Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #31
Onkl

Default Re: Novice GM running GURP fantasy odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't actually know that this would happen, because I don't normally allow Luck, though.
In my current cinematic campaign it is mandatory to take Luck [15] and I do allow the Flesh Wounds cinematic option (Although they have to saved the CP they intend to use before hands, I do not allow them to go into CP-debt).

Now, my players are certainly not the best roleplayers around but this lead to characters being more heroic because failure is not the first thing on their mind when trying something difficult.

And that, quite frankly, I like a lot! But at always, your mileage may vary.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #32
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Now, my players are certainly not the best roleplayers around but this lead to characters being more heroic because failure is not the first thing on their mind when trying something difficult.

And that, quite frankly, I like a lot! But at always, your mileage may vary.
It does; by my personal definition that's virtually the opposite of heroism. Or you could say it's movie heroism rather than real heroism.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
DwarvenHeart

First off, thank all of you for your wonderful advice and compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Where are you?
(Some of us might like to join, if you have open seats!)
I'm located in central Michigan (geographically speaking, not the college). If you're anywhere close, message me and we'll see about meeting up. I don't have open chairs but I have an experienced gamer who's not playing this game and has carried the GURPS torch with me against my other experienced gaming friends without any avail. It would be nice to meet some local GURPS guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
So it sounds as if we've now covered what I take to be the three biggest pitfalls awaiting a beginning GURPS GM:

1) ...

2) ...

3) The players, who are used to less realistic systems...

I like your idea of using 'luck tokens' to solve this. ...

Right! That's quite enough from me. Dunno if any of that will be anything but obvious, but never mind. Hope the campaign goes well!
Thanks for not delving too deeply into what others have said or I have already commented on. Some don’t put the time or effort into reading the previous posts and realizing what was said on page 1 is no longer an issue on page 4.

Luck; that's a good idea. I wonder if it would also work if I had a caravan peddler sell a token of luck to each PC before they leave town. I wouldn't give any knowledge of the game mechanics behind it. Instead of luck, I could make it a one use extra life. When they die, it will crumble and their HP will move to 0 and they'll be unconscious. When/if they investigate it, I'll be sure to mention (through a knowledgeable NPC) that the extent and life of the the charm is uncertain. “Jumping into a volcano maybe beyond its power as well as using it a months from now.”

On top of that, I want a sparring match. Not sure if I'll do it out of game or in, but it will be with their characters. In game could be a rivalry gone too far followed by a skilled magical healer arriving in the nick of time to save the fallen from Death's hands. I could tell them the purpose of this little exercise is so they know that healer will not be there next time.

What does everyone think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Seriously, you need to read the box on B p. 291. Is there something about Chapter 9 that everybody skips it?
Thank you for the exact page. Add me to the number of people who keep reading over that passage. I, literally, just read those pages and missed the box.

It seems harsh that some players get these adv/dis and some don't. Then again, good role-playing has it's rewards. And the players still have a great deal of control over their character through advancement.

I would like to reward the player who approaches me with the idea that his character has seen too much and, over a 4-6 month gap, wants his PC to become an alcoholic. That takes initiative and should be rewarded. Maybe not with -15cp but what else can I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
I had problems with my players showing up late, so I started offering a "good for one reroll, this game only" chit for those who get to the game on time. It has led to a great improvement in their punctuality, and I don't think it unbalances things. I'm just a little more cavalier about throwing dangerous things at them now.
I like the incentive idea. With this group, I'm more worried about distracted players and too many jokes during the game. I'm all about fun but I like having 90% of my fun in character not with side jokes of the last Family Guy episode.

Last edited by DwarvenHeart; 05-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
DwarvenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #34
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
On top of that, I want a sparring match. Not sure if I'll do it out of game or in, but it will be with their characters. In game could be a rivalry gone too far followed by a skilled magical healer arriving in the nick of time to save the fallen from Death's hands. I could tell them the purpose of this little exercise is so they know that healer will not be there next time.

Depending on the character makes, you might be able to pit them against each other. Call it a recruitment match by their local patron (they're going to have one, right? To send them on adventures, right?) trying to figure out who's worth what in what capacity.

