Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Creating a Super Mage/Cleric

I created a thread a while back about using 250 pts to design a versatile, spell-slinging wizard using only Powers instead of spells. It may not be your cup of tea but it might give you a grounding on possibilities. Here's the write-up:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...26&postcount=8

You could probably take the above design, swap out Extraordinary Luck [30] for Healing (Faith Healing +20%, Capped at 8 FP -20%) [30], drop Wizard!-14 [24] to Wizard!-13 [12] and add Priest!-13 [12], and be 95% of the way to having a complete character. Or at least something that you can get reviewed by your GM and see what he does and doesn't like.

Hope that helps!
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I created a thread a while back about using 250 pts to design a versatile, spell-slinging wizard using only Powers instead of spells. It may not be your cup of tea but it might give you a grounding on possibilities. Here's the write-up:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...26&postcount=8

You could probably take the above design, swap out Extraordinary Luck [30] for Healing (Faith Healing +20%, Capped at 8 FP -20%) [30], drop Wizard!-14 [24] to Wizard!-13 [12] and add Priest!-13 [12], and be 95% of the way to having a complete character. Or at least something that you can get reviewed by your GM and see what he does and doesn't like.

Hope that helps!
mlangsdorf, THAT is a very useful link - thanks a lot.

I have found useful not only your explanations as to how you built your character but also the whole thread that i started taking a look at.

I feel inclined in using your char as a template to build something more suited to my taste and take it from there - after all the GM is pressuring me to have it done so we can start movin'

Again, thank you for the input and if I have any doubts regarding your build I hope I can revert back to you for clarifications?

Cheers.
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeldhur View Post
Actually, and since this is GURPS and I am the only caster in the group, I was planning in accumulating the 2 roles - both the mage and the cleric ;)

I won't get to be as strong in any of those individual roles but I am hoping I can mix it up in such a way to be fun to play and useful.

Edeldhur
What do you mean by Cleric and Mage? Do you come from D&D, where the Cleric is for healing and support and the mage is a mobile artillery piece?

I second Divine Power as an excellent resource. It includes offensive powers, so you won't be a pure healbot.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Edeldhur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
What do you mean by Cleric and Mage? Do you come from D&D, where the Cleric is for healing and support and the mage is a mobile artillery piece?

I second Divine Power as an excellent resource. It includes offensive powers, so you won't be a pure healbot.

Well, I wouldn't say i "come from D&D" but yes, I have played D&D for many years and still do - lets put it like this: I intend to have the abilities usually identified with mages, like offensive spells, decryption magic, identifying objects, and also the ones with a support role like healing, buffing, removing debuffs, etc [apologies for the WoW terminology in here].

I definitely need to take a look at Divine Power.
Edeldhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Here is 150 point Cleric i build a while back it easy to spend the additional 100 points make the modular points bigger. at the cost of 5 points for ever 1 modular. Swapping some of Pacts to reflect the God of your cleric.

ST 11 [10]; DX 10 [0]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 12 [20].
Damage 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Will 13 [0]; Per 13 [0]; FP 12 [0].
Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8; Parry 9; Block 9.

Advantages: Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration (15 points) (Pact -50%, Physical +100%, Requires Reaction Roll -5%, Trigger: Hold Holy sysbol -20%)[83]; Signature Gear (Holy Symbol) [1] True Faith (Turning +65%) [25]

Disadvantages: Chummy [-5]; Fanaticism (Put the Undead to Rest)* [-15]; Guilt Complex [-5]; Lecherousness(12) [-15]; Pasifism (Cannot Harm Innocents)* [-10]; Sense of Duty (Innocents)* [-10]; Vow (Never refuse a request for aid)* [-15];

Quirks: Attentive [-1]; Broad-Minded [-1]; Humble [-1]; Intolerance (Necromancers) [-1]; Likes: Faye Wine [-1];

Skills: Axe/Mace-12 [8]; Carousing-12 [1]; Diagnosis/TL3-12 [2]; Diplomacy-12 [2]; First Aid-15 [4]; Naturalist-12 [2]; Occutism-12 [1]; Pharmacy/TL3 (Herbal)-12 [2]; Public Speaking-12 [1]; Religious Ritual-13 [4]; Shield-12 [4]; Teaching-12 [1]; Theology(Own Relgion)-12 [2];

