Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 01-05-2019, 01:24 AM   #21
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: What would Pyramid Volume 4 look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I suspect too much internal costs from having to edit and monitor it.
Selling advertising space for a single site with a fairly small readership in internet terms is not cost-effective. Note that advertising on this site is all from SJG, and I'm pretty sure they don't cross-charge themselves for it.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #22
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
As said this is basically how the second iteration of Pyramid worked. It does, however, give me an idea. A site anyone can contribute articles to. SJG has a moderator for quality and to prevent plagiarism or other inappropriate content. Content is free for anyone to read. SJG sells add space to make money. Contributors aren't payed but when they sign up to contribute they set up a tip jar that goes to their Paypal or bank account. Readers can tip authors of articles they like voluntarily If SJG can't make enough to cover costs from add revenue they could take a percentage of tips too.
That sounds like a complete nightmare. In fact, it sounds like trying to monetize these very forums.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #23
lachimba

IMHO and from the outside looking in with no internal knowledge of SJ Games, the only way I see something like Pyramid coming back would be if:

SJ Games didn't do it, but let someone else do it. You would be getting what is out on the Internet already, but paying for it. The person running it probably wouldn't make any money, it would be a hobby for them for which they recoup some of their costs. The product almost certainly wouldn't be of the same editorial or lay out quality, it might very well just be Pyramid the GURPS hobby webmag; or

It was DFRPG specific - something like $2 a week (or just a straight $100 a year) and you get an article a week which might be a monster, adventure or whatever. It could be funded by crowdfunding, whatever, but you still need to pay Staff (and perhaps multiple authors to produce it).

Once again I have no knowledge of the internal processes at SJ Games, so those two hypotheticals might be more difficult than I see and there may be others that are just as likely/unlikely.

All that said I don't see much liklihood of Pyramid coming back in any shape or form. Its likely that the short term future is a more modest number of GURS products that cost a little amount more than they already do today.

DFRPG having actual physical products (and being licensed to produce more) that have sold 'ok' is a nice countertrend
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #24
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
All that said I don't see much liklihood of Pyramid coming back in any shape or form.
I think the way to think of this is that Pyramid isn't coming back under current market conditions, but those conditions always change. SJ Games has shown a fondness in recent years for bringing back revamped versions of old products. And Ogre, Car Wars, and Fantasy Trip have been good for them. In some future, we may see a revived Pyramid. Maybe it'll be a more broadly based house organ with Ogre, TFT, and Car Wars content as well as GURPS. Maybe it'll be a general purpose gaming mag. Maybe it'll be a label for a series of products showcasing new authors. Maybe it'll be something else entirely. So, yeah, it's not coming back in the foreseeable future, but we can't see very far.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM   #25
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Maybe it'll be a more broadly based house organ with Ogre, TFT, and Car Wars content as well as GURPS. Maybe it'll be a general purpose gaming mag. Maybe it'll be a label for a series of products showcasing new authors. Maybe it'll be something else entirely.
And I didn't consider any of those options.

Though I'd be very sceptical that a gaming mag would be more profitable/cost effective that just actually producing new content for each and all of those products. Because that was at least one of the problems with Pyramid for GURPS wasn't it? Its better to just make GURPS content. So just make Ogre, TFT or Car Wars content.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:24 AM   #26
ColBosch

Ogrezine, at least, has been enough of a success to be in its second issue. Each issue is initially crowdfunded through Kickstarter, with open submissions for articles and artwork. Ogre's Line Editor then selects from the submissions he likes, they go through a normal editorial process, and every couple of weeks an article is posted for free. After a certain number of articles have been posted, they're collected into an omnibus PDF with some additional new material and offered for sale; anyone who backed the Kickstarter campaign gets the PDF automatically, and others may purchase it.

I don't know if this model would work for other SJ Games lines. I think running too many Kickstarter campaigns could induce fatigue in the fan base, not to mention the folks at SJ Games who have to control them.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #27
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Ogrezine, at least, has been enough of a success to be in its second issue. Each issue is initially crowdfunded through Kickstarter, with open submissions for articles and artwork. Ogre's Line Editor then selects from the submissions he likes, they go through a normal editorial process, and every couple of weeks an article is posted for free. After a certain number of articles have been posted, they're collected into an omnibus PDF with some additional new material and offered for sale; anyone who backed the Kickstarter campaign gets the PDF automatically, and others may purchase it.

I don't know if this model would work for other SJ Games lines. I think running too many Kickstarter campaigns could induce fatigue in the fan base, not to mention the folks at SJ Games who have to control them.
On the flip side, they have recently run Kickstarters through an SJG account, a Warehouse 23 account, and it looks like there may be a pocket box account too, enabling them to do three overlapping projects at once.

Where a one-man shop might falter at this, a company with divisions and resources for each account can pull it off.

Kickstarter fatigue is probably real though. Something to consider.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote