Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Monster Hunters] What happens when a vampire's head reattaches?

Here's the scenario: the party corner's a mature vampire in its den. With one mighty swing (and some help from a buffing ritual), the party's Warrior inflicts the requisite 27 points of cutting damage on its neck. The GM rolls some dice behind the screen, reacts in mild surprise, and announces the vampire has been decapitated. The begins debating the minutiae of where exactly they should take the body to burn it, but the GM cuts them off to announce that the characters can suddenly hear police sirens nearby. The party Sleuth asks for clarification, and the GM informs them someone is pounding on the door, claiming to be the police. The party runs out the back and flees, in the name of protecting the Secret.

Now here's the question: the rules clearly state that the vampire's head will eventually be able to role to the body and reattach. When that happens, is the vampire at (1) 0 HP, because the Warrior did 27 damage to a 27 HP vamp, and the monster description says nothing about negating damage if the HT roll for the vamp to keep its head fails or (2) 27 HP, because obviously reattaching a head requires healing the injury that made the head come off? This is particularly relevant if the GM needs to know if the vamp will be thirsty for blood to heal its wounds when it wakes up.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Monster Hunters] What happens when a vampire's head reattaches?

Being at 0 HP but conscious makes the most sense. It would certainly need blood, it lost a lot while decapitated!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Bruno

Detachable Head is part of Injury Tolerance: Independent Body Parts. For that advantage, severed limbs (and heads) are reattached by holding them in place for a minute - but this doesn't heal any HP. You just get your head back. Or body back, depending on your point of view.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Detachable Head is part of Injury Tolerance: Independent Body Parts. For that advantage, severed limbs (and heads) are reattached by holding them in place for a minute - but this doesn't heal any HP. You just get your head back. Or body back, depending on your point of view.
Ah, but, that trait also says you don't lose any HP when a limb is cut off. So, if the MH vampire has this form of Injury Tolerance, it's at 27 HP, unless the cops don't put the head in the same body bag as the "corpse." Then your party gets to have some real fun trying to protect the Secret from a very angry vampire in a hospital!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Ah, but, that trait also says you don't lose any HP when a limb is cut off. So, if the MH vampire has this form of Injury Tolerance, it's at 27 HP, unless the cops don't put the head in the same body bag as the "corpse." Then your party gets to have some real fun trying to protect the Secret from a very angry vampire in a hospital!
Either way, I think the correct answer is "putting your head back on doesn't change the number of HP you have"
Old 09-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Either way, I think the correct answer is "putting your head back on doesn't change the number of HP you have"
Right. The vamp would still be down to 0 HP but otherwise completely fine, and would almost certainly race to drain the nearest meat bag.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Phantasm

The real issue will be in the morgue, when the coroner stores the head in the same freezer as the body. On top of that, if the head doesn't reattach itself, if there's going to be a funeral involved the coroner may sew/staple the head onto the neck for coffin-viewing purposes. (This of course assumes the vampire had a legal identity and lacked the Social Stigma (Dead) for whatever reason prior to this encounter.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:10 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Right. The vamp would still be down to 0 HP but otherwise completely fine, and would almost certainly race to drain the nearest meat bag.
No, Detachable Body Parts says you don't lose HP when a body part is cut off. Thus, if one loses their head to some guy with a sword, you lose no HP. The vampire should be at full HP, minus whatever the party did before somebody made their Targeted Attack: Neck roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers p52
A cutting attack to the neck that inflicts full HP or more decapitates you without injury.
The vampire is at 27 HP, not 0.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
No, Detachable Body Parts says you don't lose HP when a body part is cut off. Thus, if one loses their head to some guy with a sword, you lose no HP. The vampire should be at full HP, minus whatever the party did before somebody made their Targeted Attack: Neck roll.
Monster Hunters vampires don't have Detachable Body Parts. They have a limitation on their Supernatural Durability that makes an exception for decapitation. Please note the text under vampire weaknesses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH3: The Enemy (p. 10)
A vampire's neck is also a weak point. Any cutting attack to the neck that does injury equal to the vampire's HP or more has a chance of decapitating it.
Emphasis mine. The vampire takes the injury, and it is that injury which prompts the HT roll to check for decapitation.

Quote:
The vampire is at 27 HP, not 0.
Nope. Trust me, I have a little bit of inside knowledge regarding the author's intentions. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Nope. Trust me, I have a little bit of inside knowledge regarding the author's intentions. :)
To make it clear for those of you playing at home, PK is the author.

Yes, I know, don't explain the joke, blah blah blah.