*Part of the Pact

Divine Inspiration is used for paying for spells (prerequires ignored) And Adavatages from the Cleric's God, the Reaction Roll is based on Man Proposes, God Disposes (p148) in GURPS Fantacy

Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration, is 6 points base then +4 for ever point it provideds (15 in this case) [Powers p.63]

Pact [Basic p.113] Means this the god will only grant this power as long as do don't brake the (50) points worth of Disadvantges you agreed to live by [I noted which disadvantages were part of the pact with a *]

Physical [Basic p.71] means you can also use those 15 points on Physical advatages not just Mental ones and Skills.

Requres Reaction Roll [Powers p.110-111] is a lesser form of Fickle as ther are moderfers on the reaction roll, [Fantacy p.148 Man Proposes, God Disposes] which in this case you Pray to you god and try to confins him to grant your an ability (including spells).

Trigger: Holds Holy Symbol, means you have to Hold your Holy Symbol to Trigger this ability.

All together this means the Cleric has access to a wide range of abilities, spells and other Skills changible with a prayer to thier god, ans long as long as they remain faithful to thier god, and is useing them in a manner suitible with thier god's goals.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Advantages: Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration (15 points) (Pact -50%, Physical +100%, Requires Reaction Roll -5%, Trigger: Hold Holy sysbol -20%)[83]
Looks good. And borrowing a note from Powers: Divine Favor, that Modular Ability slot (as written it's a single slot, so can't hold multiple small powers) could be used as the core for a set of Alternative Abilities. He could buy powers exceeding the 15cp limit of the slot (but less than 83 cp) for 1/5 cost. For example, Healing (a common schtick of Clerics) wouldn't fit in the slot, but would only cost [6] to buy separately.

I do think the Pact might be going overboard though. In particular, the Pacifism and Vow seem to overlap with the Sense of Duty. The GM will have to be very mindful of making this character feel all [-50] cp of the Pact's disadvantages.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edeldhur View Post
mlangsdorf, THAT is a very useful link - thanks a lot.

I feel inclined in using your char as a template to build something more suited to my taste and take it from there - after all the GM is pressuring me to have it done so we can start movin'

Again, thank you for the input and if I have any doubts regarding your build I hope I can revert back to you for clarifications?
Sure. Like I said in the thread, I have some very specific ideas about the role of "wizard" in a fantasy campaign, and I understand they're not to everyone's taste.

There are lots of sample powers, as people quoted above, and Divine Favor is a good place to go for an alternate take on "Supernatural abilities through GURPS Powers". I wouldn't recommend it for your use because I find the buy-in to be an effective Saint is around 200 pts, and that doesn't leave you much space to also be a wizard at 250 points.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Looks good. And borrowing a note from Powers: Divine Favor, that Modular Ability slot (as written it's a single slot, so can't hold multiple small powers)
Actull your wrong there... the referace you refer to for a Slotted Modular Ability.

But Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration isn't slotted but a variation of Modular Abilities: Cosmic which isn't slotted but a pool and CAN have multiple small abilities.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Actull your wrong there... the referace you refer to for a Slotted Modular Ability.

But Modular Abilities: Divine Inspiration isn't slotted but a variation of Modular Abilities: Cosmic which isn't slotted but a pool and CAN have multiple small abilities.
Ah, my apologies. That does expand its usefulness considerably. Still, at just 15 cp it'll be hard to fit a wide range of powers in it, so I think supplementing it with Alternative Abilities could be helpful.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Ah, my apologies. That does expand its usefulness considerably. Still, at just 15 cp it'll be hard to fit a wide range of powers in it, so I think supplementing it with Alternative Abilities could be helpful.
As I pointed out the posted Chacter is 150 points... and still has 100 point top spend... the most obvious place spend it is Raising the 15point currently spent

if you were happy spending all 100 point on the modal ability you could have a Total of 35.

Though options like Energy Reserve (Divine) is another good choice.

Tags
cleric, healer, mage, magic, super