Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #61
Lord Carnifex

Default Re: Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I grew up on a farm and I can tell you that, unless the animal did something incredible (saved your life, could play the piano, not that either of those ever came up), when it came time to kill them for food you did. We did, however, save one chicken because she was a very good ratter and would stun the rats in the chickin coup and throw them out for the horses to trample.

Sure, the first few years, it messed me up (I was between 4 and 6), but after that, it was just part of life. There was no "reaction roll" it just was the way it was.

Sure, for people who've never had to raise their own food, I'm sure that it's pretty traumatic and they're not mentally capable of handling it, but I've done it before and I could easily do it again. Just because the baby goat is adorable doesn't mean I'm going to go hungry. They're also incredibly stupid, dirty animals without a chicken's common sense.
And this doesn't just apply to hunters, herders, and other meat eaters. Those who grow their own vegetables and cereal grains can and often do start to see rabbits, deer, songbirds and other adorably cute critters as pests to be eliminated as efficiently as possible lest they destroy a crop.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #62
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
And this doesn't just apply to hunters, herders, and other meat eaters. Those who grow their own vegetables and cereal grains can and often do start to see rabbits, deer, songbirds and other adorably cute critters as pests to be eliminated as efficiently as possible lest they destroy a crop.
Hence why I though I saw so many of them on school grounds. I think some of the animals realize they safe there. Often cause of a double protection, adults don't want to risk the kids in eliminating them there, not wanting to deal with upset kids from killing the cute creatures around them.

Of course that doesn't work so well with farm kids who already learn that parent's attitude towards "pests" But it was allays near the school ground that I spotted Rabbits in the open ;)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 AM   #63
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
Definitely.

I visited a Buddhist monastery in England once, surrounded by farmland. They told me that they had real trouble with the neighbours early on because they refused to shoot or set up traps to kill the rabbits on their land and the rabbits were finding a safe haven at the monastery grounds to multiply and spread to the neighbouring lands. The neighbours simply had no appreciation for any reluctance to do pest control on rabbits (nevermind the fact that the monks don't even do insect control). It was a given that rabbits are to be exterminated.

Situation did improve once the monks began putting up fences around their grounds in order to keep the rabbits in, however.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #64
smurf
Banned

So far the Memsahib has seen dinner. Actually don't kill the young until they have bred.

Rabit tastes alright but I cannot get it out of my head I need to be skint and desperate to eat Rabit, maybe because the French part of the family keep serving it up and they are not skint or desperate.

The Memsahib's modus operandi is if it has a pulse it can be killed and cooked by one method or another and be eaten.

Whilst not gushing like a certain group of pre pubescents or pubescents 'cute' pictures of animals only work on those who think they are cute... hence the pug can be cute to some.

AFAIK from the fantasy genre, it never waxed lyrical about Elvish farming. So IMO the Elves eat bunnies, dears and other woodland majestic beasts (squirrels?) but may do it to cull a population and not eat all the young because the young provides new stock. They may even selectively kill some rabbit leaving the biggest and best to bride to breed and in many years it will evolve to become Megabunniinator and will still look cute to that certain groups of gushers chanting "awww, how cute!"

Strange how other farm yard critters are not considered 'cute'.

But I would agree with: Status: minor, Attractive and Pitable ought to reap a bucket of reaction points, maybe voice will help too. I get annoyed at squelching snails on the way to the pub because it was raining (poor buggers).

I had a character who had: charisma, voice, Vbeautifull (androgynous), over confident and could rack up a 7 to 9+ reaction mod. The wosrt it could muster was +3. Then Talents also help too.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #65
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sure I can. I can kill them on sight.
I'm sure you can, because you blew out your animal empathy out of necessity.
Just like killing people in war blows out much of human empathy out of necessity.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #66
Flyndaran
Untagged

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Sure, for people who've never had to raise their own food, I'm sure that it's pretty traumatic and they're not mentally capable of handling it, but I've done it before and I could easily do it again. Just becaus the baby goat is adorable doesn't mean I'm going to go hungry. They're also incredibly stupid, dirty animals without a chicken's common sense.
Of course repetition allows an easier time of doing difficult things.

And it's interesting that you suffix your "easily done" mantra with de-animalizing opinions.
Unintelligent, unhygienic, naive people don't elicit such subdued hostility, so writing it at all sounds like a defense.
I know that I have no mental or even much emotional difficulty in handling killing to survive. I just have a moral one that is personal and does not cause me to judge those that lack it.

Tags
bunny, cute