Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Cuteness

So ugly they're cute might mean ugliness plus a leveled version of pitiable. The very definition of Pugs. :)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #42
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
Y
And, yes, it only goes so far...perhaps Professional Skill (Butcher) includes a bonus to Will rolls against the cuteness of baby animals? :)
No, they just decline to make a reaction roll with their raw material. Their reaction to them is already established before they lay eyes on them.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #43
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, they just decline to make a reaction roll with their raw material. Their reaction to them is already established before they lay eyes on them.
Right there, calling them raw material instead of living breathing feeling animals is one method to handle the stress of killing "teh cute".
And you can't choose to avoid reaction rolls in realistic situations.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #44
bcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Either you're a PC and don't usually make reaction rolls anyway, or else you're an NPC and the GM can arbitrarily decide your reaction without rolling for it. In the latter case it would seem rather routine for the GM to forego a reaction roll for an experienced butcher about to butcher an animal.
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
Either you're a PC and don't usually make reaction rolls anyway, or else you're an NPC and the GM can arbitrarily decide your reaction without rolling for it. In the latter case it would seem rather routine for the GM to forego a reaction roll for an experienced butcher about to butcher an animal.
I did say realistic. In game, many rolls are avoided for speed of play no matter how unrealistic they may be at the time.

And I imagine that butchers every once in a while might have to avoid looking at animals in the eye in order to avoid hesitation. For one's job, that's what I would call a "positive" reaction.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #46
Danukian

Quote:
Many humans eat rabbits, cats, lambs, etc.
The sound of stomach growling beats the "dawwww" any day.
Awwww.... That is just the cutest bacon I ever did see... now hop up on my burger, Porky!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
Awwww.... That is just the cutest bacon I ever did see... now hop up on my burger, Porky!
Yep. I refuse to eat mammals, but if push came to shove, and I had to choose kill or starve, I cannot say with any certainty what I would do.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #48
cmdicely

Quote:
Or, you just have to interpret the reaction categories appropriate for the situation for someone who has to kill and butcher an animal either for immediate survival (e.g., food) or to provide for themselves through commerce, a Good reaction (which usually provides reasonable assistance, etc.) doesn't, to me, mean they don't kill the animal, it just affects how far they go out of their way to make the killing humane.

An Excellent reaction (which often means unconditionally putting the subject's interest ahead of the NPC making the roll) could mean that, and possibly even a Very Good reactionin some situations (Very Good will usually allow things which go beyond what is reasonable but not to the extent of totally unreasonable.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #49
David Johnston2

Quote:
Right there, calling them raw material instead of living breathing feeling animals is one method to handle the stress of killing "teh cute".
Sure I can. I can kill them on sight.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
Or, you just have to interpret the reaction categories appropriate for the situation for someone who has to kill and butcher an animal either for immediate survival (e.g., food) or to provide for themselves through commerce, a Good reaction (which usually provides reasonable assistance, etc.) doesn't, to me, mean they don't kill the animal, it just affects how far they go out of their way to make the killing humane.

An Excellent reaction (which often means unconditionally putting the subject's interest ahead of the NPC making the roll) could mean that, and possibly even a Very Good reactionin some situations (Very Good will usually allow things which go beyond what is reasonable but not to the extent of totally unreasonable.)
Quote:
Sure I can. I can kill them on sight.
I grew up on a farm and I can tell you that, unless the animal did something incredible (saved your life, could play the piano, not that either of those ever came up), when it came time to kill them for food you did. We did, however, save one chicken because she was a very good ratter and would stun the rats in the chickin coup and throw them out for the horses to trample.

Sure, the first few years, it messed me up (I was between 4 and 6), but after that, it was just part of life. There was no "reaction roll" it just was the way it was.

Sure, for people who've never had to raise their own food, I'm sure that it's pretty traumatic and they're not mentally capable of handling it, but I've done it before and I could easily do it again. Just because the baby goat is adorable doesn't mean I'm going to go hungry. They're also incredibly stupid, dirty animals without a chicken's common sense.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunny, cute