Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
six's monkey

Default Officer's Uber Hat?

Playing Apocalypse today for about the fourth time, I noticed the player to my left was wearing the Officer's Hat, which allows conditional compulsion of any Militia classed player.
Another card came into play (can't recall its name now) that indicated it removed or protected from any militia-related disadvantages on items.

Does the fact that the hat acts on the Militia portion of a player count as a disadvantage of the item? We figured not, but I could see where maybe it would have, so I'm asking.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Officer's Uber Hat?

The other card was likely Martial Law Declared, which removes Militia-related restrictions on Items, which is different to Militia disadvantages.

Item restrictions refer to the "Usable by Militia Only" and "Not Usable by Militia" text which appears on some Items. It would not protect you from the Officer's Cap.

However, if there was a player that was a Super Militia (with no other Class), they could probably ignore the compulsion to join the combat. That is a disadvantage of being a Militia, so it would be covered by being a Super Munchkin with only the Militia Class in my opinion.

Last edited by Clipper; 03-17-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
six's monkey

Thank you for the card ID.
'Restrictions on items' is a Munchkin 'term of art' then, meaning limits on equip-ability?
That makes sense, though I don't recall spotting the term with that meaning spelled out like that.
I had been looking at the "any Militia" player target designation of the hat as a "limitation" on its abilities, but removing that would be a large increase in potency. OTOH, Martial Law might have been intended to allow such an action which would under normal law be an abuse of power. :-)

Eventually, it seems, a Black's Munchkin Dictionary may be called for.
(Mostly happy) sigh.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
Clipper

I don't recall the term being spelled out either, but I couldn't see any other interpretation of the text being valid in this case.

I hadn't considered the case of how the declaration of martial law affects the wearer of the Officer's Cap, though. I would agree that the Officer's Cap is restricted to being used on Militia. However, whether we can call that a restriction on an Item is difficult to say. If it is, it means the Cap could compel anyone.

This is a case where I am no longer fully certain of my earlier answer. In my opinion, I think the earlier answer is still correct, but I would accept a ruling to the contrary without argument.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
six's monkey

You see my point now.
Conceptually, under a Martial Law situation, an Officer -might- be able to compel assistance from anyone. Of course, making sense in-character does not grant the force of a rule.