise something like a remove curse could be used.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
preteriteeggnog

I actually put a bunch of thought into turning advantages into skills. See http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=145913

Basically, any 4 point advantage that requires a Hard skill to use can be combined with the skill into a single Very Hard skill and have the same point costs to reach an efficacy of Stat+0.
preteriteeggnog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imbuements, magic, magic as powers, powers, skills