Last edited by Jovus; 05-16-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #35
DwarvenHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovus View Post
Depending on the character makes, you might be able to pit them against each other. Call it a recruitment match by their local patron (they're going to have one, right? To send them on adventures, right?) trying to figure out who's worth what in what capacity.
I don't know how combat oriented the PC's will be. 100% even doesn't have to be the case but the closer matched the PC's are the more every PC will feel the lethality of the game. So I want to have a battle with average to good combatants. It may allow them some insight to how to work together to maximize their survival.

I hadn't, yet, thought of a patron. They were starting as craftsmen or fisherman from a small coastal village.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
Joe

Quote:
Oh, this sounds fun. It'd be a great way for the players to get to know the characters and the combat system at the same time - and especially good for letting them know in advance how deadly combat can be.

I like to start some campaigns by giving each character an opportunity to make a memorable entrance. This often means introducing the characters one by one, or two by two, during the first half of the first session, rather than doing the traditional "You all meet in a tavern" handshaking process. You start the story with just one or two of the characters, give some intriguing elements of plot right up front, and then have them try to unravel the mystery, introducing each further character in turn as another person they meet and fall in with along the way.

I mention all this because having some of the tough-guy PCs meet and instantly have a reason to fight each other can be a really fun way of introducing new characters - particular warrior types. Just make sure the rest of the group has something to do during the combat, or ensure it won't last too long - you don't want it to drag on if not everyone is involved; particularly in the first session.

Anyway, that's a thought, to add to your great idea.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #37
DwarvenHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I like to start some campaigns by giving each character an opportunity to make a memorable entrance. This often means introducing the characters one by one, or two by two, during the first half of the first session, rather than doing the traditional "You all meet in a tavern" handshaking process....
I'll be sure to do that. While I planned to have all the PC's know each other from living in the same small fishing village for at least 5+ years, it may still be worth it to have that kind of organic entrance. If not, I will use that technique in future games.

I'm also fond of coming up with interesting ideas as to why a character is out of commission when the player can't come to game day. Many of my DM friends just write it off as too annoying to come up with a creative idea each time.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Grouchy Chris

Quote:

I heartily applaud the idea of running a combat before you start the game proper. You can study the books all you want, but you won't really know the system until you play it. That applies to both combat and non-combat activities, but lack of practice at combat can really slow a game down.

I would also suggest making this a risk-free, commitment-free activity for your players, so they can try things without worrying that it's going to be the death of their character. They can also learn about what works and what doesn't when they're picking traits and equipment. It's no fun for the player if they learn that dual-wielding quarterstaves isn't, in fact, practical, and then have you tell them that they're stuck with it.

Let them try out any kind of build they want, without trying to lock them into anything before they even know their Rapid Strike from their Flurry of Blows. You'll have more confident, more satisfied players for it.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #39
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
I don't know how combat oriented the PC's will be. 100% even doesn't have to be the case but the closer matched the PC's are the more every PC will feel the lethality of the game. So I want to have a battle with average to good combatants. It may allow them some insight to how to work together to maximize their survival.

I hadn't, yet, thought of a patron. They were starting as craftsmen or fisherman from a small coastal village.
One-Use Patron: Spirit of Place, the mostly-powerless guardian spirit that watches over their coastal village ... arranges a shared dream where they contest against each other and against potential future enemies; with the characters waking up from the "obvious nightmare" when they die.

Gives you the ability to do a staggered/memorable entrance for each, and for them to test out the combat system (and whatnot) in a risk-free environment that the players know isn't going to happen again.

Highlight things that happened and people they met and things they fought in the nightmare when they show up during the game (something that happens occasionally but not too often). Leave it a mystery in-character though.

Or so I'd suggest.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #40
Stormcrow

Default Re: What I’m looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
The character sheet for cities is the heart of the City Stats book.
Ooh. Someone should make a sheet for this. I think I'll make a sheet for this. Unless someone has done it already?
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, gritty, gurps, novice gm, odyseey